option: sports medicene (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
what the hell was with question b.....how could that be a 15 mark question. oh my gosh after the exam me and my friends were all like ok i just made up bullshit on that..

i only managed 2 and a bit pages on that, i felt like id only get 5 max for that, oh sheesh that was the most b/s question for 15marks.

i wrote about the shane warne banning incident as an example, the fact that some medicenes that numb pain can actually cause re-injury, or that athletes might use it to feel no pain during events. and also about how medicene is kind of a loophole with steriod usage.
overall a pathetic question for 15marks, anyone who did this topic i reckon will fall because of that question

evchomesho

i know! it was the biggest load of crap ever. from what u've said, u did a hell of a lot better than me though. haha, in all honesty, i don't know how, but i'm sure they can somehow loosely base it on an obscure dot point in the fine print of the syllabus. honestly, i just got out of there and went, "wow! i know nothing about sports medicine apparently"
so so lame
haha, i hope u did better than me anyway

tokenblackguy

HSC
dammit, didnt write that crap, hopefully they wont mark anywhere near as hard seeing as everyone did really crap in the options sections

stfu noob

HSC
They should have made a more open question, and then said refer to ethical issues as well as _____. Would have made i t much easier, and it would have demonstrated greater understanding of the option.

rebecca05

HSC
I thought the whole option was crap. I blabbed through both but part (b) sucked. I was pretty sure about the drugs but it also said injury management so i wrote about those procedures, the use of drugs and painkillers and the role of the coach and how some disregard their duties and encourage drug use. I was So confused!

Did anyone do improving performance? That SUCKED!! Part (a) i coped with but part (b)...not good!

Overall i may get a maximum of maybe 25 out of 40 i think if im lucky! That's bad too cos i got first in my year!!

The first section was good tho!!

ellie.b

yeh i agree that sports med option was crap. i managed to b/s my way thru part a n hopefully part b...i jst talked about pain killers n drugs
did ne1 do improving perf. as their 2nd option...in my opinion it was even worse than sports med! if thats possible...i still dnt know wat they were asking in part b improving performance...oh well...*sigh*...

hsvd_g

Grease Monkey
HSC
i just ballbered on and on about modification of sports, rules to prevent injury, RICER method if one was to obtain an injury

DeanM

HSC
yep i did improving performance aswell...
as for the sports med question b, i can never remembering anything with words 'ethical' and 'injury managment' in the same sentence. the only 'ethical' topic i can remember in sports med was the section about EPO, steroids, drug tests, hgh, and what happens if someone gets caught... i didnt even talk about that cause i thought it would be a waste of time...
you know that you done crap when you wrote just as much for the 5 marker, as you did for the 15 marker... why couldnt it be something simple like last yrs, and the yr before, and the yr before... hmmm oh well..
try not to worry people, everyone found it difficult... its all done now... look on the bright side, we'll never have to sit thorugh a lesson of pdhpe again... YAY!!

Lanz122

DeanM said:
yep i did improving performance aswell...
as for the sports med question b, i can never remembering anything with words 'ethical' and 'injury managment' in the same sentence. the only 'ethical' topic i can remember in sports med was the section about EPO, steroids, drug tests, hgh, and what happens if someone gets caught... i didnt even talk about that cause i thought it would be a waste of time...
you know that you done crap when you wrote just as much for the 5 marker, as you did for the 15 marker... why couldnt it be something simple like last yrs, and the yr before, and the yr before... hmmm oh well..
try not to worry people, everyone found it difficult... its all done now... look on the bright side, we'll never have to sit thorugh a lesson of pdhpe again... YAY!!

i have a feeling that the only "Ethical" related syllabus points u can relate to are on drugs n drug testing was because....i think they wanted us to talk about drug testing??? i dunno..i majorly fucked that up too :(

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
Lanz122 said:
i have a feeling that the only "Ethical" related syllabus points u can relate to are on drugs n drug testing was because....i think they wanted us to talk about drug testing??? i dunno..i majorly fucked that up too :(
yes i was looking at the question and i was literally yelling 'WHY ISNT THIS FREAKIN ETHICAL ISSUES WITH STERIODS etc...' thats makes more sense and 100x more to write about

Pidgeon_Pete

HSC
The ethical issues was simply the pressure to participate and playing with injury dot point, but the wording of the question can screw you around big time, i took me about 10 mins of solid thought to find which dot point it related to.

mezzamy

HSC
this question is answered in the outcomes 2 textbook on page 420 under the heading of 'the ethics of sport medicine' . you needed to address the issues playing with injury, pressure to participate, the roles of the sports medicine practitioner and coach, use of drugs [for strength (human growth hormone, anabolic steroids), for aerobic performances (EPO or erythropoietin) and use of drugs to mask other drugs (diuretics, alcohol)] and drug testing.

franklin265

HSC
that question was THE easiest. it was asked in our trials...well, the catholic trial anyway and i got 13/15 for that essay.

it was simply asking us to write how athletes have pressure to participate placed upon them and how they use painkillers to return to play. you know, and you could've said how painkillers only mask pain and not actually cure the injury and to critically analyse you could've said something like pain shouldn't be masked because it's an indicator of the progress of an athlete in the rehab stage....just stuff like that. and that its an ethical problem by providing points for an against its use and i just used the case of adrian whitehead in my paper.

i found sports medicine very easy and to whoever mentioned improving performance, that was a bloody shit question. i wrote stuff down but i don't know what the hell i was writing. part a was ok but part b. wtf??? improving performance is one of my weaknesses in pd so i don't care about that much.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
mezzamy said:
this question is answered in the outcomes 2 textbook on page 420 under the heading of 'the ethics of sport medicine' . you needed to address the issues playing with injury, pressure to participate, the roles of the sports medicine practitioner and coach, use of drugs [for strength (human growth hormone, anabolic steroids), for aerobic performances (EPO or erythropoietin) and use of drugs to mask other drugs (diuretics, alcohol)] and drug testing.
hmmm it asked sports medicene not steriods so i steered clear of it...

T

Talent-ed

Yeah

I kinda stayed with medicine and didn't talk about steroids (improving performance?)

kristylee_

HSC
N/A
franklin265 said:
that question was THE easiest. it was asked in our trials...well, the catholic trial anyway and i got 13/15 for that essay.

it was simply asking us to write how athletes have pressure to participate placed upon them and how they use painkillers to return to play. you know, and you could've said how painkillers only mask pain and not actually cure the injury and to critically analyse you could've said something like pain shouldn't be masked because it's an indicator of the progress of an athlete in the rehab stage....just stuff like that. and that its an ethical problem by providing points for an against its use and i just used the case of adrian whitehead in my paper.

i found sports medicine very easy and to whoever mentioned improving performance, that was a bloody shit question. i wrote stuff down but i don't know what the hell i was writing. part a was ok but part b. wtf??? improving performance is one of my weaknesses in pd so i don't care about that much.
i thought that question was lame and really really badly worded, but after seeing you got 13/15 for writing exactly the same thing as i did im not so worried anymore...
it just scares me when u come out of an exam and half the girls say i wrote this and the others say no it was this and u dont know whats right or wrong lol

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
i felt that the entire exam lacked substance - particularly the options (i did sports med and improving performance)
sports med just didnt give you anyhing interesting to talk about - it focussed on the theory instead of like, the treatment of injuries and stuff. it was just plain boring.

franklin265

HSC
kristylee_ said:
i thought that question was lame and really really badly worded, but after seeing you got 13/15 for writing exactly the same thing as i did im not so worried anymore...
it just scares me when u come out of an exam and half the girls say i wrote this and the others say no it was this and u dont know whats right or wrong lol
yehhh i think that was it. it was really really badly worded.

what confused me in that question is the "ethical" and "injury management" bits. i was contemplating on writing about those injury management procedures like progessive mobilsation, application of ice etc etc but i didn't want to risk it.

Zali

HSC
they needed to be more specific with the question. they should have said something like refer to pressure n role etc that way we know wat they actually want.

i talked about painkillers n pressure ne way i 4got about the role but i dont see how it related to drugs i wish it did tho it would hav been easier
hope they mark heaps easier but they prob wont

KYKYJ

HSC
YES YES YES!!! i'm sooo happy thought the test was easy and the sport med. bit was easy 2 i talkd abt all return 2 play and TOTAPS procedures whilst getting into detail about the body using pain as a natural indicator of injury. .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)