Qualitatively Identify Sulfate Ions (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Anybody got any websites and/or tests for identifying sulfate ions in a sample of drinking water?

I have an assignment where I have to do a whole experimental report (aim, method, etc.) I've just had a load of trouble finding relevant information from libraries as my computer is currently gettign upgraded...this is being typed from a school computer.

Can anybody give me a handereeny?

HSC
this is from memory so look it up, adding barium should form precipitate with sulfate

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
taxman said:
Anybody got any websites and/or tests for identifying sulfate ions in a sample of drinking water?

I have an assignment where I have to do a whole experimental report (aim, method, etc.) I've just had a load of trouble finding relevant information from libraries as my computer is currently gettign upgraded...this is being typed from a school computer.

Can anybody give me a handereeny?
Sulphate ions form a white precipitate with barium, calcium or phosphate ions.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
bEAbEA said:
do we have to memorize all of the tests? Coz thats a lot!
You have no idea how many times I've heard that question being asked, or how many times I asked it myself, hoping in vain that the answer will be no. :p

YES. We need to know our solubility rules. :(

HSC
dont keep rewriting it you'll probably forget, instead try to make mind maps, or apply it to lots of questions eventually you memorise it from that, for example i havent memorised the periodic table but the common used elements on it i memorised the symbol, atomic number and mass

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Sulphate ions form a white precipitate with barium, calcium or phosphate ions.
PO4 3- + SO4 2- = ? :D

Any of these 2+ cations will form insoluble white precipitates with sulfate ions;
Calcium
Strontium
Barium
Lead
Mercury
Silver

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
PO4 3- + SO4 2- = ? :D

Any of these 2+ cations will form insoluble white precipitates with sulfate ions;
Calcium
Strontium
Barium
Lead
Mercury
Silver
I meant lead! Lead! :( Pb and PO4 both start with "P"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)