not using sound in video (1 Viewer)

Porcia

HSC
yup thats right; i plan on cutting ALL audio...! hehe - i was wondering if u guys here knew any creative ways to express this

Porcia

HSC
wow fast reply - thanks - well im simply going to do a... "experimental film" or "video art" if thats what you call it; and seeing all those posts about the imperativeness of audio/soundtracks etc i was wondering if my decision to cut all audio would be to a deteriment and feedback on alternative means of expression... like for example - captions

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No actually I was thinking of something similar the other day:

You could express the dependency we have on sound, and find a way to totally silence a character after some incident and the emotional impact and how the world is totally different in silence ?

Also you could do something whereby you place audio channels in one layer, and then have it playing, and subtitle different text underneath, a sort of "what s/he says, what s/he thinks" kinda concept

Another thing could be merely cutting out random words or silence in specific parts to evoke a sense of loss, or to purposely manipulate a story to lack a certain word/quality and then reflect it later on ? (kinda like the 'censoring' in Kill Bill 1 of Uma's name)

(edit)

On the point of captions, you'd need to justify just why you want to use it, why its in, the formatting, etc.

Porcia

HSC
thank you! you brought up some new interesting perspectives. abnout the kill bill thing i actuall considered that but i thought about (since my film is visual arts not english(im posting here because its the only forum dedicated to film )) the impacts of censorship etc - but im still interested to hear any other ideas people have

pungemo

HSC
Sound is not completely necessary for film, but its effect is. You will have to find some way to achieve the effect of having sound through an alternate means of expression. This could be through colour/lack-there-of in the video or perhaps through camera movements or textual dialogue/monologue. If you simply just cut the sound things will just seem boring and the audience will be detached. The emotive effects MUST be present, even if not through the audio.

I agree with what Asylum said about having to explain why there is no audio. Perhaps the main character could be deaf, or even mute if you want to examine our dependency on sound for communication.

Porcia

HSC
well for the reason why i want to cut audio....:

i am deaf

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well in that case, perhaps use your own experiences knowing how frustrating things can be, or perhaps show that rather than frustrating its quite liberating, a spin on things :)

But I'd try and find a way to do it creatively, so perhaps think back to mis-conceptions, or find that deafness is like every other human trait, in that it can be both good/bad, so what exactly does sound play in our role as humans, or something to that extent :)

pungemo

HSC
It's great to see someone overcoming a disadvantage to work with film. Seeing how someone who hears no sound portraying that very lack of sound could be very interesting in its ideas and execution. You will have to be aware of the effect of silence on the hearing as well as its significance to you as a deaf person and combine these two ideas if you want there to be a great meaning behind the lack of sound. I wish you best of luck with what is sure to be a challenging endeavour. :)

Porcia

HSC
thank you - what you said "effect of silence on the hearing as well as its significance to deaf people" gave me inspiration for some ideas - although i am still open to any more people might have

Porcia

HSC
well his/her first impression wont be that i've neglected it because i made sure. no problem about that

pungemo

HSC
Judging from your last post I'm guessing you have a way to explain/introduce the idea. I wouldn't ask you to reveal this to us but just make sure its perfectly clear so the marker isn't confused or otherwise adversely impacted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)