Popular Bookshops in Sydney (1 Viewer)

d0nkeyk0ng

Banned
HSC
Besides Dymocks, can someone name me a popular bookshop in Sydney please?
And can you also provide me the link to its official website if it does have one?
Thanks!

Note: Angus and Robertson isn't popular anymore.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
By "popular" do you mean big, or a chain that has lots of stores? QBD books has a few stores around but i wouldn't call it popular or that good, definitely the biggest is Kinokuniya in the city but there is only the one of them in Sydney.

Aysce

HSC
By "popular" do you mean big, or a chain that has lots of stores? QBD books has a few stores around but i wouldn't call it popular or that good, definitely the biggest is Kinokuniya in the city but there is only the one of them in Sydney.
Kinokuniya is the only one I can think of. I absolutely love that book store!

d0nkeyk0ng

Banned
HSC
I meant the chain has lots of stores.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Basement Books @ Central

Books for a steal. Unless you are after textbooks which they don't have.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Basement Books @ Central

Lol i walk past this place pretty much every day! For (uni) textbooks you'll find it is waaaay cheaper to buy them online from overseas, theres often slight variances in titles, covers and maybe a bit of content but they are largely the same and often less than half the price. Just be careful and try and avoid soft covers, an 800 page textbook without a hard cover is a tad unwieldy... But at $100 saving and knowing it was just for home i decided it was worth it. Was a good decision since i rarely used it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Lol i walk past this place pretty much every day! For (uni) textbooks you'll find it is waaaay cheaper to buy them online from overseas, theres often slight variances in titles, covers and maybe a bit of content but they are largely the same and often less than half the price. Just be careful and try and avoid soft covers, an 800 page textbook without a hard cover is a tad unwieldy... But at $100 saving and knowing it was just for home i decided it was worth it. Was a good decision since i rarely used it.
Go figure it's near UTS. In the subway :p

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Go figure it's near UTS. In the subway :p
Haha yeah, it's actually a bit of an odd location if you think about it but lots of people going past it every day. I've only actually been in there once though. Didn't realise it was a complete bookshop until then.

RG11

HSC
what would be the best store to buy textbooks? (preferably cheap)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If online is out of the question and so is your unis second hand textbook shop the only option you really have is the Coop Bookshop. It's not cheap compared to getting imports, but they are very competitively priced once you are a member and have everything you would need.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, Augus and Robertson is now defunct.

The two that I can think of is Kinokuniya and Basement Books at the City.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Kinokuniya is the only one I can think of. I absolutely love that book store!
My favourite physical book store in all of Sydney. However I rarely buy, I merely browse and write down the details of books I like and go home and buy them online much much cheaper.

Basement Books @ Central

Have terrible variety/range.

Use this every day.

more of an online thing but apparently http://www.bookdepository.co.uk is good
I buy 99% of new books from here as they are usually the cheapest, they are reliable AND they have the fastest shipping i.e. usually within 5 business days (3x faster than buying books from Australian online shops).

Check out booko for cheapest new (they have a used search however it doesn't cover all used bookshops); also try thriftbooks.com (they have a section dedicated to textbooks).

Source: I am an obsessive book buyer with over 2000 books in my home library.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)