people and their preferences (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i know that a lot of people get confused about what course to do and what they really want, but this just gets on my nerves.
when people go " hmmm oh look my umat results were shit, i know lets just put down psychology(or something else) instead, actually no even better let's put in BA psychology cos it went really really high at USYD last year"
even though they really really like science/maths based stuff they stick BA psych in before B psych
why?
BECAUSE THE UAI WENT HIGHER
UM EXCUSE ME BUT THE UAI FOR A COURSE IS BASED ON SUPPLY AND DEMAND, IF YOU GOT INTO A COURSE LIKE B PSYCHOLOGY (96. something) AND IT SUITS YOU THEN WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? WHY TAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S SPOT IN ANOTHER COURSE?
why else do you think some of these courses go so high? cos half the time people who didn't get into medicine or something else just stick in courses based on UAI and then take someone else's spot, someone who really really wants to do the course and you might be what stands between that person and the final cut off.
how does that make you feel?
cos it makes me fucking pissed

Gosford

HSC
i totally agree with you
my back up to medicine is podiatry (uai 82, 78 if from newcaslte area)
its is unfair on you people that have the passion
i personally think people r a bit too dependent on uai as a guide

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
i agree with both of you.
theres heaps of people i know who dont wanna do pharmacy as its a "failed doctors" course ... who're sticking it first into their prefs now , since they screwed up umat.

theyre the people with high UAI estimates too.

what if i dont get in =( .. i wanted to do it the whole time !!

pretty.in.punk

Totally The Bomb...
HSC
I am so so so bloody glad that people out there are expressing just as much bloody frustration at the very issue which has literally DRIVEN ME OVER THE FUCKING EDGE for the last couple of weeks.

It IS COMPLETELY UNFAIR! I am just as passionate and just as upset at the fact that i am unable to further my study and fuel my passion just because i don't get the right mark. For me, it goes further than JUST the marks.

Warning: Semi-Rant approaching...

It's the idea that half of the doctors, lawyers, teachers and professors (ect.) out there today were only able to get their degrees in order to practice in their chosen feild BECAUSE THEY WERE EASILY OBTAINED! THEY WERE FREE.

NO HECS
NO FEES
NO BULLSHIT.

I hate the fact that i will need to defer for a year and save money in order to pay my way through university without owing the government, simply because i was not as privelaged as someone with greater financial status than me. It invalidates my entire means for studying, and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know that the way things are now (in regards to the system) only encourages that element of 'pre-determined fates' in a sense.

If you have the passion, the knowledge and the ability to practice in any field then why should your financial status or someone else's selfish behaviour resulting in a higher cut off mark stop you in your tracks? grrrr *fired up now lol*

P.S my bad for going slightly off-topic

P.P.S Ahen, I'm such a fan of that Shane pic lol....gahhh she's the bomb

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
pretty.in.punk said:
I am so so so bloody glad that people out there are expressing just as much bloody frustration at the very issue which has literally DRIVEN ME OVER THE FUCKING EDGE for the last couple of weeks.

It IS COMPLETELY UNFAIR! I am just as passionate and just as upset at the fact that i am unable to further my study and fuel my passion just because i don't get the right mark. For me, it goes further than JUST the marks.

Warning: Semi-Rant approaching...

It's the idea that half of the doctors, lawyers, teachers and professors (ect.) out there today were only able to get their degrees in order to practice in their chosen feild BECAUSE THEY WERE EASILY OBTAINED! THEY WERE FREE.

NO HECS
NO FEES
NO BULLSHIT.

I hate the fact that i will need to defer for a year and save money in order to pay my way through university without owing the government, simply because i was not as privelaged as someone with greater financial status than me. It invalidates my entire means for studying, and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to know that the way things are now (in regards to the system) only encourages that element of 'pre-determined fates' in a sense.

If you have the passion, the knowledge and the ability to practice in any field then why should your financial status or someone else's selfish behaviour resulting in a higher cut off mark stop you in your tracks? grrrr *fired up now lol*

P.S my bad for going slightly off-topic

P.P.S Ahen, I'm such a fan of that Shane pic lol....gahhh she's the bomb
AGREE!!!!!!
(and yes shane is uber cool :p)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
well, if it helps, i actually want to do psychology if i don't get into medicine. Like, if i don't get into med, i'd definitely want to be a psychologist. =)

Just so you don't think i'm one of those crazy spot-stealer persons. >_>"

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Oh my lord. I want to do Psychology too, though I want to do it via the B Advanced Science course, not the straight B Psych.

Does it matter which way you go about it? Because in the end you become (hopefully) a registered psychologist anyway. But then, B Psych does sound a bit nicer on your testamur.

On the topic, I haven't even thought about it that way yet so it hasn't really brimmed any anger bubbles yet.

~kiki

HSC
Lol--

Yesterday I had a talk with a friend. She messed up her umat test so she can't do medicine. So what does she do? She puts down veterinary science as her first preference even though she has no interest in animals and HATES birds. She is absolutely terrified of birds, so terrified she can' even look at a feather. How is veterinary science a lead on from medicine- they are totally unrelated! Veterinary science is for peopl who have a passion for animals, not people who decide that since they couldn't get into medicine they'd choose vet science cause its sorta similar right? Sick people... sick animals?...

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
m0ofin said:
Oh my lord. I want to do Psychology too, though I want to do it via the B Advanced Science course, not the straight B Psych.

Does it matter which way you go about it? Because in the end you become (hopefully) a registered psychologist anyway. But then, B Psych does sound a bit nicer on your testamur.

On the topic, I haven't even thought about it that way yet so it hasn't really brimmed any anger bubbles yet.
yeah i see what you mean, i wanna do it through the BA if i don't get into BA (psychology) but the thing is that with a straight BA or BSc you won't get a "garunteed" honours place , which is what you get in B Psych and BA psych - and that is required to go on to become a registered psycho, and that's why im pissed, otherwise i wouldn't really give a shit :D

Ademir

HSC
So what you're saying is, people should avoid applying for "back-up" courses in order to give you a better chance of getting in to what you really love? People who don't get into medicine should just pack up and forget about their future because they didn't make the 99.95 cutoff, or because they didn't do as well as they hoped on UMAT? That sounds reasonable. Never mind that they worked their arses off to get results that are BETTER THAN YOURS hence why they will get into the course that you want instead of you.

Seriously.

There is no objective way of measuring "passion". Yet there is an objective way of measuring HSC test results. So that is what course offers are going to be based on.

I'm not saying I agree with people just putting down courses because they can get in, even if they have no interest in the degree, that's stupid. But if someone is interested in psychology AND medicine, but is more interested in Medicine, and then doesn't get in, why shouldn't they apply for pyschology?

If it bothers you that much, instead of whining, study harder and get the better results. Sheesh.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Ademir said:
So what you're saying is, people should avoid applying for "back-up" courses in order to give you a better chance of getting in to what you really love? People who don't get into medicine should just pack up and forget about their future because they didn't make the 99.95 cutoff, or because they didn't do as well as they hoped on UMAT? That sounds reasonable. Never mind that they worked their arses off to get results that are BETTER THAN YOURS hence why they will get into the course that you want instead of you.
That's a valid point too, and I agree, but I'm sure the OP agrees with this point you made:

Ademir said:
I'm not saying I agree with people just putting down courses because they can get in, even if they have no interest in the degree, that's stupid.
That's the thing that really cuts most people too.
Especially if you find friends who've made it into a course they never wanted , but you wanted.

Ademir said:
If it bothers you that much, instead of whining, study harder and get the better results. Sheesh.
Lol well thats what we're doing :p - need to vent sometimes too haha.

haha. lol @ahen & noir.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
Ademir said:

Seriously.

There is no objective way of measuring "passion". Yet there is an objective way of measuring HSC test results. So that is what course offers are going to be based on.

I'm not saying I agree with people just putting down courses because they can get in, even if they have no interest in the degree, that's stupid. But if someone is interested in psychology AND medicine, but is more interested in Medicine, and then doesn't get in, why shouldn't they apply for pyschology?

i have absolutely no issue with someone who likes both courses a, b , c etc etc that they put down in their preferences. if they would actually be willing to spend years doing such a degree then go for it. what pisses me off is the people like someone said previously where a person didn't do well in UMAT but decided that they would do vet science because it's "similar" - even though they hate animals. it's people like that who piss me off, not people who have a geniuine interest in all their preferences. i for one did not put down courses just to "fill up space" or just because such and such's UAI is higher so i have to do that even though the course i really want to do has a UAI of 67 or whatever
by the way the medicine/psych thing is just an example to illustrate my frustration.
i have friends who want to do medicine and have things like pharmacy and health sciences as their back up choices but they also are INTERESTED in the fields they put down.

Ademir

HSC
ahen said:
i have absolutely no issue with someone who likes both courses a, b , c etc etc that they put down in their preferences. if they would actually be willing to spend years doing such a degree then go for it. what pisses me off is the people like someone said previously where a person didn't do well in UMAT but decided that they would do vet science because it's "similar" - even though they hate animals. it's people like that who piss me off, not people who have a geniuine interest in all their preferences. i for one did not put down courses just to "fill up space" or just because such and such's UAI is higher so i have to do that even though the course i really want to do has a UAI of 67 or whatever
by the way the medicine/psych thing is just an example to illustrate my frustration.
i have friends who want to do medicine and have things like pharmacy and health sciences as their back up choices but they also are INTERESTED in the fields they put down.
But look at it from the perspective of someone who is getting those high results such as 98.xx but isn't capable of getting into medicine which often requires 99.xx as well as the UMAT stuff.

What would be your ultimate suggestion to them? Because they didn't get into medicine, they should just give up on uni and go out and work a manual labour job or something?

I know I would rather study something I'm not that interested in at uni than not do uni at all; but I'm lucky because with the exception of law, the degrees I'm interested in aren't too difficult to get into and are customisable.

Can you honestly say that if you didn't get into the one thing you were interested in, you wouldn't go to uni at all, even though you might have gotten a UAI like 98? If so, I'd venture to call you a liar.

If you're not able to do the thing you truly love, then it's reasonable to assume you'd want to study SOMETHING at uni in order to at least secure your financial future. Did you consider that maybe some people plan on transfering into the course they want after the first year? You can't do that if you don't get into SOME degree.

By that logic, it is reasonable to assume that someone who really really wants to do medicine is going to opt for something similar to it in case they dont get in. what are their options?

1. Study something at uni that they are not that interested

or

2. Forget about uni and work some other job, that they will probably be even less interested in (assuming this person is capable of getting marks good enough to get into high-cutoff uni courses, but not quite high enough for medicine)

Ademir

HSC
Let me reiterate that I do agree with you that people should do what they like not what UAI they are capable of getting.

but I have a feeling that you're just frustrated that someone more capable than you is getting into a course that you want, while you really really want it.

I remember feeling like this before because I've been told that law courses are full of ext 2 maths/physics/chem nerds who get 99.xx UAI's but only apply for law because its prestigious while having no real interest in it.

but then I realised, that's stupid and childish. if someone is better than me, I cant be bitter just because I want it badder than they do.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
Ademir said:
But look at it from the perspective of someone who is getting those high results such as 98.xx but isn't capable of getting into medicine which often requires 99.xx as well as the UMAT stuff.

What would be your ultimate suggestion to them? Because they didn't get into medicine, they should just give up on uni and go out and work a manual labour job or something?

I know I would rather study something I'm not that interested in at uni than not do uni at all; but I'm lucky because with the exception of law, the degrees I'm interested in aren't too difficult to get into and are customisable.

Can you honestly say that if you didn't get into the one thing you were interested in, you wouldn't go to uni at all, even though you might have gotten a UAI like 98? If so, I'd venture to call you a liar.

If you're not able to do the thing you truly love, then it's reasonable to assume you'd want to study SOMETHING at uni in order to at least secure your financial future. Did you consider that maybe some people plan on transfering into the course they want after the first year? You can't do that if you don't get into SOME degree.

By that logic, it is reasonable to assume that someone who really really wants to do medicine is going to opt for something similar to it in case they dont get in. what are their options?

1. Study something at uni that they are not that interested

or

2. Forget about uni and work some other job, that they will probably be even less interested in (assuming this person is capable of getting marks good enough to get into high-cutoff uni courses, but not quite high enough for medicine)
nope they shouldn't give up on uni and obviously they wouldn't have much intention of going into a trade etc
what i'm saying is, people like them who have the capability to do so exceptionally well should NOT do a course that does not interest them at all just because they want to transfer later, i personally think that's a bit selfish. there are heaps of Unis within the sydney area alone who offer countless courses, surely there must be one that has
A. a course aside from your first preference that suits you
B. a cut off that you can/have achieved

it only pisses me off if people take a course for the sole reason of transferring later, they have literally no interest in the course but do it just because the UAI is high and/or for prestige 'ooh look at me i hate animals but i'm doing vet science" well good luck to you there i'm sure you'll enjoy your course immensely and absolutely ace it. ( that was just an example, not directed at anyone in particular) there's no point doing a course that goes so high that you don't even like because often they require a distinction/credit average just to remain in the course re. pharmacy
and if someone doesn't really know what they want to do but know they want to transfer into medicine later then there's always something like B Med Sc and BSc, both of which have lower UAIs both of which have links to medicine and both of which will give a medicine "failure" some scope in their chosen field, especially with a generalist degree, those are perfect for people who aren't sure of what they want to do because it gives them a wide scope of opportunity.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
Ademir said:
Let me reiterate that I do agree with you that people should do what they like not what UAI they are capable of getting.

but I have a feeling that you're just frustrated that someone more capable than you is getting into a course that you want, while you really really want it.

I remember feeling like this before because I've been told that law courses are full of ext 2 maths/physics/chem nerds who get 99.xx UAI's but only apply for law because its prestigious while having no real interest in it.

but then I realised, that's stupid and childish. if someone is better than me, I cant be bitter just because I want it badder than they do.
getting a higher mark/rank doesn't make them better though. i think its stupid doing law if you have no interest in it, shows that getting a 99UAI doesn't make you smart.
yeah i'm a bit frustrated but i'm not too worried, i have my fall back courses that will let me do psychology anyway and i mean a few years down the track i might not even want to do it, hence i want to do BA psych - giving me double the options as well as allowing me to gain some sort of qualification in the field which i have a genuine interest in :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Ademir said:

lol i guess you've got a point ..

but i shall continue to rage and storm once in a while :p

Ademir

HSC
ahen said:
nope they shouldn't give up on uni and obviously they wouldn't have much intention of going into a trade etc
what i'm saying is, people like them who have the capability to do so exceptionally well should NOT do a course that does not interest them at all just because they want to transfer later, i personally think that's a bit selfish. there are heaps of Unis within the sydney area alone who offer countless courses, surely there must be one that has
A. a course aside from your first preference that suits you
B. a cut off that you can/have achieved

it only pisses me off if people take a course for the sole reason of transferring later, they have literally no interest in the course but do it just because the UAI is high and/or for prestige 'ooh look at me i hate animals but i'm doing vet science" well good luck to you there i'm sure you'll enjoy your course immensely and absolutely ace it. ( that was just an example, not directed at anyone in particular) there's no point doing a course that goes so high that you don't even like because often they require a distinction/credit average just to remain in the course re. pharmacy
and if someone doesn't really know what they want to do but know they want to transfer into medicine later then there's always something like B Med Sc and BSc, both of which have lower UAIs both of which have links to medicine and both of which will give a medicine "failure" some scope in their chosen field, especially with a generalist degree, those are perfect for people who aren't sure of what they want to do because it gives them a wide scope of opportunity.
I get what you're saying honey but it really isn't that simple. I think it's pretty normal for someone who wanted to do medicine to be interested in psychology. You can tell em to do a BSc but the whole reason they wanted to do medicine was to interact with patients etc. I really doubt there's that many people out there who would do something they are completely uninterested in anyway.

I sincerely hope that the girl who hates animals either gets over it or finds a new career.

At the end of the day, you can argue as much as you want about passion and all that - but the fact of the matter is if your marks are good enough, it's ultimately up to you what you do with your life. I agree 100% that people should follow their hearts, but not everyone believes that. And who are we to tell someone that money "isn't that important" in the face of enjoying your career, when to them, it very well may be.

You also have to consider the background that some people come from. Alot of people I know are just applying for prestigious courses (and are capable of getting in) simply because their parents want them to. Sometimes this pressure is enough to make someone apply for something they hate. It's a very real influence on preferences and you have to be from that kind of background to understand it.

poppop

HSC
N/A
just a quick advice to ahen, judging from your current high school subjects chosen, you may not enjoy studying psychology.

psychology involves fair bit of maths and statistics and I assume you are quiet liberated in your thinking and learning (most of your subjects seem to be creative arts) Also i believe Mathematics is an assumed/recommended knowledge for psychology degrees.

I don't want to intrude with your decision making or anything :) it's just that my sister who basically did near identical subjects as you didn't enjoy psychology at usyd and ended up transfering to something she is good at, B Design / BA International Studies at UTS (which also has a cut off around 97~99)

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)