not all christians are boring stereotypical bible bashers (1 Viewer)

jcnme

aussie-battler
HSC
two things i cant stand are:

(1) christians who are really boring and outdated, who are bible bashing freaks who give christianity a bad name as well as embarising the rest of us and god

(2) people who label ALL christians as boring and nerdy unfortunatly the many who are, give us all a bad name

having sed that, without tryin to start an age old controversy i want to point out that not all christians are anoying littl "know it alls" true christians are absolute mavericks and are deadly fun to be with.

i beleive that a life without christ is pointless...thats just my opinion... please repect that because god knows i respect yours... but trust me once you kno the truth and u start livin for god...theres no turnin bac...but your in for the ride for your life

well i think iv succesfully offended most veiwers
sori! i just wantde to put it out there...its just somethin that gets under my skin

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
yeah it is sad when some christians put people off the gospel- they may think they're helping, but nobody wants to be held up having someone screaming at them "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL"... its got to be done in love... at the same time it is equally sad when a professing christian wont speak up in defence of the gospel...

anyway... just as true as there are boring christians, there are just as boring non-christians.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
jcnme said:
(1) christians who are really boring and outdated, who are bible bashing freaks who give christianity a bad name as well as embarising the rest of us and god
(2) people who label ALL christians as boring and nerdy unfortunatly the many who are, give us all a bad name
having sed that, without tryin to start an age old controversy i want to point out that not all christians are anoying littl "know it alls" true christians are absolute mavericks and are deadly fun to be with.
i beleive that a life without christ is pointless...thats just my opinion... please repect that because god knows i respect yours... but trust me once you kno the truth and u start livin for god...theres no turnin bac...but your in for the ride for your life
sori! i just wantde to put it out there...its just somethin that gets under my skin
(3) Christians who can't spell

iwannarock

HSC
jcnme said:
but trust me once you kno the truth and u start livin for god...
see this is why people don't like christians.

since when did christianity equate with truth?

christians are generally narrow-minded people. thats my opinion.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
iwannarock said:

tons of christians are fine, the problem is that the narrow minded pushy ones who shove their opinion at you tend to speak for all christians..the other ones may not even bring it up

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
"not all christians are boring stereotypical bible bashers"

True, but why the take the risk of associating with one?...

Ellie-Bee

HSC
iwannarock said:

how are christians narrow-minded??

by saying what they believe is true is just that - what they believe. muslims believe that what they believe is truth too, as with buddists and any other belief system you care to name. does this mean that anyone who claims that what they believe is true is 'narrow-minded'???

its annoys me that people always bag out christianity while other religions are the same when it comes to saying what they believe is true.

there is bound to be a small minority of christians who fit the stereotype of being 'bible bashers' but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

thats my opinion.

iwannarock

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
how are christians narrow-minded??

by saying what they believe is true is just that - what they believe. muslims believe that what they believe is truth too, as with buddists and any other belief system you care to name. does this mean that anyone who claims that what they believe is true is 'narrow-minded'???

its annoys me that people always bag out christianity while other religions are the same when it comes to saying what they believe is true.

there is bound to be a small minority of christians who fit the stereotype of being 'bible bashers' but you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

thats my opinion.
he didn't say "what i believe to be the truth....or the truth in my opinion" he flat out said christianity is the truth.

believing in religion doesn't automatically make you narrow-minded. but the problem comes when you get groups of people that think what they believe is true, and another group of people that think what they believe is true and an inability to accept a difference in beliefs over a dispute. this is how many wars in history have begun, and the whole terrorism is being fueled by this "narrow-minded-ness".

lots of people have a belief but are still accepting of other beliefs and their existence though.

i'm not talking about the casual christian who believes in god or jesus and thats it. i'm talking about the committed christian who goes to church every sunday and reads the bible. these seem to be more of the bible basher types.

christians in general are also narrowminded when it comes to alternate lifestyles. gays lesbians etc they still don't like. women also seem to be disadvantaged. pentecostal families hell the women do AAAALL the housework/cooking etc and the men do nothing simply because of some passage in the bible. and being pentacostal they believe everything in the bible.

this is my anti-religious biased opinion of course.

to the original poster.......do you ever try and spread the word of god or the bible?

ediisjoz

HSC
nobody cares.

jcnme said:

Well. The thing is: learn to spell, life without christ isn't pointless, you're making yourself sound like the stereotypical christian, and finally, yet again - please learn to spell properly.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
jcnme said:

Amen to that (no pun intended). I'm right with you, jcnme.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
iwannarock said:
believing in religion doesn't automatically make you narrow-minded. but the problem comes when you get groups of people that think what they believe is true, and another group of people that think what they believe is true and an inability to accept a difference in beliefs over a dispute. this is how many wars in history have begun, and the whole terrorism is being fueled by this "narrow-minded-ness".

lots of people have a belief but are still accepting of other beliefs and their existence though.

i'm not talking about the casual christian who believes in god or jesus and thats it. i'm talking about the committed christian who goes to church every sunday and reads the bible. these seem to be more of the bible basher types.

christians in general are also narrowminded when it comes to alternate lifestyles. gays lesbians etc they still don't like. women also seem to be disadvantaged. pentecostal families hell the women do AAAALL the housework/cooking etc and the men do nothing simply because of some passage in the bible. and being pentacostal they believe everything in the bible.

this is my anti-religious biased opinion of course.
There are heaps of generalisations in the above 'anti-religious biased opinion'.

1) When people who are committed Christians, who go to church every sunday and read the bible, this does not automatically make them 'bible bashers'. The term 'bible basher' is such an over used term for someone who says that what they believe is true and therefore want to share that with other people. In all my time on this earth I have NEVER come across any Christian who would ram the bible down my throat and force me to repent or whatever.
If you believed something to be true - wouldn't you want to share it?

2) Women are not disadvantaged. And the generalisations you've made about "pentecostal" families are pretty out there. Maybe you mean "fundamentalist" Christians?? Can you find the bible passage you are talking about?

3) Christians, in general, do not doubt the existance of other religions and I know plenty of Christians who are currently studying and learning more about those religions. Its not like your average Christian denies that there are other belief systems in existance.

4) The reason Christians are "narrow-minded" towards "alternate lifestyles" is because of what it says in the bible. Its not like because Christians believe that these lifestyles are wrong they can therefore not accept or be friends with or whatever with homosexual people. Yes, there is a small minority of Christians who hate gay people and believe that they should be cast out - but yet again you cannot say that because one small group of Christians believes this that the entire Christian faith hates the homosexual.

I am a committed Christian - yes, I go to church every week and read the bible. I am also female - and am totally not disadvantaged by anything the bible says or anything acted out in my church and have never met any other woman who is. I have many gay friends outside of my church friends and, while believing what the bible says, do not revile or hate these people - they're some of my best friends.

This is my opinion!!

(ps. This shouldn't turn the discussion into a personal one, I'm simply putting out there what I believe!! Its rad to have debates about this sort of thing!) :)

iwannarock

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
There are heaps of generalisations in the above 'anti-religious biased opinion'.

1) When people who are committed Christians, who go to church every sunday and read the bible, this does not automatically make them 'bible bashers'. The term 'bible basher' is such an over used term for someone who says that what they believe is true and therefore want to share that with other people. In all my time on this earth I have NEVER come across any Christian who would ram the bible down my throat and force me to repent or whatever.
If you believed something to be true - wouldn't you want to share it?

2) Women are not disadvantaged. And the generalisations you've made about "pentecostal" families are pretty out there. Maybe you mean "fundamentalist" Christians?? Can you find the bible passage you are talking about?

3) Christians, in general, do not doubt the existance of other religions and I know plenty of Christians who are currently studying and learning more about those religions. Its not like your average Christian denies that there are other belief systems in existance.

4) The reason Christians are "narrow-minded" towards "alternate lifestyles" is because of what it says in the bible. Its not like because Christians believe that these lifestyles are wrong they can therefore not accept or be friends with or whatever with homosexual people. Yes, there is a small minority of Christians who hate gay people and believe that they should be cast out - but yet again you cannot say that because one small group of Christians believes this that the entire Christian faith hates the homosexual.

I am a committed Christian - yes, I go to church every week and read the bible. I am also female - and am totally not disadvantaged by anything the bible says or anything acted out in my church and have never met any other woman who is. I have many gay friends outside of my church friends and, while believing what the bible says, do not revile or hate these people - they're some of my best friends.

This is my opinion!!

(ps. This shouldn't turn the discussion into a personal one, I'm simply putting out there what I believe!! Its rad to have debates about this sort of thing!) :)
i'll continue this later but these are some passages that as a woman i'm sure you may be concerned about. although they're either taken from the old testament or "out of context".

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 )

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 )

i couldn't find the passages about the women staying home all day but i'll try and find them.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
jcnme said:

haha, ohhh mate how i could twist the meanings of your words

but i wont. i dont like alot of christians as they've fucked my family up

but hey, thats my opinion, i hope you know it

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you are a true christian then you are a boring stereotypical bible basher.

If you are like most christians who disregard half of the bible then you may not be such a loser but you aren't a true christian.

iwannarock

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If you are a true christian then you are a boring stereotypical bible basher.

If you are like most christians who disregard half of the bible then you may not be such a loser but you aren't a true christian.
exactly.

true christians must be jesus warriors and spread the word of god at every opportunity. spread the good word as they say. recite passages from the bible, and praise the lord all the time etc.

you know if people wanted to learn about jesus and christianity they'd ask.

no need saying "hey do you wanna come to church some time" etc etc etc etc etc blah blah blah to every new friend you make.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
iwannarock said:
i'll continue this later but these are some passages that as a woman i'm sure you may be concerned about. although they're either taken from the old testament or "out of context".

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 )

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 )

i couldn't find the passages about the women staying home all day but i'll try and find them.
Yes, they are taken out of context but I see where you're coming from. Ultimately as a Christian I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ - the new testament. I don't doubt what was said in the old testament - I've read it for myself. Believe me, I've spent most of my life questioning and finding out more about the bible and all in all it comes back to the life of Jesus. What he says is what I follow and believe and hope to live out day to day and MOST churches do that too. As I've said in my other posts there are always small minority groups in any religion/faith that take scriptures (whether the Koran or the bible) out of context and fundamentally.
Jesus coming to earth and dying for the sins of the world is ultimately what I'm concerned with!!

Seriously, when it comes down to it we're not going to get anywhere here!! I believe what Jesus taught and you believe what you believe!! There is no way that over an internet forum anything can really be achieved.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i want to point out that not all christians are anoying littl "know it alls"

jcnme said:
but trust me once you kno the truth and u start livin for god...theres no turnin bac...but your in for the ride for your life
this is exactly what pisses me off.

you contradict yuorself

you think you are all knowing and anyone who doesnt follow what u believe in is inferior.

iwannarock

HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
Yes, they are taken out of context but I see where you're coming from. Ultimately as a Christian I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ - the new testament. I don't doubt what was said in the old testament - I've read it for myself. Believe me, I've spent most of my life questioning and finding out more about the bible and all in all it comes back to the life of Jesus. What he says is what I follow and believe and hope to live out day to day and MOST churches do that too. As I've said in my other posts there are always small minority groups in any religion/faith that take scriptures (whether the Koran or the bible) out of context and fundamentally.
Jesus coming to earth and dying for the sins of the world is ultimately what I'm concerned with!!

Seriously, when it comes down to it we're not going to get anywhere here!! I believe what Jesus taught and you believe what you believe!! There is no way that over an internet forum anything can really be achieved.
i realised we weren't gonna get anywhere. sorry if i seem like a bastard but i have a brother that is a "born-again" christian and goes to church every sunday etc. the ammount of times he's asked me to come to church (which i went to once and didn't like it) is unbelievable. i've told him i'm not religious and don't like church but still every once in a while he'll pester me.

it really gets on my nerves.

do you go to maq uni by any chance? that ellie name seems familiar.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
iwannarock said:
i realised we weren't gonna get anywhere. sorry if i seem like a bastard but i have a brother that is a "born-again" christian and goes to church every sunday etc. the ammount of times he's asked me to come to church (which i went to once and didn't like it) is unbelievable. i've told him i'm not religious and don't like church but still every once in a while he'll pester me.

it really gets on my nerves.

do you go to maq uni by any chance? that ellie name seems familiar.
hehe, nah i go to UWS and my name is ellen not ellie - i prefer ellie tho. Nah you didn't seem like a bastard - not at all, it was cool chatting about it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)