Prelim for a subject you will drop (1 Viewer)

TheShy

HSC
Hey, so i plan on dropping bio next year so does it matter if i fail the prelims for it? I don't want to waste time studying for a subject that im not going to do, rather spend it studying on other subjects, so does it matter if i fail the subject?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
In all honesty, it doesn't matter, heck the whole of year 11 doesn't matter. I have failed a couple of subjects that I'm intending to keep so it doesn't really matter. Yeah, some people use like Ext.Maths as like an FP cause they would drop to ADV in year 12, so if you intend to drop it for next year, then not too much effort needs to be made... However, if you do good, it's kinda like a bonus.

beetree1

HSC
i would highly recommend not to decide what to drop until after task 2 hsc because only then will you be certain of what you want to drop. if i hadn't waited, i wouldve dropped my best subject right now. so i would suggest you to do your best in all subjects!

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
You can drop to 10 units in Year 12, and Prelims don't affect ATAR, but should you?

Personal preference: I would stick with it if dropping Bio means going to 10 Units. Having more free-time isn't really cutting it, especially for Prelim where time is more abundant. Having 10 units in early Year 12 would be a major risk for you none-the-less.

- If you were to fail one of the other subjects massively after dropping Bio, it affects some school ranking (I believe..) and there's no going back from it. That's why people often stick with their subjects until Task 2 to see what they're performing well in and drop what they're worst in.
- In the rare case of N Determination in 1 subject whilst doing 10 Units, it means no HSC for you.

There are actually advantages of dropping it though, mainly things such as flexibility and focusing on all the other subjects (but you'll need to do it well). But the final decision relies heavily on you, and heck, who knows if you'll actually do well in Bio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)