• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Over the word limit (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_a_n_z

HSC
Ive been cutting and cutting and cutting...do you think 8200 words is a problem? Do we even write our word count anywhere on the work

njob

yeh theyre really harsh about work limits. it's one of the things theyll penalise you for big time. kinda like - if you get to go over then its unfair for all the people who stuck to it.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
I've got 8045 words, and if I cut anything else... well there's nothing much else to cut.

Do you think they'd notice? My teacher said they probably wouldn't, however others have mentioned that markers can become slightly pendantic about the word limit - particularly because short stories give you numbers to be between.

(they probably would now that I've posted the wordcount on the internet)

But still!! 45 words. Surely that's okay? RIGHT?!!

krystalp

HSC
dont they require you to write the amount of words there is? im pretty sure my teacher said they count them.
so i suggest you dont lie!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
krystalp said:
dont they require you to write the amount of words there is? im pretty sure my teacher said they count them.
10% either way sounds like a decent threshold.

krystalp said:
You don't need to write the world limit, but they mark so many that anything to big or small will be bleedingly obvious.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
Gavrillo said:
10% either way sounds like a decent threshold.
You don't need to write the world limit, but they mark so many that anything to big or small will be bleedingly obvious.
Ah but James, krystalp has a point there in a way. For short stories if the word count must be BETWEEN 6000 and 8000 words, then surely it isn't fair if someone has a story with a (6000 - 10%) word count [I am not a maths person, so bear with me here], so perhaps it rings the same for someone with a word count of (8000 + 10%)??

HMM. It's intriguing. Saddening though. I've cut it down by a few more words to make it 8037. I've gone through it with a nit comb... now I suppose it's time for the amoeba comb. <-- sad attempt at humour.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i think a leeway of 8000+10% is a lot easier to notice than 6000-10%, especially when you've been reading the damn things all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)