PHYS1500 or WRIT1001 OR SOMETHING ELSE? (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Narrowed my subjects down for next semester and its down to these two as a filler. So which one? I like PHYS1500 as a filler because it looks like a filler that I might learn some good general knowledge (Ive done HPSC2100 this semester as a filler and loved learning so much general knowledge). Could PHYS1500 at all help me with GAMSAT physics (on the basis that I havent done physics since year 10 so doing a physics based course could help me get a grasp of some physics concepts so when Im learning physics in general itll be easier?). WRIT1001 looks less fun from the learning general knowledge but might be good to work on my writing (I was thinking of WRIT2002 as a filler for next semester as I need a second year subject filler). Would WRIT1001 help with WRIT2002? What I also like about WRIT1001 is no final exam so I can focus more on the subjects relevant to where I want to major during the exam time with the ego boost of hopefully knowing one good grade is already behind me.

So in summary:
PHYS1500- Looks like fun general knowledge and some exposure to physics which may be helpful. BUT final exam
WRIT1001- No final exam and helps me practise and improve my writing BUT looks boring.

EDITED: Is there a suggestion of an ideal subject that is a WAM booster with decent content and no final exam?

Last edited:

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Re: PHYS1500 or WRIT1001

WRIT1001 won't help that much because the content of WRIT1001 will be covered in an hour in WRIT2002.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

Is that a way of saying 'dont do WRIT1001 because its slow and boring and you'll get more out of WRIT1001' or 'Do writ1001 if you want to do writ2002 because writ2002 is so much tougher'

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

PHYS1500 might help you with some of GAMSAT, but on the whole it is more of a general knowledge subject (there are some physics concepts discussed but not in too much detail).

PHYS1500 is a very interesting subject, however, there is a LOT of content that you need to remember. If you're willing to spend the time on it then go for it (I daresay this subject would be a bit more useful than WRIT1001), but otherwise just do WRIT1001.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

PHYS1500 might help you with some of GAMSAT, but on the whole it is more of a general knowledge subject (there are some physics concepts discussed but not in too much detail).

PHYS1500 is a very interesting subject, however, there is a LOT of content that you need to remember. If you're willing to spend the time on it then go for it (I daresay this subject would be a bit more useful than WRIT1001), but otherwise just do WRIT1001.
Yeah I realise that. I was thinking though even the little bit of physics concepts might be helpful when i do actual physics study for GAMSAT.

How difficult is the content to remember? How easy/hard is it to do well? Im trying to balance what Ill get out of the subject with using my space filler as a WAM booster whilst also trying to pick a subject that Ill learn from. Also bear in mind Ill be experiencing the joys of molecular biology so dont want something tooo heavy as well

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

It's not particularly difficult content, there's just a lot of it. If you are up to date with all the work and regularly revise, then you should get a good mark.

The workload is definitely manageable regardless of what your other subjects are, you just need to be consistent.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

It's not particularly difficult content, there's just a lot of it. If you are up to date with all the work and regularly revise, then you should get a good mark.

The workload is definitely manageable regardless of what your other subjects are, you just need to be consistent.
Oh I get you. Should be fine. Can you give me a more detailed description of what you liked/didnt like about the course?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Hmmm OK let's see

PROS - Interesting content, laboratory sessions were very well organised and interesting (lab exam was pretty straightforward too), engaging lecturers, night viewing session was fantastic (even better if there wasn't as many clouds)
CONS - Lots of content to remember, and the tutorial content while somewhat related to the lecture material didn't really prepare us for any assessments. Also, the tutorials were quite discussion and group work based, and maybe it's just a personal thing but I like neither of those :p.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A

So... you're doing WRIT2002? But plan on doing WRIT1001 at the same time if you were to choose it over PHYS? You don't need WRIT1001 if you do WRIT2002... it's pretty much the same content (only more detailed and boring with speeches and lots of group work every lecture).

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

Oh no. Id do either PHYS1500 or WRIT1001 next semester. Regardless Im thinking of doing WRIT2002 first semester next year.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Is there a suggestion of an ideal subject that is a WAM booster with decent content and no final exam? i.e. the best of both of these?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)