• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

North sydney boys high school entrance exam 2019 (1 Viewer)

kittykit

HSC
Hi all,

I am in year 10 this year and i want to go to North Sydney boys high school as my senior school for 2020. I have a few questions about the entrance exam:

-How hard is math? I am in accelerated maths at my current school and I am doing advanced maths this year. What should I be studying for the exam?
-I know for English there is comprehension and writing. Is the comprehension of all multiple choice or short answer, or a bit of both?
- How many people try out for year 11?
-To they take the report into serious considerations? If so do your half-yearly report of the current matter more cause my yearly reports are sort of trash. ONly 2a's and the rest b's

Thanks

Last edited:

Unknown Scholar

HSC
Hello again, it seems as though I can also help answer this question.

I did the North Sydney Boys High School Entrance Exam in the past years or so and made it, so I think my information should be somewhat accurate.

Similarly in my other answer, North Sydney Boys has two papers that are 1 hour each. Maths and English.
Unlike Normanhurst, their Maths and English Papers are longer and harder (then again, they are a higher ranked school). To give you an idea of how hard the maths is, of the 50ish people going for year 11, no one finished the maths paper. I think I only got about 60% of it done, skipping the rest...
Anyway, it's best if you looked at year 10 and 11 maths and make sure all your foundations and understandings are correct, those will help you more in the long run anyway (possibly including circle geometry). I believe they deliberately throw harder questions at you so make sure you have good exam technique (don't spend too long per question, skip and come back to it).

English is a different situation. As you know, there are two parts: Comprehension (50% weight) and Writing (50% weight).
Sadly, comprehension is all short answer, no multiple choice at all. There are about 4-5 different source materials/passages in total, each with about 2-3 questions per material. To prepare for this, you probably should review the use of techniques, and literary expressions/usage. Mind you, the source materials include pictures, poems, stories, articles and more, so be prepared for any sort of text/picture that may be thrown at you.
For the writing, it generally asks for you to write a creative piece on a certain briefing. Be sure to leave plenty of time for it as it is weighted half of the paper. Even though it says for you not to regurgitate pre-prepared pieces of creative writing, you can still do that if you have a really flexible skeleton structure/story. The most important aspect to keep in mind is time. You need at least 25 mins to write a decent, completed story/essay (if they change things up) and since it's worth half the marks, it can make or break your entrance.

As for how many people try out for year 11, it is variable. In my year, I had about 55 people try out (including me) but I've been told it can vary greatly. Since North Sydney Boys High School is a really high ranking school, they sort of pick and choose who they accept, meaning that they aren't required to take in 20 people to make a new class if they don't want to. In my year, about 10 people were accepted.

I do believe that they take reports seriously as another user on this forum asked about what an NSB interview meant, only to later explain that they asked him about his report, specifically the comments in his report. Though if you score really well in their entrance tests, I'm sure your report won't completely screw your chances.

Good luck studying for the entrance exams!

whoknowswho

HSC
N/A
Hi! I was the user that they called in to comment on my report! I started attending NSB just this year :)

Just make sure you do well in the entrance exam and the marks there will definitely somewhat shield other issues if they may be any.

Apparently I had scores extremely well in the entrance exam and so they were willing to look past my lack of achievements, a few teacher comments, and reoccurring absences.

Also to give a rough estimate on my reports, in the Year 9 Yearly report, I achieved an 3A's, 4B's and 1C however, in my Year 10 Half Yearly, I had achieved 7A's and 1B which is an immense improvement. In my opinion, they focus more on your recent Half Yearly and check to see how much you have improved over the past 6 months.

GOOD LUCK

kittykit

HSC
Hi,

Some questions

-What are some of the topic that they tested for mathematics and English
- How should I prepare for both

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)