Politics goes to church at Hillsong (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Hahah I saw that. Also did anyone see how they got John Howard in to speak at their 'big complex' (on sunday i think).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Those people in the bible belt are some of the howard government's core voters.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Politicians aren't people. They shouldn't be allowed to have apsirations, beliefs, hopes, dreams and desires. Furthermore, it's disgusting that people can freely practice their religion in Australia, what we need are politicians who'll come down heavily on organised religion and freedom of association.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah, quite a few hillsong members are genuinely nice, decent people.

however, i find it irritating that politicians pay attention to this particular bunch just because of their wealth, success and the huge influence of their leader (Houston).

i suppose they're expecting a 'blessing' at the polls ;)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
chookyn said:
yeah, quite a few hillsong members are genuinely nice, decent people.
So are 9/10 nutritionalists.

however, i find it irritating that politicians pay attention to this particular bunch just because of their wealth, success and the huge influence of their leader (Houston).
I repeat, politicians are people. Did you ever think that some of them may be Christians, and god forbid interested in Hillsong?

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
neo_o said:
Politicians aren't people. They shouldn't be allowed to have apsirations, beliefs, hopes, dreams and desires. Furthermore, it's disgusting that people can freely practice their religion in Australia, what we need are politicians who'll come down heavily on organised religion and freedom of association.
lol! Point taken.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Brian isnt used to harsh questioning. As was mentioned in last weeks SMH.

The brand of christianity sold at Hillsong goes quite nicely with the Howard government. For many it is rather distasteful that religion can be commodofied and so clearly sold. Lowering was religion to the same level as selling bake beans and other consumables.

To me Brian is nothing more than a screeching banchee who tells people that its ok to be Greendy. The people that go there would be voting Liberal already.
Exactly, Mitchell was in Cadman's very safe hands for a long time before these evangelicals started popping up.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
It's a sad thing that our politicians are willing to pander to these people. Surely, the better party is the one that refuses to associate itself with them in the name of maintaining some dignity for the party. But winning their support is a vital thing for politicians it appears. Personally, I would be ashamed to be apart of a party that took the time to cater for these religious extremists.

Obviously it is necessary for politicains to win support for their party, but surely there remains the smallest level of honour which prevents us, the party stalwarts and our elected politicians, from associating ourselves with the religious extreme?

Shocked I was, upon reading that even Labor was sending two envoys to garner support.

Does Labor really have a chance of winning even small sections of the extreme religious sort over? Pell has expressed concern over the new IR reforms and their potential to disrupt the family unit for the worse- perhaps Labor can link itself to this sort of thought?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
leetom said:
Personally, I would be ashamed to be apart of a party that took the time to cater for these religious extremists.
Christians are part of the electorate too!

Shocked I was, upon reading that even Labor was sending two envoys to garner support.
There was a picture of Bob Carr giving a speech with the Houston bloke in todays SMH.

leetom

HSC
Christians are part of the electorate too!
I know :)

I'm just annoyed that the Libs have a stranglehold on their voting preferences.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
leetom said:
I know :)

I'm just annoyed that the Libs have a stranglehold on their voting preferences.

WTF???? Why should it annoy you that certain relgious groups vote a certain way.

Moreover, it's generally christains of Sydney's bible belt they have a 'strangle hold' over, I know many christains who vote labour.

leetom

HSC
it annoys me because of their significant influence.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Where the Coalition has a hold on the Evangelist vote, I'd remind leetom that Labor and parties left of them have the same kind of influence upon the university population.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
leetom said:
it annoys me because of their significant influence.
Live with it sunshine, certain groups will vote certain ways. Political parties will appeal to certain groups of similar thought, it's how politics works.

leetom

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Live with it sunshine, certain groups will vote certain ways. Political parties will appeal to certain groups of similar thought, it's how politics works.
I have already stated that I realise that, but I was raising the moral dimlemma facing the party intellectual- whether one should readily welcome distasteful people into one's party in the name of gaining their vote. For the Coalition, the distasteful people exist in the form of Evangelists while for Labor, as withoutaface has said...
Where the Coalition has a hold on the Evangelist vote, I'd remind leetom that Labor and parties left of them have the same kind of influence upon the university population.
...draws distasteful types from elements of the extreme left.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
One thing i relaly hate aobut them is that they run religion like an organisation, and make heeps of money off it AND dont pay tax coz of their "religious" status. They have like buildings, run parking lots and make alot of money of property and such activities and aviod tax ... then (im not sure) dont they take like 10-15% of ur earnings? Its abusing the religion for financial gain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)