• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

oxides acting as non metals (1 Viewer)

lilkatie

okies it says 'identify oxides as non metals which act as acids and describe the conditions under which they act as acids'
ok so yes SO2 CO 2 etc all dissolve in water forming acid solns, but what does it mean by describe the conditions?
like they have to be put in water to be acids? argh i don't get it

lozabella

HSC
i didnt really take a lot of notice of the dot point becoz it didnt seem to make sense to me either! but identify only means to recognise and name! n so u should only have to know that yes they are non-metals that react to form acidic solns from the RHS of the periodic table n know the equations with which they do that n thats all we did! sorry if this doesnt help!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
affirmative on the water bit...

acidic oxide requires reaction with water to become acid...

~*Shell*~

Carbon dioxide (CO2 ), sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) all dissolve in water forming acid solutions.
To detect that a non-metal oxide gas is acidic with indicator paper, the paper must be moist. Moisture enables the gas to dissolve and form the acid that produces hydrogen ions. Reaction of a hydrogen ion with an indicator causes the colour change.

- thats straight from the charles sturt website

jarro_2783

HSC
it's identify oxides of non metals, not as. Maybe that was just a typo.

It says describe the conditions, so you have to be able to describe them. The conditions are just that they have to be dissolved in water, because NO2 isn't an acid on it's own. It's when it get's dissolved it turns into H2NO3. Then it reacts with the water

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)