• 2-3 hours

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 12 8.1%

• Total voters

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
How long do you practice for a day? I probably go 2-3 hours usually, less if homework, more if i can.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Any practice over 10 minutes is useless, in my opinion. So doing 30 10 minute practises a day is good.

aimstar555

HSC
i practice @ least 2 hours a day: 1 hour to go over what was done durin the lesson/s and the another to work on specific pieces/ne thing else. i do extra prac if a performance is comin up or watever...peace out :)

spiny norman

HSC
I'd be aiming for half an hour a day, personally? Seeing all these options bothers me, considering I would consider myself fairly slack on achieving that daily thirty minutes.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Okay...I answered as if averaging out the instruments per instrument (1-2 hours). Basically, I try to get 2 hours piano, but I'm a bit of a bum so I'll only do between half to an hour of violin per day (when you average this all out; I don't practise my violin every day because I'm lazy)...and for vocals it's probably better to ask me how much of my waking hours are not spent practising my vocals :p even though most of the time it's not important stuff...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Some of my colleagues practice up to six hours a day, and they're only progressingly slightly faster than those of us who practice 10 minutes a day. I now play at about LMus level, beyond that even - and I haven't done any more than 10 minutes practice a day since 1999. I practice a piece for 10 minutes a day for a few days, leave it and come back weeks later, and I can find the piece is much easier to play than it was before.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Phanatical said:
Some of my colleagues practice up to six hours a day, and they're only progressingly slightly faster than those of us who practice 10 minutes a day.
REALLY? FAR OUT! i hope im not wasting my time?

i do piano for 6 hours a day from 10am till 5pm.. in 50 minute sessions... so i do like 50 minutes, then take a 10 minute break and so on.... except... dis morning... i slept in.. lol hehe

i found its really good that way... to practise during the day.. so then u have the whole night to do watever! try it!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Phanatical said:
Some of my colleagues practice up to six hours a day, and they're only progressingly slightly faster than those of us who practice 10 minutes a day. I now play at about LMus level, beyond that even - and I haven't done any more than 10 minutes practice a day since 1999. I practice a piece for 10 minutes a day for a few days, leave it and come back weeks later, and I can find the piece is much easier to play than it was before.
Thats amazing! See, i find if I do that, it doesnt get drilled in my brain. I am the kinda person who will go over a 2 bar phrase for 2 hours just to get it right--maybe I should learn your way! Sound much better!

magician

HSC
Impressive!!

moon_styla said:
i do piano for 6 hours a day from 10am till 5pm.. in 50 minute sessions... so i do like 50 minutes, then take a 10 minute break and so on.... except... dis morning... i slept in.. lol hehe

i found its really good that way... to practise during the day.. so then u have the whole night to do watever! try it!
WOW!!!! I wish I was that dedicated!!!! I practise every now and then (probably 1-2 hours when I do) in holidays but towards exam time I start practising about 1 hour a day!! I'II probably start doing more this year since I really want to complete my L.Mus.A.

HSC
I practice when ever and not a specific time, but i dont sit down and practice a set thing, more just impro around scales and stuff and just muck round with it.

Josephine

HSC
Usually I did 2-3 hours on weeknights (cos of homework and all) and then 3-4 on weekends. But since I've finished, I'm not really learning any pieces, so now I play about 30 mins to an hour each day, if I can be bothered ;)

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Dont practice for hours, practice for RESULTS

Quality over quantity.

No ones gona give u a prize for practicing 6 hours a day

Its better to practice for half an hour a day but actually make it count

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
trumpet geek said:
Dont practice for hours, practice for RESULTS

Quality over quantity.

No ones gona give u a prize for practicing 6 hours a day

Its better to practice for half an hour a day but actually make it count
You know, i totally disagree.
I find that it is better to practice for hours than 10 minutes. Not only does it allow you to get into a state where you are going to be playing properly (after warming up etc), it also allows you to develop your chops so you can play gigs etc...you arent going to be called to play a half hour gig (unless you are very unlucky)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
demosthenes said:
I find that it is better to practice for hours than 10 minutes. Not only does it allow you to get into a state where you are going to be playing properly (after warming up etc), it also allows you to develop your chops so you can play gigs etc...you arent going to be called to play a half hour gig (unless you are very unlucky)
i agree lol.. but still like trumpet_geek says... its better to have an effective 30 minute practise than a 6 hour doodle... but wat i say is.. its EVEN BETTER if u do an effective 6 hour practise lol!! coz it does work..

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
demosthenes said:
yeah well it depends really. Playing for hours can improve ur endurance for sure. But the music that ur actually trying to play may not be improving. Ur technique may not be improving.

Each musician just has to find their own way of practicing. Wynton Marsalis practiced 6 hours a day when he was a teenager. I think it was Allen Vizzuti or someone - not sure though, who practiced only an hour a day. But they are just as good as each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)