plotting the bloody TRAJECTORY of a satellite... (1 Viewer)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
that's what i drew, roughly.
does anyone know for sure that they are right?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
kunny funt said:
That's the same as what I did, although I'm not too sure if it's right.

superbird

HSC
same. tho i didnt draw the trajectory all the way to mars cos i wasnt sure. instead i just drew it from the north pole to the left with an arrow pointed towards mars

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
They wanted you to plot the planets 6 months later. So earth would be on the other side of the sun, and Mars would be, at that time, closest to the earth. Mars has a head start in from of Earth in the diagram, but its orbit radius is larger, so its orbital velocity will be slower than Earth, allowing Earth to get closer to Mars in 6 months.

Earth spins in a West-->East rotation, so I drew the trajectory to start from the dark side of the earth (where the sun isn't illuminating) and semi-slingshot across to Mars. Spent a minute on that question.

Last edited:

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
Komaticom said:
They wanted you to plot the planets 6 months later. So earth would be on the other side of the sun, and Mars would be, at that time, closest to the earth.
How did u know that Mars would be closest to Earth at that time?

superbird

HSC
i reckon the board would accept a wide range of answers. so long as earth is opposite its original position and mars is behind it in terms of orbit.
as for marking the trajectory i think they were just looking for it being marked from the eastly direction of earth. i dont think u will lose marks if u didnt join it all the way to mars??

S

Shuter

kunny funt said:
The trajectory doesn't curve in space, I'll tell you that. They try to take the shortest path, in a strait line.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
kunny funt said:
How did u know that Mars would be closest to Earth at that time?
That's how I drew it. Mars' orbital velocity is slower than Earth's. In 6 months, Mars' position will not be on the opposite side of the sun, so I just guessed that i'll be next to to the Earth.

I drew my trajectory as a mild curve. Shit.

Jase

HSC
it is a curve, since it's also under the effect of the sun's gravity, it's gonna have alot of trouble travelling in a straight line. In fact, the sattellite should be in an elliptical orbit with the sun at one focus to get to mars.

lucyinthehole

wasn't it 5 months? like.. the end of june to beginning of december or something? i remember counting in the exam and getting a bot over 5 months..... so i drew the earth a bit to the right of being completely opposite itself

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Sames, I think there was about 15 days difference or something.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
Jase said:
it is a curve, since it's also under the effect of the sun's gravity, it's gonna have alot of trouble travelling in a straight line. In fact, the sattellite should be in an elliptical orbit with the sun at one focus to get to mars.

I agree with that.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I repped him for his post.

Also with the less-than-6-month period, they asked for the approximate position, they're not going to scrutinise whether your circle/oval/squiggle drawing of the Earth is a tad right of the 6-month position. If they do then they're assholes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)