physics-chem choice, plz read (1 Viewer)

mraverage

Hay,

I'm new to this forum and site but it seems extremely helpful. Im in yr 11 right now but moving into yr 12 very quickly. I've had to make subject choices recently(which i can still change) but i have a few major problems. Firstly, im doing 14 Units ( yes this seems crazy but i will drop down to 12 Units very soon). I am currently thinking of doing 4 maths, 4 english, 2 physics, 2 chemistry and 2 economics ( very crazy in deed).

My problem is my choice between physics and chemistry, I most likely have to drop one of these. I am average at both, have an average 'enjoyment' of both so its fairly hard for me to drop. Could any former or yr 12 students help me here? are the physics and chem tests based on more explanation or more maths? personal comments?

well thats about all i need to know, if anyone can be bothered to give me some useful websites, information or just personal comments on my subject choices plz do so... fanx

Jellymonsta

an inordinate amount of the physics course is historical / factual written stuff, and the actual bits where you have to calculate things would constitute perhaps a third of the course. this might be good for you... but its silly. im good at talking BS in physics, but i would have preferred it to be numbers oriented and not english oriented.
i dont do chemistry at all, so i cant help you there.
there is good information and links at boredofstudies. read the syllabi (?) for the courses before you choose which to drop. and ask your teachers :p

mraverage

fanx for the reply jellymonster,

well ive looked into the 2001 physics HSC paper and apparently there was more explanation then actual calculation...

is the maths that u do in physics hard? because generally when i get a maths question, i find it tough to find a starting 'attack' point of where to answer the question, im fairly competent at maths though, just sometimes when its realli hard, i cant find an attack point(sounds wierd).

ye i know pyshics is a lotta BS, i always used to do it but recently in exams my teachers have realised this and have started to penalise me for writing things that arent even related...

Jellymonsta

i dont think the maths is too hard - i really enjoy it. i dont know what they cut out of the syllabus, but all the big marks are on the historical/BS questions. i can generally get the majority of marks in most questions (except for the inevitable silly mistakes - resign yourself to them), and most of the time the math type questions gives you a starting point or a clue for what you gotta do.
my teacher told me how i had to BS for physics... so long as i related what i said back to the question, and it wasnt completely off topic, hed give me marks as i would get them according to the HSC marking guidelines. he is a cynical old bastard. the champion.
im not going to do brilliantly in physics (85 ish) but im glad i did it, and it has been really interesting. far more than my other courses (which im better at)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The paper is now only 14% maths ...

If you like experiments do chemisrty
If you like writing do physisics

FYI Here are the topics if you didn't know:

CHEM:
polymers/electrochem/nuclear
acids + bases
monitring and managment (ie pollution)

PHY:
space
motors + generators
history stuff (ideas to implemetation)

OPTIONS:
ask me if you want to know ...

I used to love chem so much and hate physics
Module 3 for chem IMO is very very boring, and so, I don't enjoy chem at all anymore
I would say stick with physics
(even though motors and generators sucks it's better than chem overall)
I wish we were allowed to do six units of biology
Now THAT is something :D

mraverage

fanx for reaplying people,

only 14% maths in pyhsics? where did that figure come from?

i enhoy writing and BSing, the only thing im worried about in pyshics is the maths, although im probably gonna do 4 maths, and im fairly competent in maths, im just worried the maths will be tricky and confusing...

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Dear God...

Please, I strongly urge you to reconsider doing 4 U maths if you're worrying about maths in physics. The maths you do in physics doesn't really go out of simple calculations. And I also believe that you should drop to 3 units of english, because you won't be able to commit yourself to both maths and english, no matter how good you fancy yourself.

As for physics and chem? I do 'em and I love 'em. Do them if you like to think and memorise little.

Bottom line : DROP ECONOMICS!

mraverage

haha im not worried about the maths in pyshics, just worried it is tricky, compared to 4 maths, is it 10 times easier?

chudymaster, could u explain a little on the difference u are finding in physics and chemin yr 12 in terms of say memorising,simplicity, topics or anything else u can think of?

nah i enjoy economics=)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by mraverage

only 14% maths in pyhsics? where did that figure come from?
Heard it somewhere (some BOS publication or something). Can anyone varify it for me?

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Well...

Well I'm at your level (just starting year 12) but I've studied the syllabus and it's content a lot over the holidays and chemistry is leaning more towards memorisation, but when you get down to it, it's so much more fun to learn than physics. Sometimes, the concepts in physics are not obvious and on top of that, complex. You may go for the whole course and still not understand something, simply because the way they've structured the course is stupid. (not to mention the cuts they've made)

And in fact, there is also a lot of maths in chemistry as well, including logarithms and calculations.

But it's the balance that makes it good.

Bottom line : Do chemistry.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
chemistry 2001 HSC paper

6 marks out of 100 were for calculations... but chem is recommended for more Uni courses. depends what you want to study

ps i'd be careful picking those subjects

i started off with something similar

4 maths 4 eng 3 jap 2 chem

and now im down to 3 maths 2 eng 3 jap 2 chem

i dropped maths first, because 4 unit was supposed to "take up too much time" but then i started hating extension english. so dropped that too.. i got pretty far. dropped it in about july/august.. then regretted dropping the 4 maths, and it was too late to pick it up again. so think long and hard
if you wanna do 4 english you have to LOVE english otherwise it doesn't work... you have to be EXCITED about what your major work is about...

mraverage

mmmm ye i understand where everyone is coming from... im sill thinking of doing physics though cause ive asked some past hsc students and they say phsyics is far better if u are doing 3/4 maths cause it helps, i also have a great physics teacher..

ye i think i will start off with 4 eng and maths, see how it goes and drop if needed

Dumbarse

i do 4 maths and the maths in physics and chem is non existence, for real both subjects are shitty memorising and rote learning tables.

doing all those subjects if i were u i'd drop one of the 4 unit either maths or english cause man u will be non stop working and still going shit with that workload unless your an einstein,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)