Old Kingdom Egypt! HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

I'm making my notes by answering all the syllabus dot-points... maybe I'm missing something (or just an idiot), but I can't work out what to write for:

2) the roles, perspectives and influence of elites and groups on the ancient society, and significant beliefs and values of the society including:
-the Re priesthood.

HELP! Anyone... What do you think they want from this point? What should I focus on?

Confuzed! I was working well up until now, but now I'm thrown for some stupid reason...

Thanks!

Another question...
Theres a dot-point for role of the army. I can't seem to find anything on military activity during the Old Kingdom.

Do I just write 'no army' or 'had no major role'???

PLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE help if you can :)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The Re priesthood were an important group within Old Kingdom Egypt because of the increasing influence of Heliopolis (Literally 'sun-city') and the Heliopolitan Re-Cult. This influence would adversely affect the role of the pharaoh, which is perhaps most evident in the change to the pharaonic titulary from Djedefre onwards, from Living Horus to Son Of Re, therefore suggesting the pharaoh as the relative of a deity rather than the personification.

Additionally, the influence of the Re Priesthood is apparent in the 5th dynasty construction of 'sun-temples', literally placing the ben-ben stone of the Heliopolitan creation myth upon a pedestal. [The earliest evidence of the Re-cult's influence is probably the 2nd dynasty pharaoh Re-Neb, or 'Re is my lord'.

As for the Old Kingdom army, we were given only minimal information, but I believe there was a limited standing army, generally used in punitive campaigns such as those undertaken by Weni and/or Harkuf.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I worked out the military thing earlier today... apparently it was a conscriptive army at the time of Weni, and he had to gather the conscripts. But yeah, minimal info :)

Thanks of the Re priesthood, I had no idea what aspect to talk about :p

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
I had a lot of troubel finding stuff on the priesthood too, actually. I tried Callender, Bradley, macquarie A/H, + the multitude of handouts i've got - but only bits and pieces on the priesthood!

The stuff Gregor Samsa posted (thanks, btw!) was helpful, but does anyone know any sources to look at where i can get more info?

I've got nil evidence at the moment... please help!

zentiis

HSC
the role of the army is linked in with the role of the king. It is the pharoh/kings 'job' to protect egypt for the chaos and her enemies.
The egyptian army was like most other ancient armys, it was there for the defense of egypt.
The egyptian army was made up of the kings bodyguards [he had quite a few ;P] and patrols. however in cases of large scale warfare, conscription did occur.
A good example of old kingdom warfare can be seen in in Weni's biographical details where he makes referance of leading warfare against natives uprising on egpyts borders, he campaigned 5 times until the revolt was quenched.
Because of egypts 'inhospitable' enviroment warring from her neighbours was avoided frequently.
The vast majority of old kingdom war activity was a result of minor border threats and to ensure trade routes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)