Please help, PDHPE HSC EXAM MARK!!! (1 Viewer)

miss_sporty

HSC
Hi, I am confused.. I got 90 in my hsc exam for pdhpe and my school assessment mark that my teacher sent into bos was 91 (my teacher told me today) and I was ranked 2nd in my class for PDHPE but I ended up with 88 as my assessment mark which meant my overall mark was 89 :( please explain???

Silly Sausage

HSC
Internal moderation probably meant that your school marks were marked down based on how your cohort performed in the externals.

Lilizzy1939

HSC
I know how you feel, my internal mark for CAFS (which my teacher told me) was 94. My exam mark was 86. So I was expecting to get a band 6 but ended up with an assessment mark of 86. Urghh so frustrating!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The marks entered by your teacher are then taken and used for the moderation process. The only thing that matters is your rank and the relative difference between ranks.

Then your assessment mark is moderated to reflect this. As a result the effort you put in this whole past year of year 12 makes up your moderated assessment mark.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Fair enough, I was ranked first though?
You said it yourself here:

I know how you feel, my internal mark for CAFS (which my teacher told me) was 94. My exam mark was 86. So I was expecting to get a band 6 but ended up with an assessment mark of 86. Urghh so frustrating!
You were first. First place ranked always gets their moderated assessment mark to be the highest exam mark of their cohort.

The highest exam mark in your cohort was 86. As a result this was your moderated assessment mark as well. So your HSC mark was 86.

miss_sporty

HSC
So my assessment mark was brought down because my cohort didn't perform that well?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So my assessment mark was brought down because my cohort didn't perform that well?
If you wanted to look at it that way then you could say you didn't perform as well as you wanted to.

Your cohort did not affect you at all here as you got the highest exam mark and you were ranked first.

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
If you finished first unfortunately you have no one to blame but yourself. It sounds like your teachers were pretty lenient with there marking over the past year

miss_sporty

HSC
If you actually read my post you would see that I came second in PDHPE and I was wondering why my assessment mark of 91 was brought down to 88 when I got 90 for my HSC examination.. p.s. my teacher is a head HSC marker for PDHPE so he wasn't in the slightest bit lenient

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you actually read my post you would see that I came second in PDHPE and I was wondering why my assessment mark of 91 was brought down to 88 when I got 90 for my HSC examination.. p.s. my teacher is a head HSC marker for PDHPE so he wasn't in the slightest bit lenient
Sorry there's two different situations in here and I got really confused then and replied to a different situation (my bad).

First of all, the mark of 91 means absolutely nothing relatively. It could still lead to a moderated assessment mark of 20 or 100. As I said before, all that matters is your rank and the difference between ranks.

What that means is that there was a smaller difference between your exam mark and the exam mark of the person who came first in relative terms compared to the difference between your exam mark and the people ranked below you. Hence it was more appropriate for you to end up with a slightly lower assessment mark.

So yes as you said before, the reason why this happened is because your cohort did not perform too well. If the person ranked above you did slightly better, and the people below you did much better, then you most likely would have received a moderated assessment mark that is higher than what you did end up receiving in the end.

miss_sporty

HSC
Thanks, your explanation although slightly disappointing makes perfect sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)