NSW Pubs to be forced to close at 2am (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Being drunk would no longer be a defence for committing a crime, and pubs and clubs would be closed at 2am under tough new anti-drinking laws being considered by the NSW government.

In an attempt to curb alcohol-related crime, within weeks the NSW cabinet will consider a range of new drinking laws, The Daily Telegraph says.

According to a leaked cabinet minute, intoxication would no longer be a defence or mitigating factor in committing a crime, particularly in the case of assault.

Pubs, clubs and bottle shops would be forced to close at 2am, and home delivery of alcohol would be banned to crack down on teenage drinking.

In addition, under-18s caught drinking would have their driver's licences suspended, and a demerit system would be put in place to punish venues which repeatedly breached the new laws.

Drafted with the help of NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione, the proposals have already had approval from cabinet sub-committee, The Daily Telegraph said.
Source

The option of taking up arms to defend my liberties is seriously looking like the only viable course of action. This is just fucked.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
withoutaface said:
Source

The option of taking up arms to defend my liberties is seriously looking like the only viable course of action. This is just fucked.
THATS A BLOODY OUTRAGE IT IS!!!!

I'm just going to send them letters reminding them that they'll be out of office soon enough.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Eh, they've been talking about this for ages guys.

Unless you're in a city, most locals close around 2 am anyways.
Where I work, the Coast Hotel (ritziest most awesome bar in Coffs Harbour, come visit me and recieve free drinks), we're done by 2am.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It's called having a social life that relies heavily on drinking alcohol.

wagga

HSC
Won't work. All it will mean is that in places with a concentration of the bar like Sydney CBD, the cross or manly, there will be thousands of drunks spewed out onto the street at the same time. Great idea.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Thats one of industrys main concerns. But hey, they didn't listen to us about alco pop tax - which has driven up the sales of hard liquor - so why will they listen to us this time?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Thats one of industrys main concerns. But hey, they didn't listen to us about alco pop tax - which has driven up the sales of hard liquor - so why will they listen to us this time?
Because I'm marching on parliament with a fucking flamethrower.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It happened in Newcastle first and it's gay. Ruined the city, moreso.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
umm why would the government (whose aim is to look after the people and act in their best interests) listen to an industry (whose only interest is to maximise their profit)??

"unintended consequences" are for ivory tower academics to think about
i'm glad the government is bringing back good old fashioned common sense

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Why is moral wowserism more popular than ever in the early 21st century?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
umm why would the government (whose aim is to look after the people and act in their best interests) listen to an industry (whose only interest is to maximise their profit)??

"unintended consequences" are for ivory tower academics to think about
i'm glad the government is bringing back good old fashioned common sense
Uhm, because the those that work in the industy are much more perceptive to trends and possible outcomes surrounding alterations to their industry than government officials who've probably never worked or dealt with it before?

While your point is legit, if they'd consulted the liquor industry they'd have figured out that taxing premixed drinks makes, duh, hard liquor cheaper comparitively. I mean cmon. You can buy 4 vodka crusiers for 20 bucks, or you can spend thirty and buy a whole bottle of vodka.
In the last 3 months, I've see regulars who were sensible drinkers when it came to mixed cans turn into complete sloshers because they've started mixing their own. In my own circle of peers, we're stopped buying premixed and chipping in to buy two bottles of vodka or jack daniels together, because it ends up cheaper and you get sloshed faster.

They don't have to take industries words for granted, but it'd broaden their perspective.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
When they say "clubs" I hope they don't mean night clubs.

Otherwise, it's just common sense. I lived on the end of one of four streets that connected to a pub, and even then it was quite common (atleast once a week) to see one or more people limping along the street, sometimes onto the roads, intoxicated to the point of not being able to even distinguish between parked or moving cars.

It's dangerous, it's unpleasant, and more.

But still, I hope they weren't refering to the the night clubs. In the past they were pretty awesome and also an escape to the sometimes more unpleasant parts of life - and a good place to pick-up/meet friends. Even though alot of the good ones in the inner west of sydney have closed down, it would be highly unfortunate to ruin the sites of the once booming Eurodance scenes in Australia.

Clubs (with the gambling and shit) and Pubs should be closed at 2am.
Night Clubs - should not.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Uhm, because the those that work in the industy are much more perceptive to trends and possible outcomes surrounding alterations to their industry than government officials who've probably never worked or dealt with it before?

While your point is legit, if they'd consulted the liquor industry they'd have figured out that taxing premixed drinks makes, duh, hard liquor cheaper comparitively. I mean cmon. You can buy 4 vodka crusiers for 20 bucks, or you can spend thirty and buy a whole bottle of vodka.
In the last 3 months, I've see regulars who were sensible drinkers when it came to mixed cans turn into complete sloshers because they've started mixing their own. In my own circle of peers, we're stopped buying premixed and chipping in to buy two bottles of vodka or jack daniels together, because it ends up cheaper and you get sloshed faster.

They don't have to take industries words for granted, but it'd broaden their perspective.
broaden their perspective??? what is this, HSC english?
lol

i was trolling anywayz -_-

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
broaden their perspective??? what is this, HSC english?
lol

i was trolling anywayz -_-
Lol, no, this is a frustrated bar maid.
=d

PLZ TROLL CLEAR NXT TEIMZ

X

xeuyrawp

jb_nc said:
only bogan pisspots who get drunk and stay drunk until 4 am care
Er, wtf? Some people like to just hang out and have a few drinks with mates till past 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)