playing sport at unsw (1 Viewer)

redd

HSC
N/A
i want to play rugby for UNSW but the schedule is quite crazy with 1 game , 1 social event and 2 training sessions every week and this also stretches through to STUVAC and also during the exams. Plus im also part of other societies and stuff in which im sure there will be regular commitments.

Im just wondering who here manages sporting and social obligations whilst able to maintain excellent marks. ANd perhaps give me some advice on how to manage my time.

Oh and finally, do coaches understand that full time students may miss out training sessions and games during hectic times, especailly during stuvac and the exams? Or is missing games heavily frowned upon.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I've been playing volleyball since high school and I've followed through in uni as well, quite abit of time helping run the club. I do volunteer work as well with St John Ambulance (but not with UNSW division) when I have spare time, and this session I'll be doing part time uni with full time work and those things. So yeh its absolutely doable if you use your time wisely...

Most of the time you know well in advance when a competition is coming up (eg uni games etc) and you can plan ahead and get your work done beforehand.

I think other things like missing training and games will really depend on the coach and the culture of the club.

redd

HSC
N/A
sunny said:
I've been playing volleyball since high school and I've followed through in uni as well, quite abit of time helping run the club. I do volunteer work as well with St John Ambulance (but not with UNSW division) when I have spare time, and this session I'll be doing part time uni with full time work and those things. So yeh its absolutely doable if you use your time wisely...

Most of the time you know well in advance when a competition is coming up (eg uni games etc) and you can plan ahead and get your work done beforehand.

I think other things like missing training and games will really depend on the coach and the culture of the club.
one major concern is that there are games during stuvac and the examination period, with some of them being quite important games. That is right now possibly my greatest concern. Will i get enough time to study for the exams?

and also what happens if you get injured (quite likely in rugby). do u still sit the exams and will there be a retest. and usually are retests harder than the original?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
I joined the Basketball Club. But my hand won't be healed by the time of the tryouts, which i think is in 2 weeks time. Sooo i'll have to see if there's an alternative way in. =/

HSC
not playing for state league, ive played in rep teams before they take the game waaaaayyyyyyy seriously (crying over lost goals etc.)

sunny

meh.
HSC
redd said:
Will i get enough time to study for the exams?
You know exactly when your exams are months in advanced. Theres always enough time if you use your time wisely (ie, not cram everything during stuvac)

redd said:
and also what happens if you get injured (quite likely in rugby). do u still sit the exams and will there be a retest. and usually are retests harder than the original?
This depends from subject to subject. Of course if you are genuinely injured and can't sit the original then you can apply for a supplementary test if you miss the original. But for things like playing a social game wouldn't be a good enough reason. I've sat supp exams though because they clashed with uni games - the lecturer said thats a good enough reason because it was "official" university representation.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Yeah, that happened to me as well (sort of, i didn't register as early as you) - i'm not sure how much of it is management and how much is the demand for places at the club has outstripped the number of teams the eastern suburbs comp is willing to allow them, so the teams they did get filled up much earlier. the impression i got from the registrar at the time was that 6 a side is unlikely because they couldn't find anyone to run it (at the time, in mid march)

vern

HSC
There's an indoor soccer team next semester as far as I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)