Old kingdom egypt + myths/gods (1 Viewer)

blink rock

HSC
hello!
just some last minute cramming before tomorrows exam!! AHHH!!
i was just wondering if anyone has any information at all on an old kingdom egypt myth, i have seen the question come up numerous times in past papers and have a feeling that if i dont study it then it will be in the exam!!!!
n e help would be great!! thankyou and goodluck tomorrow!!!!

rink

HSC
hey, i think im about 3months too late but just in case u still need info on this -

Significant Myths & Legends

The Egyptian Myth of Creation:
• In beginning universe was made of nun, then a mound rise bearing a lotus blossom, inside god-child Ptah
• Ptah awake created all thing sin universe, asleep dreamt, was lonely, dreamt of shapes, shapes took form of gods – Tehuti (wisdom) and Ma’at (truth)
• Continued to create Re to rule the heavens, and Re created all things on earth, each day surveying his work across the sky in his boat
• All living things rejoice their creator, Ptah

The Story of Osiris & Isis
• Osiris an Egyptian pharaoh, virtuous, popular and loved
• Isis is Osiris wife, a goddess but chose to live amongst mortals
• Seth is his jealous brother, held a banquet for him, had a chest made of gold & gems, measurements for Osiris, said anyone who fit in it could have it
• Osiris tried, Seth shut box, through into deepest of Nile, made himself king
• Isis wept and went in search, rumoured it has washed up on the shores of a country known as Lebanon, discovered it was entangled in a bush that grown into a ‘protective tree’, so large Seth ordered it for a pillar in the palace
• Went back to palace, attracted the Queen Astarte’s attention to hire her, later worked as her ill son’s nurse, servants jealous and saw Isis put boy in fire, Queen Astatre came, Isis revealed herself and that she was making the boy immortal, Queen Astatre asked for forgiveness and toll her where the pillar was
• Found Osiris, Seth stole him and ordered he cut in 14 pieces & scattered over Egypt, Isis found him again but could not bring back to life
• Osiris rewarded as god of the underworld, his son, Horus, killing Seth & becoming pharaoh
• Myth attracted Egyptians, supported belief that mortal, regardless of rank could live forever, symbolised good over evil.

Menes:
• First king of the two lands, recorded in Turin Canon
• Founder of Memphis, which he protected from inundation by building a dam
• Founded temple of Ptah

Imhotep:
• Existence confirmed by inscription at the base of a statue at Saqqara
• “Seal bearer of the King or Lower Egypt” “hereditary Prince”
• One of few non-royal Egyptians first raised to status of saint then god
• Recognised by Greeks as their own god of healing
• Later called son of Ptah, the gods of craftsmen – hymn to him at temple of Ptah
• By New Kingdom, patron of all scribes, later given a temple in north Saqqara

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
rink said:
hey, i think im about 3months too late but just in case u still need info on this -

Significant Myths & Legends

The Egyptian Myth of Creation:
• In beginning universe was made of nun, then a mound rise bearing a lotus blossom, inside god-child Ptah
• Ptah awake created all thing sin universe, asleep dreamt, was lonely, dreamt of shapes, shapes took form of gods – Tehuti (wisdom) and Ma’at (truth)
• Continued to create Re to rule the heavens, and Re created all things on earth, each day surveying his work across the sky in his boat
• All living things rejoice their creator, Ptah

The Story of Osiris & Isis
• Osiris an Egyptian pharaoh, virtuous, popular and loved
• Isis is Osiris wife, a goddess but chose to live amongst mortals
• Seth is his jealous brother, held a banquet for him, had a chest made of gold & gems, measurements for Osiris, said anyone who fit in it could have it
• Osiris tried, Seth shut box, through into deepest of Nile, made himself king
• Isis wept and went in search, rumoured it has washed up on the shores of a country known as Lebanon, discovered it was entangled in a bush that grown into a ‘protective tree’, so large Seth ordered it for a pillar in the palace
• Went back to palace, attracted the Queen Astarte’s attention to hire her, later worked as her ill son’s nurse, servants jealous and saw Isis put boy in fire, Queen Astatre came, Isis revealed herself and that she was making the boy immortal, Queen Astatre asked for forgiveness and toll her where the pillar was
• Found Osiris, Seth stole him and ordered he cut in 14 pieces & scattered over Egypt, Isis found him again but could not bring back to life
• Osiris rewarded as god of the underworld, his son, Horus, killing Seth & becoming pharaoh
• Myth attracted Egyptians, supported belief that mortal, regardless of rank could live forever, symbolised good over evil.
You're using a tonne of inappropriate evidence here, from all different time periods. In society, you're only supposed to use evidence from your time period.

hipPo3

HSC
rhapsody11 said:
You're using a tonne of inappropriate evidence here, from all different time periods. In society, you're only supposed to use evidence from your time period.
what evidence ?, and this is a bumped thread.. im sure the threadstarter was doing the Trials and now onto HSC exams.

That mYth of creation is very different to what i was taught.
- It all started with Re
- Re was bored so he created Shu (and his wife, forgot her name)
- shu and his wife gave birth to Nut and Geb (earth and Night sky)
- Re was jealous of them doing the hanky panky (Geb ans Nut) so he told shu to stop them, Shu then stood inbetween them. Re also cursed Geb and Nut; that they cant give birth in any of the 360 days of the year.
- Thoth decided to help (i dont know in detail why) and played a game against Re (i think it was called Senate .. or something like that). Thoth won 5 extra days in the year.
- One these days Nut gave birth to Osiris, Isis, Seth and Seth sister-wife (i think her name was Tefernet, or that could be shus wife).
- Osiris and Isis procreated Horus. The end

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
hipPo3 said:
what evidence ?, and this is a bumped thread.. im sure the threadstarter was doing the Trials and now onto HSC exams.
The only example we have of a description of Osiris' killing by Seth in in Plutarch's 'peri Isidos kai Osiridos', part of his Moralia. There are several allusions to Osiris' death, such as in the pyramid texts, but these remain allusions. Last time I checked, Plutarch didn't live in the old kingdom.

That mYth of creation is very different to what i was taught.
- It all started with Re
- Re was bored so he created Shu (and his wife, forgot her name)
- shu and his wife gave birth to Nut and Geb (earth and Night sky)
Yes, that's the Heliopolian myth. Unfortunately, there's no OK evidence for that account, it's late MK and early NK.

- Re was jealous of them doing the hanky panky (Geb ans Nut) so he told shu to stop them, Shu then stood inbetween them. Re also cursed Geb and Nut; that they cant give birth in any of the 360 days of the year.
- Thoth decided to help (i dont know in detail why) and played a game against Re (i think it was called Senate .. or something like that). Thoth won 5 extra days in the year.
- One these days Nut gave birth to Osiris, Isis, Seth and Seth sister-wife (i think her name was Tefernet, or that could be shus wife).
- Osiris and Isis procreated Horus. The end
And suddenly, you've jumped into the Hermopolian myth, with the Book of the Heavenly Cow and the recreation myth.

Despite you seeming to make up a few facts (meh, it's society), the game is called sennet.

Man, there is such a huge need for teachers that know there stuff (not to mention text books that blend several distinct myths...)

hipPo3

HSC
rhapsody11 said:
The only example we have of a description of Osiris' killing by Seth in in Plutarch's 'peri Isidos kai Osiridos', part of his Moralia. There are several allusions to Osiris' death, such as in the pyramid texts, but these remain allusions. Last time I checked, Plutarch didn't live in the old kingdom.
Yes, that's the Heliopolian myth. Unfortunately, there's no OK evidence for that account, it's late MK and early NK.
And suddenly, you've jumped into the Hermopolian myth, with the Book of the Heavenly Cow and the recreation myth.
Despite you seeming to make up a few facts (meh, it's society), the game is called sennet.
Man, there is such a huge need for teachers that know there stuff (not to mention text books that blend several distinct myths...)
My teacher never gave us any sources for Myths. Not blaming my teacher, but ive never read any source either for myths.. have they ever given an essay Q for Myths in the past HSC's ?

Can i still use that as a myth ?, or should i stick with the good ole' Seth and Horus tale ?

Thats post was very dimmed .. i didnt see a need to go in-depth. Meh.. if they do ask an essay format Q on Myths and legends, i still have 3 other essay choices if i choose not to do myths.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
hipPo3 said:
My teacher never gave us any sources for Myths. Not blaming my teacher, but ive never read any source either for myths.. have they ever given an essay Q for Myths in the past HSC's ?

Can i still use that as a myth ?, or should i stick with the good ole' Seth and Horus tale ?

Thats post was very dimmed .. i didnt see a need to go in-depth. Meh.. if they do ask an essay format Q on Myths and legends, i still have 3 other essay choices if i choose not to do myths.
Yes, they can ask it.

It's in dot-point 6: the cultural life of the ancient society including:
• significant myths and legends
• art and architecture
• writing and literature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)