new syllabus from 2024 ??? (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

ใƒ„
HSC
N/A
Original Poster said:
apparently it'll be https://curriculum.nsw.edu.au/learning-areas/tas/enterprise-computing-11-12-2022, and tbh it seems quite interesting compared to the stupid 20 year old syllabus we have rn

edit: i'm so sad why does this get implemented as soon as i grad bruh

Etho_x

ใƒ„
HSC
N/A
This would have been such an interesting subject to have. Especially in such a time like now where our world is so technological and data-driven.

Hope the kids which do it get good use out of the subject - sounds fun.

jimmysmith560

Le Phรฉnix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Link in the original post has also been fixed for convenience sake. ๐Ÿ‘

Information Processes and Technology will always have a special place in my heart. As difficult as it is to bid farewell to IPT, the implementation of the new Enterprise Computing syllabus makes sense given that the IPT syllabus will be 15 years old by 2024 and that technology is always changing/advancing.

With that being said, while the 2024 HSC cohort will not get the opportunity to experience this new syllabus (and I definitely understand that you and other students in your cohort may not be happy about this), keep in mind that you retain the ability to access and use existing material that will help you throughout the current IPT Preliminary course and (especially) HSC course. Given that the 2024 HSC cohort will sit the last IPT HSC exam, you guys will have the widest possible selection of notes and past exam papers of any IPT HSC cohort that ever completed the subject. There is also the emotional factor which is the fact the 2024 HSC cohort will sit the last IPT HSC exam in itself.

It is also important to note that despite the age of the IPT syllabus, IPT is not an entirely outdated subject. In fact, several concepts that the current syllabus covers are still relevant and are likely to continue to be relevant in the long term. IPT can therefore still provide you with a solid technological foundation that you can further support by taking Software Design and Development in your particular case. If you approach this subject in an effective way, I am certain that your experience of taking IPT will be pleasant.

All the best! :D

moonsuyoung

HSC
Link in the original post has also been fixed for convenience sake. ๐Ÿ‘

Information Processes and Technology will always have a special place in my heart. As difficult as it is to bid farewell to IPT, the implementation of the new Enterprise Computing syllabus makes sense given that the IPT syllabus will be 15 years old by 2024 and that technology is always changing/advancing.

With that being said, while the 2024 HSC cohort will not get the opportunity to experience this new syllabus (and I definitely understand that you and other students in your cohort may not be happy about this), keep in mind that you retain the ability to access and use existing material that will help you throughout the current IPT Preliminary course and (especially) HSC course. Given that the 2024 HSC cohort will sit the last IPT HSC exam, you guys will have the widest possible selection of notes and past exam papers of any IPT HSC cohort that ever completed the subject. There is also the emotional factor which is the fact the 2024 HSC cohort will sit the last IPT HSC exam in itself.

It is also important to note that despite the age of the IPT syllabus, IPT is not an entirely outdated subject. In fact, several concepts that the current syllabus covers are still relevant and are likely to continue to be relevant in the long term. IPT can therefore still provide you with a solid technological foundation that you can further support by taking Software Design and Development in your particular case. If you approach this subject in an effective way, I am certain that your experience of taking IPT will be pleasant.

All the best! :D
Wait when you mean 2024 HSC Cohort, does that mean people sitting the HSC in 2025 can't do the old IPT?

jimmysmith560

Le Phรฉnix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait when you mean 2024 HSC Cohort, does that mean people sitting the HSC in 2025 can't do the old IPT?
That is correct. The 2025 HSC cohort will be the first cohort to complete the new Enterprise Computing syllabus and sit the first Enterprise Computing HSC exam.

moonsuyoung

HSC
That is correct. The 2025 HSC cohort will be the first cohort to complete the new Enterprise Computing syllabus and sit the first Enterprise Computing HSC exam.
NOOOO :( Damn it, I was considering IPT! I might try enterprise computing then. Oh and apparently software design and development is also changing to software engineering.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
NOOOO :( Damn it, I was considering IPT! I might try enterprise computing then. Oh and apparently software design and development is also changing to software engineering.
software is changing to software engineering - my friend does both ipt and sdd and she said they're completely revamping both subjects since nesa deems them to be too out-of-date (which makes sense, she was talking about how they still had to learn about floppy disks in the sdd course), i think the new ipt will encompass a lot of newer skills such as excel (not sure if that was in the old syllabus, but she said it's going to be a larger part of it)

yanujw

HSC
It's an electronic exam ๐Ÿคฎ. I mean I know it's a technology subject, but it still feels off to have hsc exams be electronic.

Etho_x

ใƒ„
HSC
N/A
It's an electronic exam ๐Ÿคฎ. I mean I know it's a technology subject, but it still feels off to have hsc exams be electronic.
They do that with Science Extension so it couldn't be too bad I guess.

Etho_x

ใƒ„
HSC
N/A
Is science extension good? How come a lot of people don't do it?
I did it for 2 terms, then dropped it for a reason I will outline below. The subject is of beneficial value if you intend on studying Science in university - particularly if your university course has a lot of research and experiments involved. SciX covers some scientific philosophy, in-depth scientific research techniques, and statistical analysis. Additionally, you complete a major independent research task for a topic of your choosing. All in all, a good preparatory course for uni Science.

In relation to why many people don't do it, the main reason is that SciX is not offered in many schools. Furthermore, SciX (even for 1 unit) is a very demanding subject - you begin your independent research task almost instantly and the amount of research which has to go into the task can be quite overwhelming. When I initially did SciX, there were about 13 people in the class. When I dropped the subject, 10 people had already dropped before me - all for the same reason: extremely demanding.

One other reason which not many people talk about (though I had this conversation with my teacher at the time who brought it up) is the scaling outcomes - the chance of getting an E4 is rather small. In the 2022 candidature of 658 students, only 8.4% received an E4 in comparison to 70.51% which received an E3. (https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2022_12_15345.html)

Just as a note to anyone who wants to consider doing this subject, I would not recommend doing this subject alongside another extension subject unless you can handle work pressure and can manage your time well.

Vall

HSC
Is science extension good? How come a lot of people don't do it?
I think its good for people looking to do science at uni (like someone above me said)
I did it for a term then dropped in the first assessment block because I quite simply didn't have time for it (at that point I was doing 13 units). I also had absolutely no idea of what my research project was going to be (so I couldn't really complete the assessment task).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Second this. Even I still think about the concepts I learnt in IPT back in the day when it comes to reading flowcharts and working out database schemas in my finance role. Newer ways of handling data beyond just the traditional relational databases and understanding optimal structures when building to meet specific requirements (eg regulators) is important, and the skillset also gave me a huge advantage when it came to reviewing things like Alteryx workflows and the logic behind them. Beyond this, understanding how data structures work also helped me in building machine learning capabilities in my previous role and enabled me to better understand the technical whitepapers on algorithms, which I was then able to use to steer the project towards certain methodologies and be fully aware of the benefits and limitations of such approaches.

The new Enterprise Computing course sounds really compelling particularly with topics like cybersecurity and data visualisation, but even the existing IPT course still has a lot of useful concepts which upon reflection (some 15 years after I did my HSC) was probably the most forward-thinking of all my subjects in terms of usefulness beyond high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)