Preparation for Year 11 and Year 12 Maths (1 Viewer)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Recently, the teacher of the M1 class in my school loaned me one of the few existing copies (in the school) of "Revised 4 Unit Course - A Higher School Certificate Course in Mathematics Years 11 and 12". So this got me thinking. What should I be preparing ahead of time to make the path easier while I'm still in year 10? I'm in M4 and Maths isn't my strong subject (then again, neither is anything else really), even though I have a level of enthusiasm that is greater than the rest of my peers, barring a few exceptions. I have plenty of resources from a single person in Year 11, but I'm not sure what exactly I need. (Also, I am far less productive than other people, what with the dozen or so webcomics I read and a constant addiction to stay scientifically updated, along with my pessimistic nature.)

(Is this a loaded first post? I don't know what makes a topic post loaded)

TY if you managed to get halfway through my post.

IFELSE

TL;DR

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
depends what level of maths you want to do. i learnt ahead in year 10 but found that didn't help at all because the content was irrelevant. just make sure you do your homework every night and get into a habit of fully understanding the concepts.

maybe procrastinate a bit less, because its a habit you want to get rid of before year 11 and 12, otherwise it'll just be an extremely bad sequence of rushing assignments, being underprepared for assessments, etc.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Below is an extract from my senior study guide which you might find helpful. For the full guide, click on: http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

The only way you can study for maths is essentially to understand mathematical concepts, apply your understanding by practice questions of increasing difficulty, and checking your answers and working out with those provided by the textbook or with your teacher/tutor. Before each maths exam, I would also do a summary of all the formulas that I would need and all the tips and tricks for each topic and revise over that before the exam.

One very important tip is to avoid exposing yourself to new, difficult questions the day before the exam-you would often be panicked and this would worsen your exam performance because you are not entering the exam with a calm, clear mind.

Well, I had a habit to try to do my maths homework before it was set-so that I had more time for other subjects like English. I used an actual grid book-I found it particularly useful when I am drawing trigonometry graphs, but it is up to you, it doesn't really matter what type of book you use as long as you set out your questions neatly and in a legible manner. I did divide my pages in half, not to save space, because it was the format I was accustomed to. I would write out the question, write my working out, and ticked or crossed my own work by marking my answers with those of the textbook. And if I got a question wrong, I would re-do it several times until I get it right or I could ask my teacher. When I understood the mathematical concepts, I would then do practice trial papers to consolidate my knowledge.

One last important tip I can give you is that you need to ask questions the minute you don't understand something-don't leave any maths lessons without understanding everything about the maths concept conveyed-because maths is a sort of accumulative subject where if you don't understand something and don't clarify it, it can have a snowball effect. I have a habit of writing tips on the silly mistakes I've made or tips to do a certain type of question alongside questions I got wrong and I re-do these questions before the exam and remind myself to avoid making these mistakes.

MATHS is a subject that needs to be practiced on a daily basis, you cannot get away with studying it the day before the actual exam. You need to understand the approach to achieve a solution to the problems, not just knowing how to answer a problem, but knowing the different types of problems you can encounter in any topic and the variation in the solution method to achieve them. Essentially, practice, practice, practice is the key to succeed in Maths.

enoilgam

HSC
If you plan to pursue 2U maths or above, you need to have a strong grasp of Years 7 - 10 Maths. The step to 2u is pretty significant and if you havent mastered the junior school content, then you are really going to be up against it in Years 11 - 12. In terms of selecting 4U, that's really something which you need to consider after having gone through Year 11 - it's hard to say from now whether you will be capable, unless of course you are an extremely high achiever.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like they may be wanting to pursue 4 unit?

go_cadel

HSC
personally, if you want to practice certain topics ahead of time, i'd be practising topics which schools don't teach that well and which can take a longer time to grasp. topics include circle geo, probability/counting, maths induction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)