Physiotherapy Queries (1 Viewer)

_ShiFTy_

HSC
I have decided Civil Engineering will be one of my preferences and i am thinking about Physiotherapy as another. Couple of questions:

1) Assumed knowledge - is chemistry really necessary?

2) Run-down of what is to be taught?

3) Employment opportunities?

jessied

HSC
Hey, I'm a 1st year physio. It's a really interesting course so far but alot of work (you do 7 subjects 1st semester)

1) Chemistry is only necessary for one of the 1st semester subjects "molecules and energy". You can get away with not knowing any chemisty at all but it doen't hurt to know some very basic chem. I did chem until halfway through year 12 and it has helped alot to understand some of the chem concepts in this subject. If your smart enough and willing to work then not doing chemistry in year 12 won't be a big deal

2) 1st year 1st semester subjects are "Functional Anatomy A" (a really interesting subject, deals with bones, muscles, ligamets etc), "Introductory Neuroscience" (very very boring) "Biomechanics A" (physics/3unit maths type stuff, deals with vectors etc), "Motor Performance and Learning" (interesting), "Health Psychology" (interesting, but doesn't have that much relevance to physiotherapy i find), "Molecules and energy" (biochemisty type stuff) and "Designing Health Research" (it speaks for itself)

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask me :)

_ShiFTy_

HSC
Thx for the info. I guess i could just learn some basic chem off my sister (cos she's yr11 chem next year) if i decide to choose physiotherapy as my 1st preference..

Another question:
Would being "physically built up" be some sort of advantage in physiotherapy? When it comes to occupation, is physiotherapy all about massages as its perceived?

jessied

HSC
You wouldn't even need to learn chem off your sister because even though chem is "assumed knowledge" they teach the subject assuming no-one has done chem.

With the being "physically built up" question i'm not sure what you mean here. More than half of the people doing physio this year are girls and we're not that big.

You don't start physiotherapy "techniques" as such until 2nd year, 1st year is mainly science and anatomy. But it's much more than massages.. Have you ever been to a physiotherapist? It may sound like a stupid question, but you've be surprised how many 1st year physios have never been to a physiotherapist.

_ShiFTy_

HSC
I've been to the physiotherapist a few times when i had problems with my back. For a short time i was there, i never really saw much other than that massages and the use of that big heating equipment

What else is involved apart from massages?

mangomousse

HSC
_ShiFTy_ said:
I've been to the physiotherapist a few times when i had problems with my back. For a short time i was there, i never really saw much other than that massages and the use of that big heating equipment

What else is involved apart from massages?
Doing assessments (subjective and objective) and reassessments, prescribing exercises, treatment techniques for strengthening and mobilising muscles and joints...

Skeeta

HSC
just incase you didnt know, physio is not at main campus, its at the health science campus (cumbo - near lidcombe)

yeah i dont really know why i added that but it is a bit of a downer for some people

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hey just wondering, what was the cut off for physio this year at usyd?

jessied

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
hey just wondering, what was the cut off for physio this year at usyd?
It was 95.75 this year. It went up from 94.3 the previous year. The cut-off for next year will probably stay around 95ish but it might rise slightly..

nwa

HSC
i hope it doesnt rise ...its becomin difficult

hey and how much massaging do u get done... if it like a full releaving course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)