Paralegal Interview at BD (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys,

Any tips for an interview at BD? I've had lots of interviews for paralegal jobs but only at small firms.

I'm a bit worried, how do I explain away my crappy last semester where I got 2 Ps? I hope its not a disaster, I manily have a credit av with the odd D or HD and less than a years paralegal experience.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
If its a guy sleep with him, If its a woman sleep with her take a video then blackmail.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mel, i'm not going to repeat the advice i gave in this posthttp://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3695765&postcount=77.

if you have to consider how to explain away your 2 passes then my advice is to be honest, in a positive light: were you over-committed that semester? were there extraneous circumstances? if there were, what did you learn from these experiences and, applying what you have learnt, how have you improved since that semester?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I figure that I'll just be honest but I don't want to sound like I am making excuses.

I still am not 100% sure what happened but I think it was a combination of things like looking for work because I was miserable in my job (so I spent ages looking for new jobs) getting into a slump after a tough assignment and also just getting frustrated with length of time left to study. That said I have had a much better start this semester and reduced procrastination by heaps so I hope that will help.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Honesty is good, but instead of saying 'miserable with my last job' say you were looking for work because you wanted to go to 'the next level' and 'realise your full potential as a paralegal.'

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

At least I have sorted academic transcipts, I had to hunt down an old UWS one.

Once I have been interviewed I'll post some of the questions...might be helpful to someone

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
cl'utz recently advertised a paralegal in their international arbitration practice (to which my friend was successful in applying). it was advertised on our law student society webpage, the careers department job database and the cl'utz website.

i think you're not looking close enough.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
proust said:
Seriously, how does everyone keep bagging these Paralegal interviews and jobs? I keep an eye on all the major firms but I never see any opportunities advertised - I'm thus either a) blind; b) an ignoramous or c) an idiot.
I felt like that for ages, my advice is don't stop looking AND be proactive. The most success I have had is cold-emailing and pesistant! I can't say cold email enough, it sounds weird but it has got me plently of interviews AND the one's I least expected.

For this I applied to one of those general expression of interests for paralegal that they leave open all year and they just had an opening so they gave me a call.

Generally it seems when I give up I get a shot. That said I doubt I will get this one.

I applied for that clutz job Frigid and got one of those lovely "due to the high calibre of applicants...'

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I applied for that clutz job Frigid and got one of those lovely "due to the high calibre of applicants...'
sweetie, that's coz you were up against a friend of mine who is literally crazy, bubbly, super well-rounded, ex-Vis arbitration moot, law journal team, law WAM 80%+, heaps of work experience etc etc...

don't worry -- my nickname for her is panda :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Hows it going you are near the end Frigid...I so cannot wait to finish
another five weeks of class and Nov 30 is the due date of my last piece of assessment. ummmm, relaxing, lots of coffee, friends, chasing 1st class honours, etc.

all is well :)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
this one law firm rejected me three times. first there was the original rejection, then they called twice more over a year to ask whether i was still interested, then called two weeks later and rejected me again. they said it was because i was such a good candidate that they were calling again and again, but if i'm that good why don't you hire me?!

(i think i needed an extra reference, i had two from the same place).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
No, unfortunately but the interview seemed to go well but they sort of needed days I couldn't do.

They basically went through almost everything in my resume, asked me about strenghts, weaknesses, favourite subjects, what kind of work I am doing now and general abilities suited to the job.

They were very nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)