Poor wording in this exam? (1 Viewer)

7th Sign

HSC
did any one think the wording of a few MC questions was a bit shit? No offence to BOS but it looks liek this exam was put together by some one who was new to the IPT course like a 1st year out ipt teacher? Any one else think the same?

ddtng

HSC
agree

looked more like a year 10 computer test

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
examples?

i do agree though...some of them caused me a little confusion, but i sussed everything out in the reading time so i did the MC in about 10 minutes as opposed to the reccommended 40.

ddtng

HSC
question 13 doesnt state whether it wants an answer that would allow or deny an entry of booking. (the answer is probably both C and D)

what i meant was that the questions werent too specific, and that some of the questions were waaaay to general. if i had a little brother or sister, they'd be able to do these

7th Sign

HSC
yeah it was like year 10 computer studies all over aggain :rolleyes:

helenpoo

HSC
I have this huge aversion to IPT due to the wording in textbooks as well as exams such as today's. I like my questions clear. Like evaluate: 2+2.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst the test seemed easy I could see plenty of places to namedrop and demonstrate that you can apply the theory you learnt from the books to practical situations and scenarios. There wasn't any of that easy BS data dictionary but you had to show you understood relational databases rather than what they were.

As for year10 computing studies... We used to get nice Q's like "Which of these is not a search engine?" (and the answer was usually Hotmail) and in short responses, the number of lines you wrote directly correlated to the number of marks you got. Sounds unfair right? Well everyone knew the marking criteria beforehand- it's their fault for choosing not to follow it (or write larger).

piptech

HSC
Question 13 is clear enough. It says "... the most appropriate range check to PREVENT the entry"

So

c) Booking_Date + 14 > = Departure_Date
d) Booking_Date + 14 < = Departure_Date

By choosing C as the answer, you are Preventing an error to occur. Choose D and you're allowing the field to accept a date under 14 days (which is wrong). I still don't get it why ppl choose D.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But then, a "range check" means what data is acceptable in the field- ie. Range check is NOT used to find data which doesn't satisfy a criteria. So therefore D means that the Booking_Date + 14 MUST be less than Departure_Date for it to be considered valid input and thus prevents entries without the 14 day gap.

Although I can see the ambiguity in the question which confuses other people. Maybe it'll end up being one of the questions where BoS gives marks out for both C or D.

7th Sign

HSC
yeah i stuffed that sql shit...bos will give them for c and d...check past papers they have like a,b,c as answers in some lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
7th Sign- I was wondering that too... I read through some past papers (imo the best way to study!) and whilst it seemed to make sense that in some Q's there was more than one correct answer, we mustn't forget that those weren't the official answers- just the answers which the authors thought were correct.... but judging by their super long extended responses to most of the Q's, there's a pretty good chance they're correct.

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
7th Sign said:
did any one think the wording of a few MC questions was a bit shit? No offence to BOS but it looks liek this exam was put together by some one who was new to the IPT course like a 1st year out ipt teacher? Any one else think the same?
...why no offence, i couldnt care if i offended any of them.

steelite

HSC
Yep, some questions like Q6 and 13 were extremely poorly worded. The past year papers MC were so much more better and more straightforward

7th Sign

HSC
bos have to remember this is peoples lives their messing with, to think that they didnt even proof read the test for mistake? Did they even look at past papers to form this test? obviosuly a munkey on a computer has formed it and picked random shit....

lil_nat_cat

HSC
Yea, i got really confused by the wording of some of those Q's......... i was like @_@"""""

Much harder than the past papers i've done...

Srixon

HSC
When u go onto the BOS website and do the practice multiple choice answers you can see what answer was correct and in some there are 2 and also u see in some that a higher percentage in some questions for like band 6 have chosen one of the other answer which that answer is also chose the most in other bands

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)