NNSW/GC floods (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=11571

who else lives in the affected region?

i'm smack bang in the middle of it... but luckily my house is not low-lying. Could be the worst flood in the region since 1974, they say...

the gold coast airport is closed, with the runway underwater. my old school oval is under about 8ft of water (it's right beside a river), many roads are blocked, there are reports of wheelie bins floating away down streets, multiple landslides, people being evacuated...

at cabarita: 800mm of rain fell within a few days!

i wish the rain would stop already! the sound of it on the roof is starting to drive me insane!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh i saw that at lismore
evacuating most of the town

the waters have to rise like another 30cm to break the river banks

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm the question is wether this will have a significant effect on the farmers, and of sourse sydney's dam levels.

These are not drought breaking, but they are a great help. Many of the dams in the highlights are 100% full now. It should give the change for farmers to plant crops for summer.

Dams in Sydney should also fill up a bit. The rain in the last few days has soaked in the ground allowing the heavy rain seen to day to runoff. I heard that some parts of the cathcment got 80mm last night.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
The sugar cane farmers won't be happy in this area. This year's crop is basically worthless now, it got drowned. :(

Further out west, where they've had less rain (but still significant amounts) well - it should be helpful to them, hopefully.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
eek, a place in Queensland got 500+ mm!

Tweed Heads got 380mm in the last 24 hours

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Deus said:
hmmm the question is wether this will have a significant effect on the farmers, and of sourse sydney's dam levels.

These are not drought breaking, but they are a great help. Many of the dams in the highlights are 100% full now. It should give the change for farmers to plant crops for summer.

Dams in Sydney should also fill up a bit. The rain in the last few days has soaked in the ground allowing the heavy rain seen to day to runoff. I heard that some parts of the cathcment got 80mm last night.

A flooded harvest is just as bad as a drought ridden harvest - and our dams are at 14%, 12% and 8% - still far too low, while Warragamba sits at about 30%.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
the rain is a mixed blessing then...
it hasnt been this windy for ages, i like the rain but i do feel sorry for those in nrthn nsw/qld who are experiencing the floods

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
White Rabbit said:
A flooded harvest is just as bad as a drought ridden harvest - and our dams are at 14%, 12% and 8% - still far too low, while Warragamba sits at about 30%.
I'd even go so far to say that a flooded harvest is worse as it takes the ground a few years to restore its nutrients.

cayte

anti-mathmite said:
Send it all down to warragamba dam, we need it more than anyone.

I wonder if all the flood waters up there would even add an inch to warragamba if it was somehow transported down here.
No, sydneysiders just need to learn to manage water more than anyone else (to state the bleeding obvious). Perhaps turning on the tap and getting only air would make that point a little more salient for some city dwellers. That said, the whole country needed (needs) rain.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
very true...we misuse water, hopefully the restrictions will change all that though

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
ahh... water restrictions. won't have any of those up here for awhile now!

thankfully the rain has moved offshore. no longer housebound!! :D

_Benji_

HSC
cayte said:
No, sydneysiders just need to learn to manage water more than anyone else (to state the bleeding obvious). Perhaps turning on the tap and getting only air would make that point a little more salient for some city dwellers. That said, the whole country needed (needs) rain.
hear hear! im on rain water/ creek water..... u become soooooooo water conscious.

However.,.... if anyone wants to come and transport the river in my back paddock feel free...(our house is near the brunswick river which totally flooded- northern rivers).

Was fun thou.... running around knee deep in water in main street at 11pm last night drenched and of course no school today (our school backs onto creek).....and seeing canoes going down streets....
rather exciting.....

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah it has been fun... we have a stormwater easement on our property that turned into a mini grand canyon (lots of erosion, the water flow was cutting deep and narrow into the soil). now the water level has dropped, it's a cute little creek :)

the pic in my av. shows a semi-submerged pontoon in the tweed river, that was before the tide came up.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
anti-mathmite said:
Send it all down to warragamba dam, we need it more than anyone.

I wonder if all the flood waters up there would even add an inch to warragamba if it was somehow transported down here.
Idiot.

Why does sydney need the water they are on fairly lax water restrictions as it is (until it hits the maximum I will say that) and whats even stupider is you have suppliers to Sydney (such as Goulburn) that are on higher water restrictions to save water.

The Hume Dam is on 30% but the chances of water restrictions when I get back are slim. Its a pity I would prefer year round water restrictions. But oh well putting it on water restrictions doesn't do that much (considering the size of the dam and the size of the populations) unless you also restrict farmers intakes.

Also the Warragamba dam isn't that big, so there is no point trying to be a smartarse about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)