pharmacy + stat (1 Viewer)

D

doiyoubi

Are you able to study the pharmacy course if you acquire the uai cut off but don't meet the stat test requirement? Like if you got a score that was just under what is needed?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
No. You need to get a stat score of 151 or higher to be elegible on top of your UAI requirement. You are elegible to take state twice a year (once every half year or so) so if you dont get your mark the first time, you can get it the second time. Id imagine the exam would be similar as well.

Q

Quynh nhu

hey there =]
im a yr 12 student currently studying for the hsc.. and i was wondering, can you do B. advanced science and transfer to B. pharm? is that possible?
thankx

tennille

HSC
Yes it is possible, although you probably need to get a distinction average in your first year in order to transfer in your second year.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
referring to what quynh nhu asked. does that mean doing it in the same uni? and is it just called B. advanced science??

hobbit

HSC
No, you can do almost any course at any university and transfer into pharmacy, it just most probably requires a distinction average and the required STAT score to get in though. The only advantage of doing a science course though, is that you have better background knowledge and also you may be exempt from some subjects when you enter pharm, making the study load a lot lighter. My friend did engineering and was still able to change to pharm. Hope this all helps. Good luck!

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
B. advanced science at unsw is uai of 88.
whereas at different universities they offer B. advanced science but with the degree they combine forensic science, bio, phys or chem. so should i just do B. advanced science at unsw and transfer to pharmacy?

also, do you know any other universities that offers b. advanced science?

thank you for your help

tennille

HSC
bitchy girl said:
B. advanced science at unsw is uai of 88.
whereas at different universities they offer B. advanced science but with the degree they combine forensic science, bio, phys or chem. so should i just do B. advanced science at unsw and transfer to pharmacy?

also, do you know any other universities that offers b. advanced science?

thank you for your help
UWS offers advanced science.

hobbit

HSC
Hey, I'm pretty sure Usyd offer B Science (advance) as well, although the UAI is quite a bit higher. If you are planning to do science, make it easier on urself by picking subjects which will allow you to be exempt in pharmacy ie. do your research and pick the right maths, chemistry, pharmacology, physiology etc. Another degree which may be worthwhile to look into as well is med science cos that may also ease the transfer process. Good luck with everything

tennille

HSC
Usyd does offer B Science (advanced). The UAI cut-off for 2005 was 96.40. However, I think the UAI is lower for Pharmacy. You could always do B Medical Science or even just B Science and transfer to Pharmacy after your first year. Subjects I suggest you do that may also be required for Pharmacy, as hobbit has mentioned, include chemistry, calculus/statistics, biology and maybe psychology. Other subjects are purely pharmacy related. If you want the exact details, I suggest you ring up the uni or attend the open days and consult someone there.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
my careers adviser said inorder to transfer to pharm, you have to do B. adv science, she said you cant transfer to pharm from b. science or b. med. science .. so i am pretty confused atm >< pls help !

tennille

HSC
You can transfer from B Medical Science and B Science to Pharmacy. I have a friend who transferred from B Medical Science to Pharmacy after first year. The only difference between B Science and B Science (advanced) is that you are required to do advanced subjects in second and third year- you don't have to do it in first year. So essentially, first year B Science (advanced) can be exactly the same as B Science. Transferring to another degree is mainly dependent on your marks throughout first year.

I wouldn't rely on your careers advisor. You are better off talking to the Science and Pharmacy faculties.

hobbit

HSC
Yeah, Tenille is right. I do pharm and the subjects we do (ie. our bio, chem, maths etc) aren't advanced subjects we essentially do what every other normal science student does (I mean, I did Concepts in Biology which is the most easiest and basic bio u can do at uni). So yeah, u will still be able to have a chance to get into pharm by doing a plain B science, jus make sure u get good marks.

hobbit

HSC
oh yeah, one more thing, I dont know what your careers advisor is on about, but my friend did engineering and got into pharm with no problem, there are even people who transferred from architecture.

melllyy

HSC
Hi, I am interested in doing Pharmacy when i leave school, but I got told that a lot of people drop out because they do not like it. So i was wondering can anyone give me a bit of detail about it, whether it is interesting, what is involved etc, because i am still not 100% about what i want to do.

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
heys ! =]
just wanted to know if whether it is possible to do B. sci and transfer to pharm. cuz some uni offers a low (mid 60-70s) uai for b. sci.. ??

tennille

HSC
bitchy girl said:
heys ! =]
just wanted to know if whether it is possible to do B. sci and transfer to pharm. cuz some uni offers a low (mid 60-70s) uai for b. sci.. ??
Yes, it is. The UAI cut-off is not an indication of how difficult the course is, it is simply an indication of the demand (more popular courses tend to have higher UAI cut-offs). If you perform well enough at uni (eg. distinction average), then it is highly possible that you would be able to transfer to Pharmacy.

lala2

Banned
HSC
melllyy said:
Hi, I am interested in doing Pharmacy when i leave school, but I got told that a lot of people drop out because they do not like it. So i was wondering can anyone give me a bit of detail about it, whether it is interesting, what is involved etc, because i am still not 100% about what i want to do.
It was sooooo boring first semester this year! But tomorrow, I shall find out whether semester 2 really is more interesting, as I think it is. The degree really trains you up for being the local chemist--not so much for hospital pharmacy or working in a pharmaceutical company. Personally, I find the biology and psychology parts of the course interesting....but then again that's just cos I'm bad at chem :rolleyes: what a paradox, doing pharmacy! It is an advantage to have done biology, just because you're focusing on the biology part of chemistry, as opposed to physics and electronics and crap like that (can you see I'm such a biologist? :p) It's only as interesting though, as you make it....just like anything else. Uh, it's a bit hard here unless you've got more specific questions, but yes, if all you're aiming to do is being the shop on the corner, this degree really focuses on it--we even had to do a group report on a community pharmacy last semester!

bitchy_girl said:
heys ! =]
Anything is possible--just make sure you maintain a first year Distinction average and an appropriate STAT score. The course you transferred from will only count when you apply for exemption from certain units of study as you've already covered them, and this only means less contact hours, if successfully awarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)