Possible vaccine for Cancer and HIV! (1 Viewer)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I wouldn't hold your breath people but it is about time we stop the AIDS virus, I'm so glad and have lost many friends and family friends to this and I hope it can save Africa.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lol, vaccine? It's impossible to have a cancer vaccine becaue it's not an infectious disease. The only way for a potential cancer vaccine is genetically modified T-Cells that target possible cancerous DNA strands. (considering everyone has these potential points in which cancerous DNA strands can occur.) Basically though, the only way to prevent replication of the cancerous cell is to destroy it, with modified T-Lymphocyte Cells specifically made to target the cancerous cells. It's still dangerous but destroys any chance of these cells reoccuring.

HVI? Lol, finally.

john31459

HSC
N/A
Thanks Sherlock. But in relation to cancer, if you read the article, it's actually talking about the possibility of using a vaccine as a treatment (ie instead of chemo)...

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
sam04u said:
Basically though, the only way to prevent replication of the cancerous cell is to destroy it, with modified T-Lymphocyte Cells specifically made to target the cancerous cells. It's still dangerous but destroys any chance of these cells reoccuring.
Given that they're making use of a virus in their delivery system I suspect that they might be using the viruses to carry engineered protein/DNA strands for delivery into target cells, in which case modifying T-cells so that they recognise/destroy cancerous cells could be on the cards. One proposed therapy I heard of a couple months ago makes use of a virus which only enters dividing cells (you inject the viruses at the site of cancer and most of them enter cancer cells given their rapid division) and the DNA they insert causes a certain protein to be expressed on the surface of those cells. A little later the patient could be given a drug which targets these surface proteins, effectively sending a message saying 'die' to the cell. Voila, cancer cells killed (though probably not without taking out some other cell types as well... blood cells in particular, including immune cells, since they multiply so quickly). In any case, a lot of this stuff is still either theoretical or experimental but the ideas are certainly fascinating.

Last edited:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
There are times when I look above and beyond, there are times when I feel you smile upon me, baby, I'll never forget my baby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)