Online Story Copyright (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Ok, so I'm in the process of writing a theatre script, to be performed as a non-profit uni based performance. The problem is that it is based upon a short story I read on an internet foum.

The owner hasn't official registered the work as copyright. I don'[t know whether it would be covered by the website. What are the legal rights effecting it's usage? I'm not distributing the original text; I am taking it's premise and adapting it to the stage.

I have tried to contact the original author through email. However, it may be an orphaned file, as I am no longer sure whether the email address is in use. I haven't heard a response from the author.

So basically, what are my rights in using the file? And, what are the rights of the original author?

Zaza101

HSC
I cant find the resorces anymore but i've researched copyright back in college.

Baically something is autometically copyrighted once it have been made to the public (no mattter if its registerd or not). The copyright lasts untill the arthour is dead +75 years.

(this is my opeinion) --- if its on an online forum and the arthour doesnt seem to ba active, i wouldnt be soo worried. Just dont copy it word for word and you shouldnt get sued lol, and also cheak the fourm TOS to see if it has anything on this matter.

Edit: OMG i have bad spelling:/

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks. I"m not too worried about being sued, it's mainly for if the head lecturer decides to ask whether I have the copyright permission to use it.

What if some of the language if used directly. There is a short (maybe half a page out of 300 or so) speech which is written that I'd like to use directly. Any ideas how this would go in regards to permission?

lychnobity

HSC
What if some of the language if used directly. There is a short (maybe half a page out of 300 or so) speech which is written that I'd like to use directly. Any ideas how this would go in regards to permission?
Since the play is for uni and not for profit, you can argue that for 'educational purposes' you have permission to directly copy the speech. The size of the speech should be 10% of the text or a chapter long, whichever is shorter.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
That's definitely one way of thinking about it. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)