• Congratulations to the Class of 2021 on your results!
    Let us know how you went here
    Got a question about your uni preferences? Ask us here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

PENS! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Seasoned writers, what are the best pens for smooth fast writing, easy to grip and light to hold during exams? I am unfortunately not so well versed in this area and have long stubbornly suck to muji 0.5 pens but im looking for other options to trial this holidays! What are some brands you recommend? I am looking for 0.5 because 1.0 is too fat and makes my handwriting borderline illegible. I was looking at jetstream uniballs (?) but they all seem to only offer 1.0 at officeworks unless i am proven wrong??

Thanks!

Anaya R

HSC
Staedtler is pretty good if you get the triangle ones. Same with the anko pens (surprisingly since it's kmart)
I'd say to avoid Inkjoy though, since their pens can get inky and more prone to smudging/bleeding if you aren't careful.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Nothing wrong with Muji 0.5. If your handwriting is not smooth or fast, it's very likely you have (like over 70% of your generation) not learnt how to write properly. Ask your grandparents or someone their age; they should know how to write and be able to show you how. But it won't be easy to change your handwriting, now you have been doing it your way for years now.

Anaya R

HSC
Nothing wrong with Muji 0.5. If your handwriting is not smooth or fast, it's very likely you have (like over 70% of your generation) not learnt how to write properly. Ask your grandparents or someone their age; they should know how to write.
But you can also get quicker with:
1. Practice
2. Knowing your stuff.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
But you can also get quicker with:
1. Practice
2. Knowing your stuff.
A smooth-writing instrument is of course better than one that struggles to glide.

Knowing your stuff? You mean if you know your stuff, your thoughts can flow more smoothly into written words? Of course!

airora

HSC
not learnt how to write properly
didn't know there was an objective standard for writing "properly" but okay :rolleyes:
honestly, I think that as long as your handwriting is legible, and you're comfortable with your pen grip then it should be fine. the HSC is essentially the only time in your life that you'll have to write at this rate and for such an extensive amount of time - changing your handwriting at this stage, imo, is a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

But I do agree that if Muji 0.5 is going well then there's no need to change. I think there are also other sized uniball jetstreams(e.g. Uni Jetstream 101 Rollerball Pen 0.7mm) but you'll probably need to try them in-store to figure out if they're a good fit. I've heard that the Pilot G2s (0.38/0.5/0.7) are also good alternatives, as well as the Zebra Sarasas if you want to give them a try :)

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You are right. In today's world handwriting is no longer relevant, except for the few occasions like sitting the HSC. But the post was not about handwriting per se, but about a better pen.

nourished.

HSC
Seasoned writers, what are the best pens for smooth fast writing, easy to grip and light to hold during exams? I am unfortunately not so well versed in this area and have long stubbornly suck to muji 0.5 pens but im looking for other options to trial this holidays! What are some brands you recommend? I am looking for 0.5 because 1.0 is too fat and makes my handwriting borderline illegible. I was looking at jetstream uniballs (?) but they all seem to only offer 1.0 at officeworks unless i am proven wrong??

Thanks!
Muji has this click pen 0.5 which is very, very good.

idkkdi

HSC

Thanks!
u would definitely increase speed if you increase to 0.7. jetstreams do exist in 0.7, maybe find it online? Muji's also exist in 0.7.

Yakult1

HSC
I wrote my fastest with the 0.5 Muji click pen.

ruminguyen

HSC
uhm i my opinion, muji 0.5 is ok and enough. to increase the speed, it's you who should practise more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)