• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

P plater learning to drive auto? (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

So I have my P plates for auto but I want to learn to drive manual so how do I do that? Do I have to display learner plates or something? :confused:

SlipStream

HSC
I'm pretty sure you just keep your Ps on, but you need a fully licensed driver next to you. Practice on back streets until you're competent, then you probably need to resit your DART in a manual. BTW, you perhaps need to adjust the title... ;)

Contact the RTA with your enquiry by clicking here.

G

Gavvvvvin

What would happen if i got busted driving a manual without a manual license? :p

mishka

HSC
N/A
According to the latest edition of Open Road, as of July 11 2005 if you went for your red Ps in an automatic you cannot drive a manual car.

Might be worth having a look at those rules...:rolleyes:

mishka

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's what I thought but Open Road says otherwise.. I'm going to hunt for the rules :p

roadcone

HSC
if you are on your red P's then to drive a manual you 'legally' need another driver (on their blacks) in the car with you.

once you get your green P's you can drive manual by yourself - even if you originally sat your driving test on an auto.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i know people who have had auto licences, and drove manuals, and never had anything said to them when they got pulled over. but there would be those cops that do look

7th Sign

HSC
wait till you get your greens then you can drive manule all you want....

7th Sign

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
i know people who have had auto licences, and drove manuals, and never had anything said to them when they got pulled over. but there would be those cops that do look

if their girls of course their going to get off

if their a angry leb kid they will get done for everything...

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i'm red P and i drive manual now...like everyday.

i reckon if you're not dodgy, then they wont care too much (i've driven manual everyday, for 3/4 of a year, so i'd hope im not dodgy :rolleyes::p).
If you're learning i'd suggest try and do it somewhere quiet, i live in a peninsula and cops rarely ever come here, so i learnt on the local backstreets without the real worry of being caught or causing problems for other road users

Srixon

HSC
so say if i get my red p's tommorow in an auto, when i get my green P's can i drive a manual unsupervised, (thats what i thoguht u could do) till i seen the thing after july 11th in open road

G

Gavvvvvin

braad said:
i'm red P and i drive manual now...like everyday.

i reckon if you're not dodgy, then they wont care too much (i've driven manual everyday, for 3/4 of a year, so i'd hope im not dodgy :rolleyes::p).
If you're learning i'd suggest try and do it somewhere quiet, i live in a peninsula and cops rarely ever come here, so i learnt on the local backstreets without the real worry of being caught or causing problems for other road users
And you got your p's in an auto?

If you can break the law, so can I :cool:

SlipStream

HSC
You'd probably only get pinged if it was a young, cocky cop. Be nice to cops and show them respect - don't treat them with contempt - and you'll minimise your chances of getting any "extra" fines, like defects, licence violations, etc. Old cops are generally the most understanding - they'll only start getting picky if you're an arse to them. Always get out of your car and meet them halfway between the cars. Be nice to the women cops, if you've done something wrong then acknowledge it and be co-operative, shake hands with male cops and introduce yourself. Come across as stressed (run your hand through your hair, stand next to the cop rather than opposite them). This way you're improving your chances of getting away with a formal warning, or a smaller fine than otherwise.

But if you don't think you were doing anything wrong, don't admit anything! Ask to see the speed camera reading, get the officer's name, badge # or whatever, the patrol car's rego number and police ID doodah and take the matter to court (that's what I'd do anyway).

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
_DeathlessOne_ said:
And you got your p's in an auto?

If you can break the law, so can I :cool:
haha...yep, thats right! :p

though i'm going for my greens like, as soon as i can book it :rolleyes:

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
You'd probably only get pinged if it was a young, cocky cop. Be nice to cops and show them respect - don't treat them with contempt - and you'll minimise your chances of getting any "extra" fines, like defects, licence violations, etc. Old cops are generally the most understanding - they'll only start getting picky if you're an arse to them. Always get out of your car and meet them halfway between the cars. Be nice to the women cops, if you've done something wrong then acknowledge it and be co-operative, shake hands with male cops and introduce yourself. Come across as stressed (run your hand through your hair, stand next to the cop rather than opposite them). This way you're improving your chances of getting away with a formal warning, or a smaller fine than otherwise.

But if you don't think you were doing anything wrong, don't admit anything! Ask to see the speed camera reading, get the officer's name, badge # or whatever, the patrol car's rego number and police ID doodah and take the matter to court (that's what I'd do anyway).
the get out and meet half way?

i thought that'd be a bit confronting

sally_33

HSC
miss_gtr said:
to be honest, i dont think cops really give a toss.. and if you get pulled up for breath testing etc, they usually dont look what transmission you drive and which one is stated on your licence.
i got pulled over for breath testing once and they didnt even ask to see my licence at all

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
braad said:
the get out and meet half way?

i thought that'd be a bit confronting
Shaking their hands seems patronising to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)