Parents Reaction to UAI marks (1 Viewer)

kido525

HSC
So lets start off by saying the mark and your parents reactions

Well i got 68.55 and my parents seemed fine with it they wanted me to get a higher UAI but getting into UNI is what they find the most important aspect if it was <50 i will be packing my bags >.<''

cataleptic

HSC
My mum was standing behind me when I got mine, and she was really happy. I sat there and stared and then cried, but nah both my parents were over the moon :)

Oh, I got 97.95.

My parents were really on my back about it in year 11 and early year 12, like "you BETTER pull those god damn marks in" and all shit like that, putting heaps of pressure on me. But one night I just sorta lost it at my mum because I mean hey - she only did year 10, then suffered because of it. She was living her unfulfilled dreams through me and I was sick of it. They left me alone after that, but they were very, very happy for me. My whole family are.

Last edited:

spillargroove

HSC
I'll summarise what happen today:

1) I got 68.70 UAI
2) Mum found out. She was very depressed.
3) She lied to my dad when he asked her. Said I got 89.
4) Dad over-criticised my performance and swore.
5) He's not speaking to me for a prolonged period.

kow_dude

HSC
In the short term, you parents may not be happy about it but in the long term, they will support you in TAFE or whatever you decide to do.

reprise

Thrilled beyond belief

that my daughter not only finished her HSC, but picked up a band 6 on the run-through. Who cares about the "low" UAI, it only has relevance for the next couple of months and she wasn't going to apply for 2006 anyway. Yes, she "could" have got a high 90s UAI based on her school performance up until year 10. Her child will still be relevant in 18 years, her UAI will not - there was never really any contest.

I HATE this living vicariously through your kids shit where the marks they achieve and the courses they choose are more important than our children's happiness. We HAD our own chances at success. It is not up to any of you to live our dreams - you should all be far to busy pursuing your own dreams to worry about ours.

UAI 62.90

Last edited:

elisabeth

HSC
Seemed OK about it, today hasn't been the best day though because they had the shits as the house isn't clean.

I'm just looking forward to Monday when I can see my teachers - they're the parental figures who will be more proud of me. :D

reprise

spillargroove said:
I'll summarise what happen today:

1) I got 68.70 UAI
2) Mum found out. She was very depressed.
3) She lied to my dad when he asked her. Said I got 89.
4) Dad over-criticised my performance and swore.
5) He's not speaking to me for a prolonged period.
:(

You must feel like absolute crap. How very sad that your parents feel unable to be proud of your achievements rather than critical of your failure to meet some arbitrary target which was set without your own happiness in mind.

My daughter was disappointed with her UAI. All I could point out to her were the positives.

Honey, if you managed to pull a band 6 from the chaos of the last 2 years, believe me, when it comes mature age entry time you are way in front of the field. Do you realise you got in the top 4.75% of the state in your maths course? That you were one of only 25 students in your whole year (450 students) who got band 6 in Maths? That you did all of that while affected by bipolar disorder, being pregnant, and raising a child. If that's not "success" my darling, then I don't know what is.

And I meant every single fucking word.

Jaydels

HSC
My mum was in tears (of joy)...........as was I
Its her b'day today too, keeps telling me its the best b'day present ever
(I got 94.1)

cataleptic

HSC
elisabeth said:
I'm just looking forward to Monday when I can see my teachers - they're the parental figures who will be more proud of me. :D
Haha, I know exactly what you mean :)

reprise

elisabeth said:
Seemed OK about it, today hasn't been the best day though because they had the shits as the house isn't clean.

I said it to them directly on Graduation Day, but it's worth saying again anyway.

To every single teacher who spent the extra hours helping my daughter catch up on the work she'd missed, revising the work which didn't sink into her pregnancy brain, and making yourselves available to her at any and every time of the day when she had an available moment to focus on school work : the foundations of whatever success my daughter ultimately achieves in life were laid by your passion for and commitment to her education. You were mentors in every sense of the word, and what a different world this would be if all students were fortunate enough to encounter teachers such as yourselves.

reprise

natstar said:
It puzzles me when people think that the UAI is the most important thing, over actual HSC marks. The UAI only is to get into uni, if you get a crap one, theres loads of ways around it to get what you want.
The HSC marks are the real measure of your performance, the UAI ranks and compares you with others....
My brother didnt get a UAI, but every single person has been asking.."What UAI did you get" rather than what were your marks..
Parents that get pissed off over their childs performance piss me off. They should be proud of you regardless, you finished the HSC for fucks sake. This is just my opinion though
No, it's the opinion of every sane parent out there as well. You do not exist to live our dreams or score brownie points for us in the "keeping up with the Jones's" stakes. You are not trophies we should shine and put on display when it suits our social purpose, only to be hidden away when someone else has a bigger, newer, or shinier trophy. If we did that to our spouses, we'd be rightly condemned - we sure as shit should not be doing it to our children.

darkroomgirl

HSC
My parents are ecstatic, and very, very proud of me (I got a UAI of 97.50)!!! My sister wrecked it somewhat by telling my mum before I got the chance to... I heard her reaction though, so it's all good.

My friends' reactions were the best, I should say. Most of them were screaming down the phone as soon as I told them...

bradc1988

HSC
My Dad was pretty happy, although he doesn't really understand the whole UAI thing. But he understood a 90 in Physics and 94 in Math. My sister was able to appreciate my UAI more because she did hers in 2001.

I got 92.8.

7th Sign

HSC
my parents are pissed off hard...

especially my mum just had a exchange of comments then I left after punching a table...and shit went flying everywhere...

cataleptic

HSC
reprise said:
:(

You must feel like absolute crap. How very sad that your parents feel unable to be proud of your achievements rather than critical of your failure to meet some arbitrary target which was set without your own happiness in mind.

My daughter was disappointed with her UAI. All I could point out to her were the positives.

Honey, if you managed to pull a band 6 from the chaos of the last 2 years, believe me, when it comes mature age entry time you are way in front of the field. Do you realise you got in the top 4.75% of the state in your maths course? That you were one of only 25 students in your whole year (450 students) who got band 6 in Maths? That you did all of that while affected by bipolar disorder, being pregnant, and raising a child. If that's not "success" my darling, then I don't know what is.

And I meant every single fucking word.
You are awesome - your daughter is so incredibly lucky to have a parent supporting her like that. Much kudos and respect to you :)

kow_dude

HSC
natstar said:
It puzzles me when people think that the UAI is the most important thing, over actual HSC marks. The UAI only is to get into uni, if you get a crap one, theres loads of ways around it to get what you want.
The HSC marks are the real measure of your performance, the UAI ranks and compares you with others....
My brother didnt get a UAI, but every single person has been asking.."What UAI did you get" rather than what were your marks..
The UAI summarises the HSC marks, so why would anyone bother asking for individual marks.

HSC
my parents was behind me when i opened the UAC page

my step-dad delayed his time for work just for me

my mum don't have a job so she's at home 24/7

typed in my password and application code

.....loading

i suddenly sneezed (turns my head on the right)

my mother looked at it first

she was holding a large wooden spoon

i looked up

my mum whooped my ass (my head first)

i yelled "what was that for?"

she said look at your results!!

i looked and i was "fuck, i got 69"

my step dad took me outside

he told me that "i don't live here no more"

i wimped

ran to my mate's house

found out that my parents wasn't home afterwards

i sneaked into my house, breaking into my bedroom

and locked out my parents...they're still knocking as i type :cool:

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
natstar said:
Its a rank that compares you to others. Even if everyone got subjects over 90, there would still have to be a ranking from 100 down
Well, most people want to study a course at a university and the UAI is - maybe not the only - but the easiest and quickest way to get them there. While it's not the case for everyone, the majority of us have more use for our UAI than our marks.

Pro Gamer

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
my parents was behind me when i opened the UAC page

my step-dad delayed his time for work just fpr me

my mum don't have a job so she's at home 24/7

typed in my password and application code

.....loading

i suddenly sneezed (turns my head on the right)

my mother looked at it first

she was holding a large wooden spoon

i looked up

my mum whooped my ass (my head first)

i yelled "what was that for?"

she said look at your results!!

i looked and i was "fuck, i got 69"

my step dad took me outside

he told me that "i don't live here no more"

i wimped

ran to my mate's house

found out that my parents wasn't home afterwards

i sneaked into my house, breaking into my bedroom

and locked out my parents...they're still knocking as i type :cool:

lmao haha!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)