Question about HSC marks (1 Viewer)

mr_tizzle

HSC
N/A
Hi, just have a few questions regarding how HSC marks are calculated. I am wondering whether internal marks are scaled or not, as they seem to have been with mathematics (assessment mark 81, but raw was ~68-72), but with other courses the assessment mark given was 3-8 points lower than the raw internal assessment mark, even for subjects i came first in. In the case of one subject, my raw internal mark for extension history was ~83, but was given as 70 on my results table (ranked ~2/3 in a small (6) but fairly strong cohort). Just looking for some clarification on how the process of determining the marks in done. Thanks

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Internal marks are moderated to the school's exam marks.

In the case where your internal mark is lower than the school reported - that means that your cohort didn't do as well as the school expected so the top mark was lower and that pulled down everyone else.

mr_tizzle

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply, also wondering about chem, exam mark and assessment both 91 but my raw internal was ~95 and im ranked first?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the reply, also wondering about chem, exam mark and assessment both 91 but my raw internal was ~95 and im ranked first?

Means that you got the highest mark in the external HSC, so that moderated the internals..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The raw internal mark was moderated to the external marks. Your were ranked first so your internal mark was equivalent to the highest exam mark - which was 91 from all appearances. That is why you ended up with 91 across the board.

The raw internal marks are only used to determine ranks and relative gaps between ranks but otherwise has no role e.g. would you have been so concerned if your were ranked first on a raw mark of 85 but ended up with 91???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)