On GIANTS' SHOULDERS NOTES INSIDE (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I had to work out my typing speed. So happened to be OGS notes...

You should read Chapter 1 An introduction to the concept of The Journey in this book in conjunction with this chapter, as it gives you a very thorough introduction to the concept. In you study of this focus area you will be entering different worlds created by the imagination of other or by yourself For example Melvyn Bragg brings to the reader a whole world of scientific discovery. He opens up the lives of different scientists through time and shows the imaginative and creative leaps of intellect they had to work out their ideas, or the ideas which others have picked up and worked on in turn. He obviously thought the imaginative vision of these scientists was important and interesting enough to bring to the public arena and offers the reading public a chance to go on an imaginative journey with him.

Bragg says of the scientists in the book: Ideas are flung out, sprayed out like sparks from a welder’s torch. Ideas which not only take us on trips to the beginning of time but which take us on trips to essential matter and everything in between. His own imagination is at work in this statement on Page 9: The giants are as clear as pylons striding down the landscape of history.

The phrase “on giants’ shoulders” suggests the idea of being carried, of being carried forward. Certainly in the text, the concept is explored of being carried forward, of journeying through time, through imaginings, the imagination of scientists, to arrive at our current positions in science and knowledge. He looks at their rare and thrilling minds their imaginative journeys.

Bragg’s own imaginative journey propelled him to prepare the book from transcripts of interviews he did. Just that simple imaginative leap means you can read the ideas even if you missed the original interviews.

In turn, your imagination will probably be switched on – you’ll be thinking about their discovered and possibly speculating on these things and ideas you have of your own. You might be imagining their worlds and the different texts provided in each chapter help you to do that.

As you read, think about the ways in which the meaning is produced in the texts. Bragg’s own transcript is interlaced with quotations from other scientists as well as excerpts from original documents such as letters or diaries written by the scientists themselves. The language of those original documents give you clues as to the type of lives the writers wrote and the kinds of people they were. The use of scientific terms with ordinary colloquial language for example “when I try to imagine… it is fascinating… of course what he said…” and this reflects the spoken nature of the original text, and the interest level of Bragg himself in his subjects.

Also as you read, think about the imaginative journeys both the writer and you the reader will be on. You will be examining the imaginative journeys of the scientists and Bragg is on his own imaginative journey of discover. Think about the underlying assumptions about the imaginative journeys scientists took and in your own mind challenge some of the assumptions in the book. As you think and write responses to the text, reflect on how the imaginative journey has broadened your understanding of the world and possibly yourself.

Bragg states in his Introduction that he felt there was a gap in his own knowledge about science. He had some background from reading newspapers, and, in the 1950s a fear of atomic bomb. His interest was renewed in the 1980’s as he heard about genetics, cosmology and developments with understanding the mind and other interesting developments. He felt there was an intellectual feast happening, that new ideas were flowing and the world was reinventing itself, and that he wasn’t a part of it. He came interested in science though feeling like an outsider.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Although you should probably already have the booklet I copied out...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Here are my OWN points

-Melvin Bragg a "non-scientist" (pg9, end of 1st paragraph) undergoes an imaginary journey into the unknown world of science. He "peep through the keyhole.. [into the] intellectual pleasure garden of the late twentieth century" (pg5), suggesting intertextuality(this means suggestion to another text to create meaning) to Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden to describe the innocence of his curiousity and the beauty of the unknown.

-The medium is "a portrait, a case study and a commentary all combined" (pg4), creating a pastiche of genres in order to create credibility for the reader, entertain & educate the reader etc (think of the different functions that interviewing, etc provides.)

-in "Where Are We Now" (The very last chapter) we see that the imaginative journeys into the unknown world of science is an ongoing process, fragmented, & continued on. Bragg SPECULATES (see syllabus, speculation is a GOOD WORD! lol) that we as humans would be "unleashed... from superstition & ignorance &.. launched on an astonishing mission whose purpose.. is no less than to seek out its Maker" (pg 360). Bragg explains the "incomplete" quality of scientific imaginative journey, cannot completely understand the unknown world of science but has obtained greater understanding, reinforcing the idea that the journey matters, not the arrival.

- ARCHIMEDES - "a deep thinker with the mad person, the utterly possessed artist, the completely engrossed child."(pg37).... (This is a great quote because it highlights the DANGER & OBSTACLES (see ur syllabus requirements) in a journey. His obsessive quality into his journey into science led him to his doom. (I linked this to Wolfgang Peterson's Troy(2004) because Achilles, like Archimedes had his "glory walk hand in hand with [his] doom," it also links great with Atwood's Journey into the Interior (in ur stimulus booklet) cuz of the dangerous quality eg the journey has "Mostly dangers: /Many have been here, but only some have returned safely home" (or something along those lines, my stimulus booklet is not with me anymore.. ha.) as well as "Whatever I do I must keep my head". u can also talk about Atwood's sustained metaphor of a difficult landscape... blah blah back 2 OGS. In the essay we don't need to tell the markers too much about what happened to Archimedes, that's telling the story, & not analysis. So we basically say he was "killed by a Roman solider..while he was working on a complicated equation." (pg36)

I linked this with EINSTEIN- eg even if the equation (or the imaginative journey into the unknown world of science) is not complete, it is the JOURNEY not the arrival that matters. "Einstein came up with a lot of theory... then basically scarpered off & left other people to prove them" (pg 289) (bit of colloquial language there). This continuous, fragmented nature of the imaginative journey shows that the arrival does not matter. ie: the theory matters. "they are usually so far down stream that it is impossible to see them at this stage" = getting into speculative journey..

Einstein undergoes imaginative journeys or "thought experiments" (pg278-279) into the unknown world of science by challenging & speculating against the dominant scientific discourse of his time. (ie: Newton was the ultimate genius in that time, to say he was wrong is like a woman saying to a Victorian man in the 1800's that she wasnt an object, & she believed in equality between the sexes & NOT patriarchy.) Einstein speculates, "Let us consider the possibility that Newton was wrong" (pg278) breaking free from these scientific discourses allowed him freedom to explore - "when he did that, he found u could make a match between his version of mechanics & Maxwell's equation of light"

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
fifty three peple looked at this thread. ONE of you must've copied pasted some of my notes.......

not even a thank you.... hmm

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
my english teacher also mentioned that the chronological structure reinforces the idea of being carried forward in leaps of intellect to the contmporary world of science
meh what would I know on this I have an assessment next week

mimiii

Thanks ur_inner_child

Just wanted to say thanks for the notes, hopefully they have gotten me thinking in the right way!

geoma

HSC
good notes.. OGS is a hard text to find good notes for...thanks :p

M_R

HSC
wow, thats nice of you to share your notes, even for us 2005ers! thanks!

...this doesnt seem to be a text many people do so it's hard to find people to discuss about it. so while i'm at it now, how are we supposed to write about our selected scientists (ive chosen Curie and Einstein) as well as having quotes from the intro and conclusion, as well as a text (or two) from the stimulus booklet, as well some related texts. i find it hard talk about so much in a 40 minute essay.

some answers would be fantastic! :uhhuh:

monique66

just finished my trial on this on monday...was alright but my hand hurt really bad afterwards..

M_R

HSC
damnation, i get the feeling you go to my school haha! plus ive been reading up on posts and ive noticed you do all the same texts as me... (and your comment about memento gave you away muahah) ;)

MajinR

Procrastination Master
HSC
hey thanks for the notes, ill find these pretty helpful and i havent really seen many notes on OGS...

wyndchymz

HSC
Baby turn around and let me see that sexy thread go

/bump
/bump
/bump

Thanks for the notes. It's impossible to find good info on this text.

vigelante

HSC
first of all : what is bump?

second: this book is the worst freaking book for area of study any school could possibly study. i go to SCECGS Redlands and as a private school i would have assumed that they woul go all conformist and choose the same one as every other school but nooo they have to be different and choose the hardest book.
as a side not i used this book to do a PHYSICS assignment i had earlier this year.
but wtf? where is the imagainative jkourney? buried beneath layers and layers of scientific discoveries and information

why cant we have done something easy like this coleridge or the tempest?

by the way what other schools have done OGS? how many?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
riverside girls and sydney grammar are doing OGS.

bump is when you activate a neglected thread. OGS isn't difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)