Psychology/Law? (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
Hey Guys,
How is the Bachelor of Psychology/Law degree at UWS? Was just curious..
Is it a plausible avenue for trasnsferring to Medicine 2nd year?
I had a discussion and they said anyone from ANY course with a gradepoint av of 5.5 and UMAT can transfer into Medicine. Is this true?
Any inputs would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thank you!

mash121

HSC
yes any degree can transfer into med, just as long as you get the umat and gpa requirement.

SanjoyM

HSC
yes any degree can transfer into med, just as long as you get the umat and gpa requirement.
UWS normally advertises that Advanced Medical Science is easier to transfer to Medicine. This is not true, right?
HOW can I transfer from UWS psyc/law to UNSW medicine? Would you recommend that I transfer to UWS medicine first and then transfer to UNSW med?
Really confused.. sorry.

SanjoyM

HSC
Instead of the UMAT, could you possibly sit for GAMSAT?
Traumatic experiences with UMAT :|

Pfortune35

HSC
Psy/Law an interesting combo. If you have your heart set on med then maybe med sci is better.

BUt what jobs can you get with a med sci degree?

these are questions you have to ask.

SanjoyM

HSC
Psy/Law an interesting combo. If you have your heart set on med then maybe med sci is better.

BUt what jobs can you get with a med sci degree?

these are questions you have to ask.
Yes, exactly!! Psych/law provide decent job opporunities. However, my ultimate aim is to transfer to Medicine 2nd year. Tbh, med sci seems a bit dull.. (LOL)

mash121

HSC
UWS normally advertises that Advanced Medical Science is easier to transfer to Medicine. This is not true, right?
HOW can I transfer from UWS psyc/law to UNSW medicine? Would you recommend that I transfer to UWS medicine first and then transfer to UNSW med?
Really confused.. sorry.
sorry i dont really know the answer to those questions it would be better to ask someone else or call up the uni and ask them, also about uws or unsw med i would just get into which ever accepts you first and then transfer to the uni you prefer

SanjoyM

HSC
sorry i dont really know the answer to those questions it would be better to ask someone else or call up the uni and ask them, also about uws or unsw med i would just get into which ever accepts you first and then transfer to the uni you prefer
It's okay :) Once again, thank you for answering the initial question.
Btw, do you attend UWS?
People seem to be denigrating it!! -.- It's not THAT bad, hopefully.

Dylanamali

HSC
You will never be able to transfer directly into 2nd year Medicine..
you haven't done any of the units.

Adv Sci or Adv Med Sci is your best option.. lowered UMAT score required then if you were to transfer from a LLB.

UNSW is completely impossible now with your ATAR.
All other uni's are preety much fair game as they look at GPA.

SanjoyM

HSC
You will never be able to transfer directly into 2nd year Medicine..
you haven't done any of the units.

Adv Sci or Adv Med Sci is your best option.. lowered UMAT score required then if you were to transfer from a LLB.

UNSW is completely impossible now with your ATAR.
All other uni's are preety much fair game as they look at GPA.
Hey,
What I meant was to transfer from Psych/Law to Medicine 1st year during my 2nd year at university.
Would it be possible to transfer from Psych/Law at UWS to UNSW Medicine?
Thank you.

Dylanamali

HSC
Not UNSW Med.. absolute minimum ATAR required is 96. And they still consider ATAR for applicants.

SanjoyM

HSC
Do they not consider grade point av, not ATAR? This is confusing (LOL)
A lot of people have stated that UNSW medicine consider UMAT scores and grade point average from the previous course.

SanjoyM

HSC
If you have 1 year of uni..... UNSW calculates a new "adjusted ATAR" based on the average of your year 12 ATAR and 1st year university results.
Thank you for the clarification :)
I guess I'll try UNSW med. If not, transfer to UWS med itself. :)
Once again, thank you.

SanjoyM

HSC
Also, why "Psychology/Law"?

If you want medicine... you'd be better off with choosing a 3-year degree... any 3-year degree.
So that if you keep screwing up UMAT and interview.... you can finish your bachelor degree sooner and possibly get into medicine @ usyd sooner.
The degree seems interesting. Psych/law seem quite intriguing as well - I have always been interested in these two areas.
+ I want to transfer to Medicine during my 2nd year at Uni. Do not intend completing the course, transferring to Medicine with a grade point av of 5.5 and decent UMAT to 1st year Medicine during my 2nd year.

Which other courses would you recommend?

Dylanamali

HSC
I definitely agree with utopianradical.

You should choose a 3 year course - unless you are unbelievably confident with your UMAT and interview skills.
By the sounds of it - it comes across as you believe that getting into Medicine is quite easy..
"I guess I'll try UNSW med. If not, transfer to UWS med itself."

It definitely is not.

Let me clarify.. From reading previous posts your ATAR was around 94.25?
If you manage to get a 7.0 GPA (all HD's) in the first year of university this will push your "Academic rank" to 97.1.
With an academic rank of 97.0 you need a UMAT raw of 67 to get an interview.
A 67 UMAT raw is equivalent to about 96/97%ile.
And with that being said, even if you manage to achieve those scores you will only be 'borderline'/the cut off of receiving an interview.

In my opinion you should choose Adv Sci @ UWS if medicine is truly what you want.
If you want more info on why it's a good option, I've written a few extensive posts on my experiences of the course:
http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/f52/uws-advanced-science-pathway-into-uws-medicine-25975/

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Maintaining a HD average is easier said than done in uni, if you fail to.. you'll lose your chance at med. lol

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey Guys,
How is the Bachelor of Psychology/Law degree at UWS? Was just curious..
Is it a plausible avenue for trasnsferring to Medicine 2nd year?
I had a discussion and they said anyone from ANY course with a gradepoint av of 5.5 and UMAT can transfer into Medicine. Is this true?
Any inputs would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thank you!
Hi, Please note that we do not offer a combined degree in Psychology and Law. Instead, you could do a Bachelor of Arts with a Bachelor of Laws, and you could opt to do a major in Psychological Studies within the Arts degree. In terms of later on applying for medicine, the GPA score you would need would depend on how long you study the double degree before deciding to apply for medicine. Please see the School of Medicine website for the exact GPA requirements: http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs/ Please note that in addition to GPA requirements, you will also need to sit the UMAT test. For further information, please contact us on 1300 897 669 or study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, Team U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)