Plagiarism. (1 Viewer)

fromsobi

HSC
Do the creative writing and essays go under through some plagiarism test before they're marked by BoS? Would it be viable to buy a narrative, memorize it word for word and then regurgitate it in the exam?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
The marking center is highly pressurised - the markers are required to sift through essays at a very fast rate and they don't have time to check the plagiarism of an essay. I will say this, just because you don't get caught, that doesn't mean it's not plagiarism.

If you use a creative you bought off here or the web, a creative from a state ranker or someone who had something very unique and distinct, your chances of getting caught are increased exponentially. If you bought a creative on here, most likely, others did as well. They may also be thinking of copying that creative, then you're screwed when the markers see a few within a short period of time.

If you're using say, your brothers creative, that he 'quietly' attained 13/15 for, then the chance of you getting caught is minimal provided that others don't have the same creative.

I will also say this, WHY go through the trouble of plagiarizing a creative when it takes one day to write one? In retrospect, what's better? Is it writing a creative on the spot and getting 10/15 or plagiarizing, getting caught and receiving zero?

Last edited:
HSC
You can't just 'regurgitate' a creative writing every time..
The point of the creative writing (in fact every question in English) is to ANSWER THE QUESTION......you may have a writing that uses simple language yet get quite a decent mark...

I learned that the hard way in my trials...

But I will be repeating that mistake in the HSC on Monday...just because I feel lucky...

NFmusic1995

HSC
if you plagerise the chances are that you will get caught (if the essay is like from BOS or bought from someone).

They wil see the patterns, and state rank essays are normally scanned so it isn't copied, so be careful, imagine getting a 0 as well as the humiliation of copying to your friends etc.

kewon

HSC
actually the chances of getting caught are very low. if by some miracle the person who marks your creative also marked the original, how on earth is that person suppose to remember it having been one of the hundreds she looked at 1 year ago...? and ^^^^ obviously patterns will show up since 20000 kids write one every year lol....

that said, plagiarism is bad, you shouldnt do it ^_^

NFmusic1995

HSC
actually the chances of getting caught are very low. if by some miracle the person who marks your creative also marked the original, how on earth is that person suppose to remember it having been one of the hundreds she looked at 1 year ago...? and ^^^^ obviously patterns will show up since 20000 kids write one every year lol....

that said, plagiarism is bad, you shouldnt do it ^_^
Actually, if its an essay form last year, they photocopy exemplers as well as shit essays , and if u bought an essay here or used a friends one, if the marker sees two of the same essays, your gone...

ncoul

HSC
The chances are extremely low. There's an smh article from last year noting that only 28 people got caught for reproducing essays they'd "copied from" online. This is no way specifies whether they were bought or were found from a simple Google search, but you're only really likely to cause suspicion if there's absolutely no engagement with the question/stimulus and you've just regurgitated the piece.

Last edited:

NFmusic1995

HSC
The chances are extremely low. There's an smh article from last year noting that only 28 people got caught for reproducing essays they'd bought online. You're only really likely to cause suspicion if there's absolutely no engagement with the question/stimulus and you've just regurgitated the piece.
wheres the article, http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/number-of-hsc-cheats-on-the-rise-20100326-r31r.html says here all cheating stuff including plagerism was like 700... but yeah true, or if ur just really stupid like a guy at my school and used a creative from the internet that was very popular, and the teacher found out instantly and got a zero, he was top 10 too...

ncoul

HSC
wheres the article, http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/number-of-hsc-cheats-on-the-rise-20100326-r31r.html says here all cheating stuff including plagerism was like 700... but yeah true, or if ur just really stupid like a guy at my school and used a creative from the internet that was very popular, and the teacher found out instantly and got a zero, he was top 10 too...
"28 were found to have supplied a reproduced response, such as memorising an essay from a website and using that in response to an exam question.

The board does not scan exam answers to check for plagiarism as it is usually picked up by markers. But it has other high-tech methods to deter cheats. Last year it introduced tamper-proof packaging and barcodes for papers so they could be tracked."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...-hsc-cheats-20121014-27kyk.html#ixzz2hPQl0u3Z

NFmusic1995

HSC
theres probably 1000s of people that plagerise and 30 people is still some large percentage if you consider getting a 0 in english which has to count towards your atar + the humilation of it all, but i guess people will do it regardless of the warnings :/

kewon

HSC
Actually, if its an essay form last year, they photocopy exemplers as well as shit essays , and if u bought an essay here or used a friends one, if the marker sees two of the same essays, your gone...
they are probably hundreds of people who get 14/15s.... do you really think they would photocopy each one and every marker would go through making sure the one he/she is marking does not match any of the hundred? seeing as 20000 people do it theres a very low chance that a marker would see two same essays. they go through each one in about 5 minutes lol

superSAIyan2

HSC
what if two people just happen to have similar essays? how will they decide if this was due to plagiarism or not. There are only limited points and useful quotes you can get from a text

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
The chances are extremely low. There's an smh article from last year noting that only 28 people got caught for reproducing essays they'd "copied from" online. This is no way specifies whether they were bought or were found from a simple Google search, but you're only really likely to cause suspicion if there's absolutely no engagement with the question/stimulus and you've just regurgitated the piece.
The ratio of those who plagiarized and those who get caught is astronomically small, but lets face it, some kids are misinformed or think they won't get caught so they end up copying the whole piece. The issue with this is, even if I'm a marker going through many papers within a short period of time, you still get that familiar alert when you read a sentence or two that are the same.

Say a kid copied an essay from google. Markers didn't check and didn't care. Then say another individual saw the same essay online and decided to paraphrase the whole thing, bar some identical sentences. The marker will go back to the original essay (I've heard of something similar), find out it's plagiarism, then the individual who paraphrased it will also get caught. Paraphrasing still constitutes plagiarism and they'll receive zero.

NWO

HSC
yes. Dont copy word for word from a band 6 response that u found online. lol. But hey, when they sell a page for 10bucks each lmao. so its like 40 bucks for one essay + shipping fee etc.

NWO

HSC
Lol. In the 2012 exam, thwere was a picture on fishing right? 10k people wrote the same thing about fishing. If ur ideas as similar, that doesnt mean u plargarise. Kids like u and me have similar ideas and think the same lol

NWO

HSC
5 mins. Arent there 2 markers? If one fails ur one badly and so does the other one. gg?

NWO

HSC
Chance is so slim lol. like they said its 1/100 000 chance of getting caught. plus the time limit that each takes 5 min to mark it. so its like 1/200 000. I have a higher chance of winning the lottery i would say

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Do not cheat... by cheating, you are only lieing to yourself. It isn't a true reflection of your own ability. Furthurmore, if the other person is accused of "cheating" when you just copied him, it will be unfair.

chykovski

HSC
Say a kid copied an essay from google. Markers didn't check and didn't care. Then say another individual saw the same essay online and decided to paraphrase the whole thing, bar some identical sentences. The marker will go back to the original essay (I've heard of something similar), find out it's plagiarism, then the individual who paraphrased it will also get caught. Paraphrasing still constitutes plagiarism and they'll receive zero.
For creatives, what if two students display similar ideas, worded very differently. For example, story both begins with a birthday party, then flashback occurs. Is this plagiarism?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)