Question about 3U Maths (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
Hi,

I am a newb in this forum and I have a few questions about 3U Maths in year 11.

- Is 4u in year 12 infinately harder than 3u in year 11?
- Can anyone with motivation do 4u or is it a select few?
- Its 3u maths like advanced maths in year 10?

thanks in advance

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hi, I'm trialling 4U Maths in Year 11/12, so can't answer your first two questions (with the second one, I mean, people who will actually stay to complete the course). With teh third question, 3U is not 'just' like Advanced, but yes, a lot of skills learnt in the Advanced course will carry over into 3U. If you're dubious, try out for a term, and you can always drop to 2U if you're struggling. Things like co-ordinate geometry and trigonometry are basic 2U work, so if you find topics like those easy, you're definitely a candidate for 3U.

If you want more answers, perhaps post on the Maths Extension 1 forum or post on the Year 11 forum for people like me crossing over into Year 12.

Good luck!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You're going waaaaay ahead of yourself!

Try doing 3unit maths. Try EVERYTHING!!! That way you can drop stuff etc, and by the end of year 11, if you've kept 3unit maths, your teacher as well as your own intuition will tell you whether 4unit is good for you.

As personal experience, Advanced maths in year 10 was different from Year 11 3unit. It's a build up, like year 8 was for year 9 etc.

but yeah the best advice: try it out!
if you regret it, you can drop it!

EDIT: motivation will always take you places :)

Stan..

HSC
Thanks for all response,
I thought i should clarify my second question,
What I am trying to get at is, Is 4u in year 12 ONLY a good choice if you have got consistant 90s all throught school 7-10 inclusive. Or someone like me who has been getting 70s-80s with decent teachers and a pathetic tutor.. even has a chance or is that UAI suicide?

amandaz

Stan.. said:
Thanks for all response,
I thought i should clarify my second question,
What I am trying to get at is, Is 4u in year 12 ONLY a good choice if you have got consistant 90s all throught school 7-10 inclusive. Or someone like me who has been getting 70s-80s with decent teachers and a pathetic tutor.. even has a chance or is that UAI suicide?
the thing is...different ppl have different experiences
ME? well i was always good at maths when i was younger...& i did adv maths in yr9/10...but then the content got a bit too hard, i didnt study that much, blah blah blah and i didnt do great....'just' failed a few, just passed a few. i never topped tests (that was the asians job- which they did exceptionally well)...and then i did 3u just for the sake of it- i was gonna drop after a month if i didnt like it.
to cut a long story short, i ended up coming consistently 1st in yr11, and then decided to do 4u (again just for the sake of it)
it was hard, and i didnt do as much work as i should of (like doing my homework), and in the hsc exam i reckon i got 55% raw...but that will scale.

so i guess the moral of the story is that it depends on your person, as others have said try ur best at 3u first, n then give 4u a try. but u've got to be dedicated, and willing to put the hard yards in...which i wasnt

Trev

stix
HSC
i sucked at maths, well didnt suck but i was bout ur level i spose in yr 7,8,9 then sumhow came equal 1st in math last yr and this yr (prelim) for ext. i surprisingly do hardly any maths,. im doin 4u too, we finished our first topic - complex numbers, and ive found that so much easier than the first topic of yr 12 3u, geometrical applications of calculus, tho thats probly on my behalf for not doing the work or learning the formula stuff :) but yeh. at start of yr 10 i didnt think i was capable for ext math, and start of prelim i didnt think i was capable for 4u (i even thought bout dropping 3u); just stick with it and ull b fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)