Powerplay qn (1 Viewer)

EXA BOY

What the hell was it actually on about??? i sat there for a few mins trying to figure out exactly what it was asking, How has ur understanding of events, personalities or situations??? i ended up virtually writing my pre prepared essay which kinda fitted into events and situations...... soo ahhhhh yeah anyone else not know exactly what it was asking???

fillstar

HSC
im just as confused as you are...

i done the indepedant 2002 Q on power play and it was kinda simliar in a way so i adapted it and wrote out basically my practice essay...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Well I dont do powerplay, I do frontline but we had the same question.

When I first read the question, I was like what do they want me to write? So I just wrote out my memorised essay, and I hope it will be all good :)
I didn't reall ywrite about personalities, events or situations, rather just how the truth shaped some stories etc.

lizzies85

it was about the representation and text part of the study... i did 1984, and it was a political statement against stalin, well that's the way I took the question as being, maybe i was completely wrong

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I had no idea what that question was asking. I took it as the possible situation that could occur in the future if governments get too powerful, and then put some stuff in on communism, nazism, dictatorism and other ism's. (hmmm not sure if dictatorism is a word) oh well ENGLISH IS OVER!!!! :D:D:D

Originally posted by EXA BOY
What the hell was it actually on about??? i sat there for a few mins trying to figure out exactly what it was asking, How has ur understanding of events, personalities or situations??? i ended up virtually writing my pre prepared essay which kinda fitted into events and situations...... soo ahhhhh yeah anyone else not know exactly what it was asking???
with ya bro - i wasnt sure so i just wrote my prepared response and linked what the techniques told me about politics to understanding events, personalities and situations

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Powerplay qn

Originally posted by freestyler__54

with ya bro - i wasnt sure so i just wrote my prepared response and linked what the techniques told me about politics to understanding events, personalities and situations
Yeah count me in as well on that one :D

I just did situations though.

kaseita

I was a little confused, but then I just wrote about representation and text, and how events, personalities or situations were depicted by the representation, and the composer.
It was pretty cool though, cause my eng teacher actually told us to answer the module just like that question asked, for any question they asked us - the influence of the representation on the reader.

I wrote an into covering the question, put my practice essay and conclusion re-stating the into
did you guys use three related texts?
it said "at least TWO related texts" which usually means three

linny

Im such an idiot i completely skipped over the words "events, personalities or situations" so my response said how my texts ( Caesar, the crucible and My last Dutchess) shaped my perseption of powerplay,
what do you reckon ?

ps i think 3 texts in powerplay is way too much, but what did other people do ?

kaseita

well if you talked about specific events in those texts, to support how they affected your perception, should be ok
I used 2 extras, and kinda vaguely referred to 2 others. Like one sentence :p.

Dario

HSC
I linked the question to the parts of the elective statement that said "nature of politics" and "extent to which power resides with the people." They were the two themes I discussed throughout. I'm glad our English teacher said to have a good understanding of the elective statements because all of the questions suited being directed in any way you wanted them to be.

Killah33

Here we go...

Techniques used in Representing Political Powerplay:

1. Characterisation

The depiction of Winston as a victim of an enormous power, makes one empathise with him (1984).
--> Note: The most important thing here is the creation of characters, not as a means of being good 'characters', but who are interesting chiefly in conveying a socio-political ideal.

2. Responder Positioning

Positioning us to focus on this hyper-conscious character enables Orwell to make us feel for his 'human' cause

3. Setting

By creating a 'bleak' setting, Orwell depicts the futility of the monoply that the Party has over economics, politics and even lifestyle for the powerless

4. Depiction of the Extent of the Power

I.e. What do those in power have the ability to do over the people, why an idiocratic regime needs conformity, how much power lies with the people through the representation of the control that the Party has over them.

Hope this helps those who are wondering what kind of representation techniques they should have focused on... any other suggestions?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thats pretty good killah
i also talked about symbolism in 1984, such as the proles, thought police, BB etc, and how these representations created a powerplay situation

I mainly focused on events and situations, rather than personalities

schwang_thang

Originally posted by linny
Im such an idiot i completely skipped over the words "events, personalities or situations" so my response said how my texts ( Caesar, the crucible and My last Dutchess) shaped my perseption of powerplay,
what do you reckon ?

ps i think 3 texts in powerplay is way too much, but what did other people do ?
yups thats wat i did, i didn't know how 2 fit everything in2 the 'events...yada yada' bit so i just wrote abt nature of powerplay n stuff

problem w. my qstn was that it sounded 2 fragmented, i had bloody 6 or 7 themes n 3 related materials that i wanted 2 talk abt (ure right linny, 3 is 2 many) n yeah...my essay just ended up choppy

Raider

lol, i just wrote by easy, about machiavellian principles behind power, and that no1 is wise enuff to be trusted with unlimited power, and then added in stuff like, this text shows that when sum1 is in a "situation" to acheive power, they will do anything to get it, lol i had no idea : /

Fradam

Tall man
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
I mainly focused on events and situations, rather than personalities
I tried to get the personalities bit in too with a bit of discussion on the nautre of their rebellion as shaped by Winston's and Julia's respective attitudes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)