PwC Economics Competition (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

It's that time of year again where schools enter the annual Economics Competition. Your teachers should have given you info by now, but if they haven't, remind them that the closing date is approaching (8th April). This is a nationwide competition and tests student's skills of core business studies knowledge and their general knowledge outside the scope of what's taught at school.

I encourage you to visit the website: www.studentcompetitions.org to download past papers and read about the details of the competition. The date of the exam is 19 May 2005.

pete_mate

HSC
whats 28/40 like in the 2004 economics quiz? credit or distinction or participation?

Will Hunting

HSC
How do you get involved in this thing? Neither my school, nor I, have ever heard of it, but there's no way I want to miss out!

azza_3761

HSC
Will Hunting said:
How do you get involved in this thing? Neither my school, nor I, have ever heard of it, but there's no way I want to miss out!
Im sort of in the same boat. I suggest u go to the website mentioned above and just talk to your teacher or subject co-ordinator about doing it. The website has everything u need to sign up.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
azza_3761 said:
Im sort of in the same boat. I suggest u go to the website mentioned above and just talk to your teacher or subject co-ordinator about doing it. The website has everything u need to sign up.
in less than a week i dont think the school have that ability to get students to join asap.

Will Hunting

HSC
So, what do you lads know about the comp? Is it a multiple choice thing like the Maths, Science etc.?

HayleeKate

HSC
I got a HD last year, i was so stoked only being part way through prelim, and i got cash prize, made my day! $100 for doing a multiple choice test? anyday!!

funnyperson1000

Kelly Clarkson is Hot! ^^
HSC
I got HD but didn't get to know my mark... :(
I want to aim for a prize this year! :D
And this time I'll know who Adam Smith Is!!! :vcross:
Good luck to all

B

Bambul

I was the head of the question setting panel this year (which basically means I get the fun job of writing between a quarter to half of the questions - fun fun!)

If I can give you a few hints on how to do well:

• Check the previous year's papers. You can get them from here.
  • Know what you're taught. A lot of the questions are very similar to what you might get in a multiple choice exam at school. Standard things like supply/demand, unemployment, government policy, etc. Obviously if you're only in year 11 you won't know as much as someone in year 12, but the competition is graded separately for year 11 and year 12 for this reason so everyone is on a level playing field.
  • Learn about economics that's outside the syllabus. There are many questions whose material is not taught in years 11 and 12 (this is not meant to be a mini-HSC). Those are the questions that separate the good students from the top students. If you do wider reading and keep up with current economic trends then you will be at an advantage.
  • Read the questions! Easy marks are often lost because of this.
  • Don't spend too much time on one question. There are only 50 minutes, that's a little over 1 minute per question. If you are spending too much time on one question, leave it and come back to it later if you have time.
  • The answers to the last 5 questions are... Didn't think you could get me that easily did you? :D

funnyperson1000

Kelly Clarkson is Hot! ^^
HSC
Hey guys, its advisable not to discuss the solutions to the Eco comp on Thursday as some people will be doing it on Friday :uhhuh:

azza_3761

HSC
funnyperson1000 said:
Hey guys, its advisable not to discuss the solutions to the Eco comp on Thursday as some people will be doing it on Friday :uhhuh:
Ok but in general wat did people generally think of the comp.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
I almost said "Oh my God!" out loud when I saw 'James Minai' in the helpers section on the last page of the exam. :D

In other news... answered everything (thought not with a great deal of confidence).

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
i did it on friday.. didnt even know what it was, last period as well so tired.. meh least it was multiple choice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)