Pompeii Q- modern methods and technologies (1 Viewer)

JuliaT

HSC
ok, i don't know about all you lot, but i seriously disliked this question. if i had children, i definately wouldn't let my kids go play over at this question's kid's house- it was totally bad news.

did every one besides me know all about these supposed multiple fancy technologies to talk about? i read most/all of the popular textbooks, and i didn't come across NASA tech and whatever else there was.

i just ended up waffling about all the other generic methods archeologists used, analysing graffitti, writing, street plans, artwork, with a little technology with medical analysis of human remains, but only basic stuff like finding out gender, age and standard of health. i didn't even know the specific technology they used. i was like 'um, chemical... testing... and stuff..." i'm sure i sounded like an idiot.

and then when i get out, i bitched to the smart guy in our class, and he was like "oh, i just talked about this, this, this, this and this" and i felt really awkward for not knowing what the hell he was going on about.

what's your story/ies with this question? am i really the only one who found it totally bewildering?

AngelznDemonz

HSC
i would have found it really bewildering..if i didn't go over that the nite b4! I still think i was a bit general..but i used that Wilamena Jashmenski chick from Pompeii ..with her casts of plant roots..discovering the trees and small vineyeard..blah blah
Jaye Pont- anlaysis of redslipware pottery (only knew this cos i went 2 europe in april)
Bisel ect etc....and resin casts..it was all over the shop really..good luck 2 the markers !! lol

Danm999

HSC
Remember which subject your doing. History. If you didn't give a comprehensive walkthrough on the new technologies of the past few decades, relax.

All they were looking for is that you relate some things we've learnt about the lives of Pompeiians and Herculaneuns from new technology such as:

-the average age (much older than we originally thought)
-what diets were look (looking at teeth, most teeth were ground because of hard bread)
-what jobs people might have had, or their status (ie, strong upper bodies, crushed pelvis bones means mother or perhaps prostitute)
-diseases seen in bones

Mention modern dentistry, x rays and studies of bones, as well as the cat scan in the source, and your set.

atreus

HSC
i referred to bisel and lzer, and their bones analysis, but the question asked for new research as well, so i talked about wallace-hadrill's brothel theory, that the pompeiians werent as sexually liberated as once thought, i.e. sex wasnt a huge part of everyday life due to w-h's research.

Royalist

HSC
I actually destroyed this question, i talked about the following:
Pompeii:
E.de.Carolis & G.Patricelli - relation of bodies to determine time/cause of death
First/Second Phase - Buildup of pumice and Thermal shock
Related it to the Source - 'pugliest pose' due to shock
Sumiyo Tsujimura - Analysis of wheel ruts in roads to understand traffic flow
Via dell'Abbondanza - deep ruts suggest processions and
ceremonies, also spatial postioning near forum.

I also talked about Jaye Pont and her analysis of red slip pottery to determine trade in Pompeii.

In Herculaneum i talked about Wilhelmina Jashemski (pollen analysis, cavaties)
and also Peter Kunihelm and his use of dendrochronology to analyse time and date of furniture and wooden makings in Herculaneum.

I had alot of evidence on each new method and technology and related them to how they all give a greater understanding of everyday life in Pompeii & Herculaneum

gracerawl88

HSC
i loved this question, so easy!
theres been heaps of documentaries and things on tv lately to do with this. one ep of beyond tomoro showed the NASA laser technologies, and MRI scans are pretty much basic knowledge these days. thing on vesuvius on the abc last week showed things to do with the plaster casts.

new technologies could have also meant what technologies fiorelli brought like the mapping and planning, plaster casts, but also dr bisel and the bone studies and such.
most of it is common knowledge anyway, with most technologies being used in other excavation sites around the world...
so much to talk about!!

BellaR

HSC
Holy frick, this was my worst question in the whole of P&H (my worst section in Trials). I had NO IDEA what to say. I basically built my whole answer around Bisel and Lazer bone analysis and linked that to conclusions about age, occupation, diet and health.

The problem with the question for me was linking it to EVERYDAY life. Not just general shit about P&H society, like trade. What were we supposed to use as evidence for things like routine?

Wish I had talked about Via del Abbondanza -- would have yielded some great stuff about transport.

gracerawl88

HSC
BellaR said:
I basically built my whole answer around Bisel and Lazer bone analysis and linked that to conclusions about age, occupation, diet and health.

The problem with the question for me was linking it to EVERYDAY life. Not just general shit about P&H society, like trade. What were we supposed to use as evidence for things like routine?
with the thing bout Bisel and Lazer, you could have linked that to how Bisel linked the woman with bones with marks indicting hard work with lifting and knitting and sewing etc. this can show everyday life...

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
I included all the things u guys talked about, but left out Wilhem.... because obviously, i couldn't be bothered trying to spell her name. I also included the Philodemus project where theyre trying to decipher the papri from the Villa of the Papyri with infra-red cameras, and the Neapolis project (although i didnt mention it by name because i forgot) where theyre trying to make a database of all the info on the net.

blind_cat

HSC
i thought this question was relatively easy. I included the deciphering of papryi with infra red and computer enhancement and the philodemus project. I also discussed jashemski and charred remains and pollen studies. the bone remains which brought in the given source very well with reference with owrk from lazer and sara bisel and causes of death One thing i'm pissed off is i dodn't used any of my knowledge from the archeologists when i could of. but oher than that, the question was kinda expected, our teacher had a good idea what the question was going to be and he hit it spot on. Thanx Stormy

blind_cat

HSC
i thought this question was relatively easy. I included the deciphering of papryi with infra red and computer enhancement and the philodemus project. I also discussed jashemski and charred remains and pollen studies. the bone remains which brought in the given source very well with reference with owrk from lazer and sara bisel and causes of death One thing i'm pissed off is i dodn't used any of my knowledge from the archeologists like fiorelli, mau, mauiri, spinzorella when i could of. but oher than that, the question was kinda expected, our teacher had a good idea what the question was going to be and he hit it spot on. Thanx Stormy

p342i

HSC
You know, I think this question is so broad that the markers are not going to be looking at who can cover the greatest amount of content, rather that people simply choose new research methods and technologies, and simply focus on how they have contributed to our understanding.

I went into detail largely on skeltal analysis.
I taked about Dr Sarah Bisel who conduced the bone analysis of the skeltons found in the Bay of Herculaneum. I mentioned the areas she considered:
- femur length to determine height
- pelvic bone to determine gender
- spinal cord to determine presence of manual labour
- cranium to determine facial appeareance and ethnicity
- quality of bone marrow to detemine level of nourishment
- condition of teeth to detemine level of dental care and diet

I said this new research method of skeletal analysis (the new research method bit) was facilitated by the adaptation of modern technologies such as medical imaginging apparatus (MRI, CTU etc) into the field of archaeology (new technology bit).

From this I said she conduded that Herculaneum was a cosmospolitan town which had a declining birth rate due to the practice of contraception and abortion. Also due to the presence of sterility caused by the use of lead piping in the water supply. Therefore these conclusions constitute the (how our understanding has been enhanced... bit)

Quite simple really.

I reinforced this with the work of Dr Estel Lazer (whom I had the pleasure of meeting) who conducted a similar study on the skeltons of Pompeii. Her contribution was in defusing the myth that those who died in Vesuvius were the old, young, women, children and the infirm - as peoples of all ages, genders and level of health were represented across the victims. This also suggests that there may have been time for a mass exodus from Pompeii, but not Herculaneum.

I think that focusing on a specific area is the way to go, so if you didnt mention much in the breath of your argument, dont be worried. The answers will be so diverse that anything will go : )

urgay

HSC
your all obsessive
we didnt do technologies once. i just alkd aboutmauri spinanzola and dtuff and briefly said estell and sara do like forenzic shit and talkd about hte ct scan of the lady of oplontis.. will i get any marks

sma

HSC
Did anyone find that Bisel and Lazer had conflicting results?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)