Psychology at ANU and Canberra Life (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science (Psychology) - will this allow me to get a job as a Psychologist? It is not the Psychology honours degree which i think is needed to by a Psychologist.

Also, what would be better - Armidale UNE or Canberra ANU?
What do you think of Canberra - and what other UNI's do you suggest (minus sydney) for a medical/science degree?

michael1990

HSC
I think Canberra is rated the top UNI in Australia?
Which is also rated on a world scale including Princeton and Harvard.

Also, i am thinking about doing the same degree with Commerce.
Any thoughts?

Lordsion

HSC
C'Mon

People must know!!! People must go to ANU!! lol

Evilo

HSC
ANU said:
Psychology has two specific aspects - scientific and professional. Although training in psychological science is a pre-requisite to professional training, professional training is not part of the undergraduate curriculum in university departments of psychology. In order to practice professionally, postgraduate training is required, and this is provided in many Australian universities as a higher degree (either MPhil, MClinPsych or PhD).

Students wishing to qualify to practice in areas such as clinical psychology should enrol in appropriate postgraduate courses. The professional body in Australia is the Australian Psychological Society. For associate membership, four years of academic training is required. For full membership, a postgraduate qualification over at least two full-time years is necessary. Registration is required to practice as a psychologist in any part of Australia. Information about qualifying for registration in the ACT can be found at the ACT Health website, and you can also see info. about overseas recognition of Australian degrees and qualifications.
http://psychology.anu.edu.au/info/morepsyc.php

hope this helps.

Evilo

HSC
FYI ANU > Armidale UNE

*removed the word canberra so people dont get confused with Canberra Uni (CU)

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
well, its should be university of canberra (UC), fondly known at the ANU as belconnen tafe.

frankly, ANU>>>all others

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It depends on the kind of work you want to do. It might be worth looking into Masters and PhD programs in areas like clinical psychology and neuropsychology. The psychology.org.au site has a pretty good list of niche areas of psychology that are probably worth reading over.

GreatRabbitWall

HSC
A BSc(Psych) itself won't make you a psychologist. You will need to do honours with it. A BSc(Psych) with honours or BPsych(Hons) will allow you to get provisional registration as a psychologist (full rego comes after 2yrs supervised practice). Alternatively, you can do a 2-year MPsych (at the end, you can get full registration as a psychologist).
To do psychology honours, you need to complete a sequence of psychology courses. These can be completed in degrees like BArts, BScience or PhB. See http://psychology2.anu.edu.au/honours/

Note that at ANU you cannot combined a Bachelor of Medical Sciences with any other degree.

BComm/BSc(Psych) is pretty good - I do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)