not all christians are boring stereotypical bible bashers (1 Viewer)

gnrlies

HSC
I find this post very hypocritical.

On one hand its like "I hate a certain type of christians", but then you painted a picture of yourself to be one of these kinds of christians.

Your statements dont offend me, and it really is ok what you said, but like, its a bit unfair to the christians that you slagged off for doing one thing, but then with a name like JCNME and of course the preaching, it doesn't add up.

jcnme said:
two things i cant stand are:

(1) christians who are really boring and outdated, who are bible bashing freaks who give christianity a bad name as well as embarising the rest of us and god

(2) people who label ALL christians as boring and nerdy unfortunatly the many who are, give us all a bad name

having sed that, without tryin to start an age old controversy i want to point out that not all christians are anoying littl "know it alls" true christians are absolute mavericks and are deadly fun to be with.

i beleive that a life without christ is pointless...thats just my opinion... please repect that because god knows i respect yours... but trust me once you kno the truth and u start livin for god...theres no turnin bac...but your in for the ride for your life

well i think iv succesfully offended most veiwers
sori! i just wantde to put it out there...its just somethin that gets under my skin

mis0705

Not a new member
HSC
Well, I think that being a christian isn't just spending time reading the bible but also trying to apply it into your lives. If not, then how are other people such as non christians, suppose to know about the good news of Christ?

To 'yy', why do you want to bash the bible? what has it ever done to you?

Steph9

HSC
Before I became a Christian, I had this religious friend who used to Bible bash me and put all other religions down claiming that other religions worship a completetly different god-a false god. We eventually stopped talking to eachother and I thought, "well who was Jesus and what is a Christian?" I looked into the Bible to find out who Jesus was and found that a Christian is someone who is a follower of Christ. I find it disturbing that some Christians go up to non-Christians and try to make them convert without taking into account what the other person believes. I suggest you read Acts 17: 16 - 34. It talks about Paul going out to the Athenians and commending them for their religious devotions, particularly "to an unknown god". This passage opened my mind about how Christians should bring Christianity to other non-Christians.

Steph9

HSC
Have you atheists thought about where the world came from?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Steph9 said:
You would be quite surprised. Unlike most religions, alot of atheists aren't atheists due to their upbringing, it is due to the analytical nature of that person whom has questioned their world. So I think most atheists have thought about where the world came from, whereas I do think that alot of christians have not thought properly about the possibility of the non-existance of God and just accepted it out of hand due to their upbringing / preconcieved beliefs.

I think if you looked into it you would be quite surprised how much many atheists know about not just your religion, but various other religions that you haven't even begun to look in to.

Anyway, back to the question I posed please...

Have you christians really thought about the possibility of there not being a God?
To add onto that question, I would like to know what your questioning was... I don't want this to turn into the 'does god exist' thread, however I do want to address this question because I think it is pertinent... If Christians do not question their own faith, then they are merely bible bashers (unless they're forever silent about their faith).

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Have you christians really thought about the possibility of there not being a God?
Of course. But faith means that there is a belief that God exists. So it's not an issue.

Many here seem to equate faith with being stupid or narrow minded. Which is just as valid as someone else turning around and equating the "rationality" and "logic" of a non-christian to stupidity and narrow mindedness.

Besty

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea, as a Christian I've thought about it a lot. And i cant deny that i even think about it now. I don't think any christian would deny that they have, at one point, thought about this. But thats just me anyway.

quote: "If you are a true christian then you are a boring stereotypical bible basher.

If you are like most christians who disregard half of the bible then you may not be such a loser but you aren't a true christian."

Personally I'd have to say that thats not right. Sure, if you are a christian the bible tells us to spread the word of God. But at the same time, I respect other peoples decisions, and if they aren't interested, I wont push it. Not trying to be preachy or anything, but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't have wanted us to "force" Christianity onto anyway either.

If you're a true Christian, you believe in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. That about sums it up.

Besty

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea, as a Christian I've thought about it a lot. And i cant deny that i even think about it now. I don't think any christian would deny that they have, at one point, thought about this. But thats just me anyway.
I think you'd be quite surprised really... Sure alot of christians are interested in their faith, but they haven't undertaken a proper examination of their faith beyond looking into their religious text for answers.

Personally I'd have to say that thats not right. Sure, if you are a christian the bible tells us to spread the word of God. But at the same time, I respect other peoples decisions, and if they aren't interested, I wont push it. Not trying to be preachy or anything, but I'm sure Jesus wouldn't have wanted us to "force" Christianity onto anyway either.
The problem is, to a layman like me reading the bible - the fundamentalists seem to be following the wishes of God much better than you, where as you come up with wild confabulations to support your beliefs, their beliefs are much easier to draw out of the bible (even if completely nonsensicle). That is why it appears that alot of christians are picking and choosing what they believe and are perhaps not following the bible correctly.

Personally I choose to read the bible as a bunch of parables, but of course I don't believe the story of jesus etc which I also believe is a parable.

If you're a true Christian, you believe in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. That about sums it up.
So you can totally disreguard everything he said as long as you accept him? Cool!

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Steph9 said:
The current hypothesis of solar system formation is the nebular hypothesis, first proposed in 1755 by Immanuel Kant and independently formulated by Pierre-Simon Laplace. It states the solar system was formed from a gaseous cloud called the solar nebula. It had a diameter of 100 AU and was 2-3 times the mass of the Sun. Over time, a disturbance, possibly a nearby supernova, sent shock waves into space, which squeezed the nebula, pushing more and more of its matter inward until gravitational forces overcame its internal gas pressure and it began to collapse. As the nebula collapsed, it decreased in size, which in turn caused it to spin faster to conserve angular momentum. And as the competing forces associated with gravity, gas pressure, magnetic fields, and rotation acted on it, the contracting nebula began to flatten into a spinning pancake shape with a bulge at the center.

When the nebula further condensed, a protostar was formed in the middle. This system was heated by the friction of the rocks colliding into each other. Lighter elements such as hydrogen and helium evaporated out of the centre and migrated to the edges of the disc, thus concentrating the heavier elements to form dust and rocks in the centre. These heavier elements clumped together to form planetesimals and protoplanets. In the outer regions of this solar nebula, ice and volatile gases were able to survive, and as a result, the inner planets are rocky and the outer planets were massive enough to capture large amounts of lighter gases, such as hydrogen and helium.

After 100 million years, the pressures and densities of hydrogen in the centre of the collapsed nebula became great enough for the protosun to sustain thermonuclear fusion reactions. As a result of this, hydrogen was converted to helium, and a great amount of heat was released.

4×1H → 4He + neutrinos + photons

During that time, the protostar turned into the Sun and the protoplanets and planetesimals were transformed into planets. All of the planets formed in a relatively short time of a few million years.

Scientists estimate that the solar system is 4.6 billion years old. To calculate this figure, they examine an unstable element, which is subject to radioactive decay. By observing how much this element has decayed, they can calculate how old this element is. The oldest rocks on earth are approximately 3.9 billion years old, however it is hard to find these rocks as the earth has been thoroughly resurfaced. To estimate the age of the solar system, scientists must find rocks from space, such as meteorites – which are formed during the early condensation of the solar nebula. The oldest meteorite was found to have an age of 4.6 billion years, hence the solar system must be at least 4.6 billion years old.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Of course. But faith means that there is a belief that God exists. So it's not an issue.

Many here seem to equate faith with being stupid or narrow minded. Which is just as valid as someone else turning around and equating the "rationality" and "logic" of a non-christian to stupidity and narrow mindedness.
Noone has yet been able to deconstruct an agnostic argument as taking a logical jump, but you're welcome to try.

Calculon

HSC
N/A
It came from a collection of matter spewed forth during the big bang, which resulted from indeterminable causes, be they self creation (You can't discount this concept for the universe itself because you've only observed that objects inside of it can't do such a thing), a higher being (though this provides a more complex explanation, it may be correct nonetheless), or otherwise.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Faith is generally a passed down trait from your family, as many other social values are. This is rarer with atheism however (at least at the moment), so I'm willing to say that the atheists out there are much more questioning and intelligent individuals on the whole than theists.

As for the whole "it's just as likely ultimately that atheists are wrong and theists are right, so both are rational views" argument, there is some truth to this - However, I would point out that we can apply this to anything we cannot directly observe (and even things that we can if you want to go further down the rabbit hole)... and say that you cannot claim you are male, as it's possible that your observations are incorrect or that it's possible that you weren't alive yesterday and all your memories have just been magically created... however we use the evidence we have available to draw logical conclusions and form a provisional truth - although it's impossible to know the truth.

An easy example of this is perhaps white swans... now if you asked a british scientist back in the 1600's whether or not a black swan existed they would say no, and this would be the provisional truth because there is nothing to draw its existance from, however ultimately - there were black swans in Australia.

Last edited:

Steph9

HSC
Calculon said:
The current hypothesis of solar system formation is the nebular hypothesis, first proposed in 1755 by Immanuel Kant and independently formulated by Pierre-Simon Laplace. It states the solar system was formed from a gaseous cloud called the solar nebula. It had a diameter of 100 AU and was 2-3 times the mass of the Sun. Over time, a disturbance, possibly a nearby supernova, sent shock waves into space, which squeezed the nebula, pushing more and more of its matter inward until gravitational forces overcame its internal gas pressure and it began to collapse. As the nebula collapsed, it decreased in size, which in turn caused it to spin faster to conserve angular momentum. And as the competing forces associated with gravity, gas pressure, magnetic fields, and rotation acted on it, the contracting nebula began to flatten into a spinning pancake shape with a bulge at the center.

When the nebula further condensed, a protostar was formed in the middle. This system was heated by the friction of the rocks colliding into each other. Lighter elements such as hydrogen and helium evaporated out of the centre and migrated to the edges of the disc, thus concentrating the heavier elements to form dust and rocks in the centre. These heavier elements clumped together to form planetesimals and protoplanets. In the outer regions of this solar nebula, ice and volatile gases were able to survive, and as a result, the inner planets are rocky and the outer planets were massive enough to capture large amounts of lighter gases, such as hydrogen and helium.

After 100 million years, the pressures and densities of hydrogen in the centre of the collapsed nebula became great enough for the protosun to sustain thermonuclear fusion reactions. As a result of this, hydrogen was converted to helium, and a great amount of heat was released.

4×1H → 4He + neutrinos + photons

During that time, the protostar turned into the Sun and the protoplanets and planetesimals were transformed into planets. All of the planets formed in a relatively short time of a few million years.

Scientists estimate that the solar system is 4.6 billion years old. To calculate this figure, they examine an unstable element, which is subject to radioactive decay. By observing how much this element has decayed, they can calculate how old this element is. The oldest rocks on earth are approximately 3.9 billion years old, however it is hard to find these rocks as the earth has been thoroughly resurfaced. To estimate the age of the solar system, scientists must find rocks from space, such as meteorites – which are formed during the early condensation of the solar nebula. The oldest meteorite was found to have an age of 4.6 billion years, hence the solar system must be at least 4.6 billion years old.
Thanks for the detailed explanation of how the world came to be. Have you thought about *who* caused all this to happen, or do think it was an accident that just came to be?

Not-That-Bright said:
Faith is generally a passed down trait from your family, as many other social values are. This is rarer with atheism however (at least at the moment), so I'm willing to say that the atheists out there are much more questioning and intelligent individuals on the whole than theists.
I was not brought up to be a Bible believing Christian. It took a friendship breakdown for me to actually sit and read my Bible. Sure, I had questions about the Bible and about Christianity in general, particularly about Christian believers, and I spoke with other Christians I met at my youth group who helped me understand. :)

Not-That-Bright said:
As for the whole "it's just as likely ultimately that atheists are wrong and theists are right, so both are rational views" argument, there is some truth to this - However, I would point out that we can apply this to anything we cannot directly observe (and even things that we can if you want to go further down the rabbit hole).
Not-That-Bright said:
however we use the evidence we have available to draw logical conclusions and form a provisional truth - although it's impossible to know the truth.
Yes that's true, atheists could be right and theists could be wrong. But on the other hand, theists could be right and atheists could be wrong. I believe that the Bible is a book of what God has chosen to reveal to the reader, and I know there has to be so much more to God that can't be written down in words, but that's something I know God will reveal to me on the Last Day.

Not-That-Bright said:
however we use the evidence we have available to draw logical conclusions and form a provisional truth - although it's impossible to know the truth.
If you want *the truth* read your Bible.
# Revelation 1:8
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
Revelation 1:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 21:6
He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.
Revelation 21:5-7 (in Context) Revelation 21 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
Revelation 22:12-14 (in Context) Revelation 22 (Whole Chapter)

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Im a very laid back Anglican...i dont go to church..(i use to all the time when my mum was alive).

But i do pray every night. My belief is that every one has a right to believe in what ever they think is right about their religious faith.
I also help out at the local Girls' Brigade..so i help kids see god. & learn about what he has done for them...(i dont do it alot).

But i never try to convert people to become Christians or Anglican.

Steph9

HSC
I don't try to convert people to Christianity either. I am willing to share Christianity with non-Christians but not not force it down their throats. I believe that God is the one who chooses who believes and who doesn't.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Thanks for the detailed explanation of how the world came to be. Have you thought about *who* caused all this to happen, or do think it was an accident that just came to be?
It's interesting the psychology of this sort of belief.. I read an interesting book that presented it to me something along these lines.

Human beings are foremost tool makers, so when we looked around at the world around us, we asked "well, what made this?" and the most logical inference we could come up with (since we are the only tool making creature that we know) is that it was some sort of gigantic version of us.

We then looked around... looked at the environment, and said 'hey this is all so great for me... I have trees for shade, I have food, I have water... this world must have been made for me. Now the problem with this logic is that it's much like a puddle (somehow gaining consciousness) looking around, and going "Oh wow... this hole I'm in is just the right size for me, it's quite nice and snug with a good view... this universe must have been made for me" - Never realising how small a part of the universe it ever was, still insisting as it gets faded away by the sun that the universe was made for it - disappearing without ever having a proper understanding of its place.

I was not brought up to be a Bible believing Christian. It took a friendship breakdown for me to actually sit and read my Bible. Sure, I had questions about the Bible and about Christianity in general, particularly about Christian believers, and I spoke with other Christians I met at my youth group who helped me understand.
Were you bought up in a Christian household tho? It doesn't have to be strictly christian, but at least they believed in the christian god - they were not atheists or jews or whatever?

Yes that's true, atheists could be right and theists could be wrong. But on the other hand, theists could be right and atheists could be wrong. I believe that the Bible is a book of what God has chosen to reveal to the reader, and I know there has to be so much more to God that can't be written down in words, but that's something I know God will reveal to me on the Last Day.
You just ignored everything else I said and chose to take out the parts which made you feel more comfortable... why even bother when you've already seen my response?

If you want *the truth* read your Bible.
# Revelation 1:8
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
Revelation 1:7-9 (in Context) Revelation 1 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 21:6
He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.
Revelation 21:5-7 (in Context) Revelation 21 (Whole Chapter)
# Revelation 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
Revelation 22:12-14 (in Context) Revelation 22 (Whole Chapter)
The bible is easily dismissed as a book written by men that never has made a supernatural prediction...

I believe that God is the one who chooses who believes and who doesn't.
Does it make you feel special?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
If any of the believers here want some semi-serious discussion they should read and participate in this thread. It seems more suited for that forum anyway.

Steph9 said:
You remind me of the villagers in medieval times explaining why volcanoes errupted - "the Gods are angry!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)