physics, bio or earth? (1 Viewer)

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
sorry for dragging subject selections out for so long. so i want i to do year 11 physics but my school and my parents has recommended me not to do physics since i did not do well for y10 physics and am only alright at maths. However, i do enjoy subject and find it cool how as it basically shows how the world works. So, i was wondering if physics was a "practice makes perfect" subject which i can potentially improve in or do you have to have a certain degree of aptitude and intelligence in order to do well in it?

If i dont decide on physics, I was intending on studying either earth and environmental or biology. Fyi, in terms of science fields that I am interested in pursuing in the future, the only ones that require physics are geophysics and material science. Other science fields im interested in include ecology, earth science and pathology ( i feel like bio and earth related subjects you can study at uni without hs bio/earth knowledge but i feel like like this is not the case for physics). I have also heard that bio is very content heavy but can suit me since i am humanities person, only do physics if you are aiming for engineering and that earth is useless.

So, which of the three sciences do i do?

My other subjects are
Eng Adv
Maths Ext
Chem
Modern
VA
(i was originally planning to do english ext but realised i dont have the motivation for it)

Thanks in advance! :)

libestraumno3

HSC
seeing that you're taking ext maths, it may be beneficial in taking physics as time goes on.

and remember that you could always drop to 10units in y12 so you could decide from there.

you seem more confident and passionate about physics. it's also closely related to what you want to do in the future and you point out a good insight on preliminary knowledge for uni. just saying if you want more calculating do phys, more writing is bio. depends on the workload and studying style you like asw

so personally i'd take physics and see how year 11 goes. you could most definitely improve on the subject with your current attitude.

also on a smaller note, physics is better scaling

all the best!

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
All the best with Year 11 and thank you!

carrotsss

HSC
I found the year 11 physics course pretty interesting, and anecdotally there are swarms of people dropping bio while I don’t know a single person dropping physics at my school. That said, if your school advised against it I’d definitely recommend talking to your teachers more about which areas you lack in and if you are capable of doing physics because ultimately your teachers will know your capabilities better than anyone here.

dasfas

HSC
If you enjoy physics and are motivated to improve, go for it. But be realistic too, if you're failing each class, it's a bad idea. Only you can make the decision - this is your future so don't let some teacher tell you what you can/cannot take. Yes you should take their advice on board, but you're the one sitting the HSC at the end of the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)