• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

OPEN HIGH HELP (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
So im doing a language (continuers) via open high school this year (year 11) as part of my 12 units. The only problem is, my SCHOOL HAS NOT ALLOCATED time for the language as a normal period on my timetable. My school is forcing me to do IPT instead, all it's homework and assignments FOR ONE TERM, which means that the marks etc mean NOTHING. On top of this, i am EXPECTED to complete ALL my open high study AT HOME FOR THIS TERM (until they take out ipt next term and i can do french instead). The school has told me that it is for back up so they can track my progress for open high in case i don't like it, but IT IS POINTLESS FOR ME TO DO IPT AND ALL ITS WORK WHEN IT IS GETTING DROPPED NEXT TERM! I'm expected to somehow 'manage to fit all the open high work in my schedule' (i am really focused on open high)
Is this how it's meant to be?

quickoats

HSC
I’m not too sure about other schools, but that was the norm for open/sdehs students at my school. We had a few students do society and culture for a term, then dropped it in favour of their distance ed subjects - most of them treated s+c as a write off and the teacher was mostly fine with it.

The rationale behind ‘forcing’ you to do a subject for a term is to see if you are okay with handling distance education, as it may or may not be how you want to learn. If it’s not the right style of education for you, the school has a backup for you so you can fulfil NESA’s 12 preliminary unit requirement.

B1andB2

HSC
N/A
Ah ok thanks- it's just that if i knew i'd had to do something extra, i wouldn't have chosen IPT. But i'll treat it as a write off anyway. Thanks for the clarification!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)