Opinions on continuing Commerce/Arts or transferring into straight Commerce Degree (1 Viewer)

tyzzefloro

HSC
Im currently studying Commerce/ Arts (first year) and recently have an option to transfer into straight commerce.

My majors would either be Human Resource Management and Theatre and Performance studies.

OR

If i changed my program to straight commerce it would be Human Resource Management with either Management or Marketing.

Still unsure if i should keep arts as it is not fruitful for my future in HR and a business environment.

And with the whole theatre and performance major in arts, I was thinking of possibly just getting really involved in the theatre society instead and list that in my extra currics on my resume to show my interest in acting.

Opinions on what I should do/ what you would do?? Aside note my mum thinks i should focus on commerce (hater of arts.)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Opinions on continuing Commerce/Arts or transferring into straight Commerce Degre

99.95% sure I know you irl (and you'll probably work out who i am).

TBH you can also pursue your passions outside the societies within UNSW. Go to a play; i dunno, but I'm sure there are lots of ways you can get involved with the theatre life in Sydney without relating it to a university society, or a degree.

I don't believe this whole "you need to study a degree to pursue a non-academic field", you can study a degree related to the work you're interested in AND maintain those interests (particularly for creative arts pursuits).

Asian mum is always going to want you to drop arts, imo don't listen to her (with the greatest respect).

Summary; Drop the arts, focus on commerce, extend your degree a year to incorporate two majors (you do need to do this to fit in two majors right?). Enjoy your majors, keep up with theatre stuff within the relevant UNSW societies and elsewhere, and most of all, enjoy your added job prospects as a result of dual business majors.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: Opinions on continuing Commerce/Arts or transferring into straight Commerce Degre

Im currently studying Commerce/ Arts (first year) and recently have an option to transfer into straight commerce.

My majors would either be Human Resource Management and Theatre and Performance studies.

OR

If i changed my program to straight commerce it would be Human Resource Management with either Management or Marketing.

Still unsure if i should keep arts as it is not fruitful for my future in HR and a business environment.

And with the whole theatre and performance major in arts, I was thinking of possibly just getting really involved in the theatre society instead and list that in my extra currics on my resume to show my interest in acting.

Opinions on what I should do/ what you would do?? Aside note my mum thinks i should focus on commerce (hater of arts.)
Here's a question: Why are you doing an Arts degree in the first place? Or, why are you doing a Theatre and Performance major?

tyzzefloro

HSC

Tbh i just did it for fun. I really like History and Acting. But now im starting to think its useless.

HSC
Uni Grad

Honestly don't bother doing any of that stuff in uni - if you really want to do that sort of stuff, get involved in a society. That's the problem with unis - people believe they will get practical stuff by signing up to this theatre and performance but honestly it's all theoretical and critical appraisal.

tyzzefloro

HSC

Yeah i've heard that there are subjects later on that implement a more practical side.But definitely the first course i took for theatre was about 80% theory and the next subject i needa take is 100% theory. And i know if i wanna act I can simply just do it with the NUTS society. Also people always say just do stuff that you're interested in. But i thought i'd find commerce boring but i actually am starting to enjoy it, even if there are some use of numbers in the cores haha #avoidingstatstillnextyear. And TBH if someone really wanted to break into acting they'd be at NIDA. Alright i think i'll call up tomorrow and see whats up and if the two arts courses i ddi could count as gen ED?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

There are two or three completely practical courses in the Theatre degree where you stage a group play, and then a solo performance, and then I think another solo performance.

Keep that in mind too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)