Note Taking. (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
How the hell do u do this?
I really hate taking notes, but i know it is necessary, could someone tell me how to take notes that are most effective?

is it just copying chunks from a textbook?

cheers

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
What l think your talking about it study notes...am l right?

Study notes are notes where l find the most important things in my textbook, write a definition and an example.

To take notes from class, l jot down anything the teachers says that is important. If l didn't get a definition during class, l ask afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Everyone does them differently. If I am learning from a syllabus, I usually write out each syllabus point, and underneath I write down everything I have to learn about it. If I don't have a syllabus for the subject (at uni, syllabuses are much rarer than at high school) I find that the way I learn best is to just read through the text, and practice writing out any facts I need to know or memorise. (Which takes forever, I must say.) Or you could combine your notes from class with relevant information from the textbook and combine it together in a way that is easy for you to understand. Some people don't really make notes at all, because they manage to soak info in just from reading, but I think these people are rare. ;)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i just have the syallabus and type the notes out on each section.. sometimes record things and just listen to them over and over to drill it into my mind

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I summarised information from my textbooks. I did this in 3 sections.

1. Use the notes that you have compiled from school and combine these with summarised notes taken from your textbooks that are seperated into different topics.

2. Summarise these notes.

3. Continue this until one whole complete topic is on one A4 page.

By using this technique, you will be able to recall large amounts of information from one A4 page.

Once your topic notes can fit onto one A4 page, record these onto a tape, so you can play them back and listen to them when necessary. It is a lot easier then carrying a bunch of notes around, or your textbook.

Also, throughout some stage of the year, you should get a copy of the syllabus dot-points and summarise these points from your textbook. These are the most reliable notes as they are what is officially examined in the course.

If you take time out to create these sets of notes, you will have no trouble in obtaining great knowledge about concepts of the course.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i use my class notes first because thats usually what our teacher changes it to so we understand.. then compare it with my textbook notes to write the summaries for syllabus points.. mm now with my excel books i can compare it to that too.. just to make sure its right

HSC
OVerall i think study notes are most important PLZ use the syllabus coz it guides u on wot ur suppose to learn

and now dat i think about it HOMEWORK is aload of bs
except for maths every other subject jus depends on ur study (study notes) and essay based skills to answer questions

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Study notes should always be done on pieces of paper (A4 preferably)
Reason being so that you can add more info to ur existing notes as you learn

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
The syllabus idea is good as well, just make sure you clearly cover the entire point.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Originally posted by hatty
I really hate taking notes, but i know it is necessary, could someone tell me how to take notes that are most effective?

cheers
This is how we learnt to take notes:

Our history teacher devoted much of our history lessons to this (grrrr). Here's her method:
-Graphic Outline-
***devide page into columns, headed "issue" "subject" "info" "jargon".
***If you're taking notes from a text bk- you may want to add in pg numbers for diagrams etc.
***note relevant points- very simply- and add technical words to jargon
***write loosely...because you'll probably have more stuff to add

Of course- you could be the type of person who works better with mind maps or a notetaker.

I guess if you do debating and you're used to steaming out rebuttals that also helps rush things up.

swordfish

I found it good to summarize my notes down and down until i could make little palm cards. I would write a question on the front and the answer on the back. No one ever wants to help out a poor stressed HSC student and quiz you though!
I think the most important thing you can do is understand thoroughly everything you write down. Dont just write something and make a mental note to study it in stuvac!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Re: study notes, I once wrote out copious amounts - big slabs straight from the text - turned into a bad habit when not a single teacher placed emphasis on having notes in my own words. Keeping it short, aids in memorisation. Yeah, I've used the recording method - reading my notes into a mini recorder and listened to it often.

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
Originally posted by hatty

cheers
i havent read what everybody else has said, but we were taught to write notes on each of the dot points on the syllabus...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i usually dont make my own notes bcos they just look like an extended version or its barely summarised...lol i dont trust myself with notes im terrible at it, rather use someone elses, usually my handwriting is so messy its hard to interpret and i write notes 1 day b4 the exam so i guess its redundant =S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)