Option 1 - Industrial Chemistry (1 Viewer)

DI2AGON

god i filled with booklet for this option

that 7 mark question with the map asked you to basically argue both sides because site C could be used for either sodium carbonate and sodium hydroxide... reason being it had everything such as transport, market, raw materials from the sea etc etc but in the end it'd be more useful for a solvay plant

martian_man86

overall, i thought industrial was pretty dodgy. im reading through it thinking: "where are the equilibrium questions? where are the questions on solvay? membrane process? anything? all i can see is soap, 4 marks on sulfuric and a geography question disguised as chemistry."
for the 7 marker, i spent 3 pages discussing the positives and negatives of each site for each process, realised i was running out of time, and wrote B: NaOH, C: Solvay. each site has good points and bad, but the production of NaOH requires craploads of power...hence the power station; and solvay needs limestone...and both a AND c would require some degree of transportation, but like someone said, it depends entirely on the scale of the map.
THERE WAS A REASON WHY I PICKED CHEMISTRY AND NOT GEOGRAPHY!!!!

SandunAAA

HSC
U had to asses each of 3 seperate sites. That means speak about suitablity for making Na2CO3 & NaOH for each site. There is no right or wrong answer for the appropriateness of the sites as long as you backed it up by giving a "valuable and sensible judgment".

U have to also talk about the ports- transport to potential customers
Also the city and towns -staff &railway lines

U r Not ment to give a recomendation for the 2 plants out of the three.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)