Private school scholarships (1 Viewer)

kkk579

hello
HSC
Bro, what should I study to be prepped for the acer scholarship test for y10?
I’m pretty sure the acer scholarship exams are like identical to the HAST exams (the test that some selective schools use to determine who they will take in as transfers for y8-11 entry). I actually sat the entry into y10 for 2023 HAST this year so I can send you the mock acer scholarship exams if you want.

kkk579

hello
HSC
The exam will consist of Reading Comprehension, Maths and Science and Written Expression.
(I’m not quite sure whether it’ll have abstract reasoning, although the HAST did have that the ACER website doesn’t state that the scholarship exams have AR.)
Also i’m just curious but what schools are you planning to apply for?

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
The exam will consist of Reading Comprehension, Maths and Science and Written Expression.
(I’m not quite sure whether it’ll have abstract reasoning, although the HAST did have that the ACER website doesn’t state that the scholarship exams have AR.)
Also i’m just curious but what schools are you planning to apply for?
Just trying for shore- bc nathan zhou boost and kinross wolarai school rn.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Besides the private schools, are you planning on applying for selective schools as well?
Nah, I wouldn’t be able handle the pressure, and all in all, people say there’s more facilities + very good teachers (due to the hefty salaries they get)

kkk579

hello
HSC
Nah, I wouldn’t be able handle the pressure, and all in all, people say there’s more facilities + very good teachers (due to the hefty salaries they get)
Besides the facilities and teachers, wouldn’t SHORE have a lot of pressure as well though? It’s better ranked than some selective schools (tbh not entirely sure since I don’t go there, just assuming)

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Besides the facilities and teachers, wouldn’t SHORE have a lot of pressure as well though? It’s better ranked than some selective schools (tbh not entirely sure since I don’t go there, just assuming)
eh, I'm currently attending kinross rn, and generally the students aren't completely wrapped up in the thought of getting 99.95 atar at the age of 12 - I don't like the feeling of knowing even your so called 'friends' are secretly in a battle to beat you yk? Shore isn't competitive from most people's accounts on the school, but it's never terrible to have a little push to motivate you to do well. It's just that the capacity from a selective school is just too much- and honestly is harmful for some people's wellbeing (not every1 though- some might find it easier to learn with competition). Personally, I found that this pressure only impedes my performance during formal exams, and so I figured I should keep it low, try exceling in a lower ranked school to ultimately attempt to get into my desired course.

idkkdi

HSC
getting a scholarship at shore is probably harder than getting into ruse lmao. shore seems pretty stingy wrt scholarships.

Vall

HSC
eh, I'm currently attending kinross rn, and generally the students aren't completely wrapped up in the thought of getting 99.95 atar at the age of 12 - I don't like the feeling of knowing even your so called 'friends' are secretly in a battle to beat you yk? Shore isn't competitive from most people's accounts on the school, but it's never terrible to have a little push to motivate you to do well. It's just that the capacity from a selective school is just too much- and honestly is harmful for some people's wellbeing (not every1 though- some might find it easier to learn with competition). Personally, I found that this pressure only impedes my performance during formal exams, and so I figured I should keep it low, try exceling in a lower ranked school to ultimately attempt to get into my desired course.
I've only been a part of one selective school (normanhurst boys), but I wouldn't say that our atmosphere was competitive (at least not against each other) and up until the 2nd half of yr12 I wouldn't even say that there was a studious atmosphere. There is definitely some pressure from teachers though - they expect their students to do well but that's because their students in previous years do well - but the teachers understand that most of the cohort doesn't need and isn't aiming for a .95 ATAR.
Also, don't underestimate the insane advantage of being part of a selective school for the alignment of your internal HSC marks (but I assume this would also be present at a school like shore just to a lesser extent).
A selective school also wouldn't require you to have to get a scholarship.
And there should be good teachers at selective schools just like private schools.

Anyway, the decision is yours but if I were you I'd probably do both the selective test and the scholarship test/s and then decide after getting results back. (btw are you planning to move? Kinross seems to be in Orange and shore is in sydney)

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I've only been a part of one selective school (normanhurst boys), but I wouldn't say that our atmosphere was competitive (at least not against each other) and up until the 2nd half of yr12 I wouldn't even say that there was a studious atmosphere. There is definitely some pressure from teachers though - they expect their students to do well but that's because their students in previous years do well - but the teachers understand that most of the cohort doesn't need and isn't aiming for a .95 ATAR.
Also, don't underestimate the insane advantage of being part of a selective school for the alignment of your internal HSC marks (but I assume this would also be present at a school like shore just to a lesser extent).
A selective school also wouldn't require you to have to get a scholarship.
And there should be good teachers at selective schools just like private schools.

Anyway, the decision is yours but if I were you I'd probably do both the selective test and the scholarship test/s and then decide after getting results back. (btw are you planning to move? Kinross seems to be in Orange and shore is in sydney)
Yeah we will move if we get the right school (we finished 10 yrs rural residency which means I'll be considered a rural student despite if I do hsc in sydney in diff school {just helpful bc that means I need like 91 atar for med}). Also I understand what you're saying, being that selective schools have a huge advantage via internals. Only issue is that even with a less competitive environment as you described before, It would be hard to adapt- given I've only been in private schools throughout my life. additionally, having the thought of being in selective school also upholds a fk tonne of pressure on its own (at least thats personally something I'd most likely deal w/). Pressure=bad marks=>99.95 atar=life over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)