Proposals (1 Viewer)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
My proposal is due next monday, so it would be really helpful if some of you can post your proposals on here as well as your mark. :)
cheers guys

veridis

droog
HSC
this is mine that i'm handing in on friday. not sure what mark it'l get but draft was a 4-4.5/5 and my teachers concerns were that my question was too vague/long(was "Evaluate the changing representations of the importance of the longbow at Agincourt 1415 and how it has changed over time") and my lack of source analysis, both in terms of perspective and how i would obtain them. I think i've covered all that now so this is hopefuly a 5/5 proposal

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
we did a verbal proposal so i dont have a copy of my proposal but i did write down a list of things in my journal of what you would need to include;

aim Just a genearl overview of what you are intended to study (basically your area of interest) and what you hope to get out of it - this would also be the perfect place to mention what questions you would be addressing from teh syllubus (in the what is history section there are the 4 questions - who are the historians / what is the purpose of history / how has history been constructed and recorded over time / why have the appraoches to the contrustrtion of history changed over time?)
you could also mention any personal aims that you have in relation to the project - ie. wanting to become a better organised student

focus question - what is the intial question that you will be investigating (make sure this has relevence to histiography - how historians view/debate your particular issue) - i.e How do the different schools of thought view hitler's invovlement in the hollocuast?

enquiry questions - otherwise knwon as focus questions which are aimed at keeping you on track thorughout the year - so you have your big essay quesion which you are exploring plus these little ones - they can be as simple as
- what is the main argument of the intentionalist school of history?
- what is the main argument of the functionalist school of history?
- how do these arguments differ?
- What are teh similarities?
they are basically a preliminary checklist so at the end of teh essay - when you have got tired of reading and checking your work you can say okay well the essay addressed all the enquiry questions

Research Intentions here you would talk about the intended evidence that you will be looking at - your topic may allow you to use films, documentaries, archeological evidence, anicent or modern written sources, diaries, personal memories - make a list of the types of historical evidence that you think that you will be looking at - if you have any preliminary titiles or ideas - say you were doing the JFK case - you may want to use a certain documetnary you saw on the History Channel - you can make a note of that here

This also includes methodology which is basically what method you are goign to be using to approach the essay - here is wehre i discussed possible sources

another good thing to include is a calander of important dates - find out now when it is due - and make up a time line of when you wnat to have various task done - this would include;
-initial research completed
-first draft completed
-first drafted edited
-extra research needed
- second draft
and so on

so that is a overview of some of the basis that yoru proposal should include

Plebeian

This was my final proposal which I wrote only a couple of weeks before the project was due, there were a few before this but they're handwritten. It got full marks.

K

katie_tully

my god
you are all my gods
i had no idea how to write my proposal, infact mine resembled a piece of crap stuck between the ridges on my shoe.

now i know what to do.
legends.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
silvermoon said:
Hey, i've finished forever now...thank god...but here's what mine was. it got full marks in the end.
I didnt know you could do it in point form....its internally marked anyway i guess

AJohnston1121

HSC
I agree. Although I handed my proposal in last year (the rest of class STILL hasn't handed in there) Mind was crappy I didn't know what the headings would be I can go back now and fill in the gaps :) Cause as katie_tully stated her looked like a peiece of crap in her show well mind looked like that aswell lol :)

Yes thanks guys. This helps alot.

HSC
A girl in my class reckons you can't use first person in your proposal, is that true? Mine has got many uses of "I" and "my" as I found it easier to talk about from my own perspective, will this matter?

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
I had this question when i was doing mine end of last term - different teachers prefer differnet things.
i used first person - its a proposal for your own project, so you invariably can't avoid using I, specifically referring to your actions, etc.
but some teachers are extremely formal in this regard, and you better check with your own teacher.

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
Yeh Sphyx has a good point, althoguh I'm not sure why ppl are so worried... isn't the proposal meant to be a casual sort of 'what are you going to do next?' kind of thing? At least it was for us - it's all marked together in the end anyway, and its almost impossible to lose marks on that. Just tell them what you want to do. Lol

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
Gryphondarks said:
- it's all marked together in the end anyway, and its almost impossible to lose marks on that.
what do you mean, marked together in the end? do you mean your proposal was marked together with your actual project?
i had to hand in my proposal end of last term, and its already marked. i aint that worried - i got full marks :uhhuh:

Plebeian

Different schools do different things. I had to hand in a preliminary proposal, which was read by the teacher to ensure we were on the right track, but not marked. We handed in a final proposal with our essay which was marked. I think the point of this was to recognise that research intentions and the direction of the project can change as you find out more about the subject matter.

darkling_lady

HSC
Hey all! My proposal is due tomorrow (STRESS!) So if any of you read this tonight... (lol) what do you think of this topic???

"How does the existence of the institution ‘The Quarantine Station’ reflect the history of Australia since the colonisation by Europeans?"

Btw, thanks for everyone putting up your proposals people! Its been really helpful to see how they're meant to look! And thanks everyone else for your comments! You've been great!

~~Darkling Lady~~

Last edited:

angel_tears

HSC
Proposal

Omg my teacher has never even mentioned a proposal, and it's due in 11 weeks!

zeenia_singh

HSC
I Love You People!!

Thanks everyone for sticking up your proposals! If I manage to get 100%, the drinks are on me!!

Cheers.

ane_st

HSC
mine is due on friday.. we're going to Macquarie uni this wednesday for help.. i want to do the Romanovs but havingn trouble with what kind of question... something like:
- Did any of the Romanovs survive?
or something along the lines of how they ruled... i have to be careful coz i do Modern History and i cant go to far into the syllabus... can anyone help?? if yes thankyou :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)