Psych articles on Video Game Violence (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Seeing as we've got a fair few psych students here, I was wondering if you'd come across many articles about the links between video game violence and real life aggression/violence/acts.

Also interested to know your thoughts on the matter!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I have come across a couple (my topic will be cognitive remediation and computer games, so i've come across a few computer game and violence related articles in my search by accident). Haven't saved any - but if you go to the 'PSYCHINFO' database and put it in the search engine you will find some.

From what i remember, they didn't generally do a good job in showing a direct link. Most aren't experimental, they use pre-existing populations - so they are along the lines of ' kids that play violent games are more likely to be violent.' That could, however, mean that violent children tend to play violent computer games and not the other way around.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh thanks!

I'll have a look at the today, I just need to find studies to try and 'put into question' you see ;) So many articles stating how bad video game covers are, and then extrapolating that to mean the in-game representation is the same *facepalm*

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Ahh thanks!

I'll have a look at the today, I just need to find studies to try and 'put into question' you see ;) So many articles stating how bad video game covers are, and then extrapolating that to mean the in-game representation is the same *facepalm*
Video game covers? As in the physical covers of the package? Don't think i've come across studies of that nature (you may find something on today/tonight though making those kind of extrapolations :p).

Last edited:
HSC
Seriously, that is the most stupid suggestion that video games make people violent. like, me watch starwars, but you don't see me building a space ship with all the ray gun and all those ears and stuff.

answer that!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stick to the HSC sections champ and let the older people talk k.

HSC
N/A
bos said:
Hello glitterfairy! It appears as though you've not participated in any discussions for several weeks.
Why not take a few moments to ask a question or to assist a student in need? :)
*eyeroll*

Not a Psych student, but I think you'd find some useful stuff just in regards to people feeling more comfortable with 'mediated communication' that essentially, all their anxieties and insecurities that they can't deal with so well in real life freak them out. Over time, extended lengths 'online' in their safe, controlled environment mean every time they step back into real life, they can't handle it - obvious with such an unbalanced system it's easy to see how something little could tip them over the edge, or progressively tip them over the edge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)